Grey Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Grey Group Chairman and CEO Jim Heekin III

Jim Heekin III

Pros:
  • "The people are great and the creative work product is phenomenal"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Beautiful office space with good people"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance not great, but such is the way with advertising"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Very long hours are assumed with no OT"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was a good one as I was there almost 32 years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Grey Group

ProsI enjoyed working with my team and other departments. It was a friendly, open environment.

ConsI don't have anything negative to add.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your dedicated employees.

Grey

I have been working at Grey Group

Prosin a great location now

Conseveryone is looking over their shoulder

Great company and great office space

Senior Digital Analyst (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Grey Group full-time for more than a year

Pros-Overall, good leadership and good sense of direction
-Won every accolade imaginable recently (Ad Age Global Agency of the Year, Ad Week Agency of the Year)
-Company has worked hard to change their values and culture which has transformed Grey as a top tier agency that's constantly winning new business (if not the top)
-Office space and location are great

Cons-Flat level organization so less chance for promotional opportunities
-Have outgrown office space so some people sit in less than ideal locations
-Some departments seem overworked

Depends on the team

Account Executive (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Grey Group full-time for more than a year

ProsNice offices, there is definitely talent around (whether or not they work with you is another matter)

Cons-There are definitely incompetent people in middle management, supervisors who treat their staff as if they owned them. HR and senior managers do very little to help.
-Little opportunity to be promoted, although lateraling from group to group is easy.
-Low pay for the industry.

Lots of talent poor growth opportunities

Project Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Grey Group full-time for less than a year

ProsBeautiful office space with good people. Good team building events

ConsExecs treat their staff as though they own them. If you decide to leave for another opportunity they tell the team that you 'stabbed them in the back'.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave emotions at the door, if a member of staff leaves this could be a good indicator that you as a leader many need to change.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Grey Group

ProsGreat company - loved working there

ConsGreat training ground for media planners

Great Brand, Great Ideas

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at Grey Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNo end of work in a fast paced client driven self starter reliant organization with a long history building products from nothing into mainstays of global households - these are the folks that "invented" tide as an empty box for P&G to put something side of.

ConsIts more like a raft of small companies adrift on a sea of uncertainty lashed together by the corporate masthead often moving in different directions with no greater goal than revenue - where's the actual mission?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop staring at the bottom line.

Great people, great company, awesome work product

Intern (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Grey Group as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people are great and the creative work product is phenomenal. The company does a lot of things to make it a warm and inviting atmospohere - and they certainly succeed in that effort.

ConsThe pay can certainly be a bit better - having said that, the pay is pretty standard for the advertising industry, so it's not too bad.

Grey is a cool company but there are many systematic issues that needs changing!

Former Creative (Former Employee)

I worked at Grey Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros> Beautiful office space top to bottom; has a very contemporary look that is indeed unique!

- Buzzfeed.com, Tiffany & Co, and other big name companies are also residents in this lavish space

- A glass surrounding interior courtyard is very beautiful to look at and even better that you can go outside when it's nice. Gotta add an amazing upper rooftop that has a beautiful NYC view and nice amenities to complement

> Name recognition is huge as Grey is one of THE most respected creative shops in advertising period. This holds true as one huge business acquisition last year easily gave us the title of Global Agency of The Year 2013!

> A pretty diverse culture here as we have many different cultures to set a decent balance in the office.

> Location is pretty awesome as we're literally next door to great eateries like Shake Shack, Eately, Edo Sushi, Sushi Samba, Resto, and more (you get the idea)

> The agency is a behemoth as we've grown for over a decade! Grey has one of the longest standing relationships w/ clients in the industry as you'll definitely hear them say it all the time

- There are many account teams, strategists, and creative people that offers an endless amount of resources for any employee to leverage

- Really Really smart people overall which is telling for a Creative shop in NY

Cons> Grey just like any other shop has blemishes that needs to be taken with each dose

- Although people are very smart @ Grey, I believe many of them are a bit narcissistic and unrealistic on reality that this is still an agency shop like any other

- Many employees can become very cliquey. It's like HS again when people try to be the cool kids on the block

- Since acquiring new huge accounts, the attention seems to gravitate towards the new accounts or the sexy name accounts rather than those that has been here the longest and spent money for a long time which is ironic since we teach our clients that it's cheaper and more effective to retain customers than to spend money on acquiring new hot name clients that'll flee in a split second

- A huge problem w/ the company is HR!!! They're arguably the most inept group of people I've seen in years. There's a huge disconnect b/n employees and HR especially how they treat us like just another cog in the wheel mentality.

- Work/Life balance is not ubiquitous at Grey although I've notice many that come in late at 9:45am and leave around 5:30 or earlier which is laughable since I work late pretty much every night.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease offer better training, bonuses, and growth! It's important that Grey realizes that people not executives make the company to what it is. If you offer your employees growth & prosperity they'll exemplify loyalty thru good times and bad. Remember, people will grow professionally with or without you eventually as you'll need talent to keep the engine going.

A good community of people but hard to advance

I have been working at Grey Group full-time for more than 10 years

Proslarge enough to have a variety of specialists that you can come to for support

Consmany layers to go through so spontaneity is scarce.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just hire digital talent to make you digital, really support them.

Worked for Grey Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Grey Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Grey Group CEO Jim Heekin III. All 90 reviews posted anonymously by Grey Group employees.