Greyhound Reviews

Not my cup of tea

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Greyhound full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Easy access from public transportation

Cons

You don't want to know

Involve your subordinates, make them feel important too.

Not Good

Former Employee - Call Center Agent  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Dallas, TX

I worked at Greyhound as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good pay if you make your quota

Cons

Bad management
    Start you off at minimum then after 90 days they increase to 9 plus commission if any
    Break room is pathetic

Good opportunity for Tenure....if you can stand it that long. HORRIBLE company

Current Employee - Digital Customer Service  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Digital Customer Service in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Greyhound full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity to have a long tenure with a 100 year old company, Free bus travel (if you can use it...it takes days and days to get anywhere on a bus) Company gives free DART passes for corporate employees living in Dallas Ft. Worth, Good people to work with

Cons

Numerous cons. For starters, the company's achillies heal is it's fare and booking software. It was written in 1989 (no not making this up) Because of this archaic software, Greyhound can not give a decent web site experience, use electronic tickets, can not tell customers (or employees) where busses are. This company is stuck in the late 80's in technology, and upper management is fighting tooth and nail to upgrade it. There is a "good ol Boy network here. Many complacent mangers who are lazy, drivers are rude to passengers, mis communication between all departments (one had does not know what the other is doing...and there are ALOT of hands in the company), Employees in the field who do not use the bags system properly, and therefore customer's bags become "missing". Company is very money poor and will not spend any cash to help fix these issues. They constantly try to cut corners and make one person do the job of 2 or even 3. Customer service is so over worked, they are burned out. The old timers go around saying "we are an icon in the travel industry" when clearly we are a joke. And the one I find the most sickening "only 1 percent of our customers complain" The arrogance here is just mind boggling (yes I am looking for another job and will be leaving here as soon as I find one)

Advice to Firstgroup America, the parent company would be fire everyone and start over from scratch. It's time forward, modern thinkers get into the game and bring this company out of the dark ages and into the 21st century. We have old managers who still have visions of the glory days of Greyhound and think all is well. All is NOT well. Just listen to your passengers who are angry, listen to your disgruntle employees who are miserable, and make some real changes. GET RID OF TRIPS and bring in a modern web based booking program we can actually USE. Get a decent CRM for our customer service team. Get working GPS in the buses so ALL EMPLOYEES both in the customer service team, and in the field know where a bus is. Hold a mass retraining class on all policies (and think about changing the non customer service friendly policies to more customer friendly ones) empower your employees to make decisions outside of the box to aid in the customer, and not make them angry......I can go on, but I am just talking to a brick wall.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HR assistant

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Greyhound full-time for less than a year

Pros

People, Training, and the enviroment is laid back

Cons

None really. Tedious tasks

They are really good.

"All the work is place on one person, it happens to be me."

Current Employee - Fleet Services  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Fleet Services in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Greyhound full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Besides working in corporate, other good positions are being a bus driver, mechanic and/or in management.

Cons

Once management notices you are an excellent worker they will exploit you. My first year I was responsible for cleaning the terminal, exterior of property and performing my current job duties such as throughly servicing fleets-clean interior and exterior of buses. I work alone on an 8 hour shift servicing 8 buses, not including doubles, deadheads, or buses that are cut because a driver doesn't want to drive there schedule. I only have an average of 30 minutes to clean each bus. Also I'm the only employee held responsible for cleaning maintenance facility restrooms, driver's area, mechanic's office, scrubbing the garage and wash bays floors while other fleet workers are allow to service buses only. Managers are always preaching On-Time Performance (OTP), and teamwork. Drivers are always 2 hours late, then managers/supervisors expect you to perform a miracle on buses. The Union and Corporate will unite forces together if you challenge or question there executive plans. The manager who hired me said my position starts @ 11.00/hr that was a lie more like $9.48/hr and currently I'm earning close to $11.03/hr after 5 years.

Now that they consider themselves The "New Greyhound" hold every employee accountable for the job you hired them to perform, instead of letting your "EYES and EARS" receive a pass. Increase pay and discipline drivers who are excessively late. Also stop trying to have a perfect schedule leave some room for error.

These challenges often leave me feeling exhausted and overwhelmed.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Motor Coach Operator  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Motor Coach Operator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Greyhound full-time for less than a year

Pros

My ability to manage my emotions and remain calm under pressure it has a direct link to my performance.

Cons

Conflicts with dispatcher wanted to send me in two different directions at the same time.

Mixed bag

Former Employee - Greyhound Bus Driver  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Greyhound Bus Driver in New York, NY

I worked at Greyhound full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Chance to see the country and interact with a diverse group of co-workers and passengers. Pay is decent compared to other inter-city carriers. Only have to deal with management when in terminals. Bus operators spend 90% of their time away from terminals

Cons

Uneven working schedule for new drivers. Some locations have deep seniority lists. Confrontational attitude by some members of management.

An ok company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Greyhound part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I got the experience working with all kinds of people as well as development in account and customer relations.

Cons

The pay did not match the type of work. There would be so many upset passengers because the bus was late and us ticket agents wont be given a clue on why and how the bus became this late.

Pay more to customer service agents and ticket agents. If you pay poorly you will only expect to attract ill acting employess.

HR dissappointments

Former Employee - Ticket Agent  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Ticket Agent in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Greyhound part-time for less than a year

Pros

there will be times when you can help someone who is down on there luck and you will go home happy because of it

Cons

The computer system (TRIPS) is old, slow, and terrible
    The Management truly lacks HR skills and are only professional when corporate is around
    Most of the staff lacks customer service skills- you will see someone unnecessarily overcharged at some point
    Very fast paste environment and ticket agents aren't allowed to sit down like other terminals. you are on your feet the entire 8 hour shift

work on treating your customers and employees with more respect and the turnover rate wouldn't be so high and you could maintain more repeat customers

Political

I worked at Greyhound

Pros

They are remaking the company with the Transformation project touching IT with new technology to drive the company into the 21st century

Cons

Very political environment. pockets of competing groups. decision by committee is very frustrating.

Worked for Greyhound? Contribute to the Community!