Greyhound Reviews

Dave Leach

Go Greyhound ?

Current Employee - Professional Operator in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Professional Operator in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Greyhound full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary and benefits. Good for people who like to travel

Cons

Poor working conditions, old equipment (Buses and terminal). Lack of security screening at terminals

Adversarial relationonship between Drivers and management makes job difficult . Not having good working equipment, clean safe working environment(ie bus rest rooms, customer security screening). Overall I enjoy working with 98% of my co workers but sometimes feel I am put in situations were I cannot perform my job to the best of my abliity and provide the best service to the customer because of management decisions.

Not the most rewarding job ever,but there's room for advancement.

Current Employee - Platform Service Agent in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Platform Service Agent in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Greyhound full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work with great people with good personalities. If you show a willingness to learn more about the job there is room for you to advance.

Cons

They try to get by with as few staff members on a shift as possible.If labor costs are low then management will receive larger bonuses. This only causes employees to have to work twice as hard for the same amount of money. They also do their best to keep everyone under 40 hours a week and most under 30 hours.

Overall a good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Greyhound

Pros

Current management does a good job empoyering employees to make grade level appropriate decisions. Management also does a good job communicating information through the various levels of the organization.

Cons

The company is still very traditional in area of flexible work hours and tele-commuting for corporate employees. They still require pretty much normal business hours and 100% in office attendence everyday with virtually no flexibility. Overtime hours can also be expected depending on the job level making work / family life balance issues a little bit of a struggle.

Would prefer to have better flex and/or tele-commuting options avaialble to help better balance work/family life. In addition more professional training programs for the employees such as managerial, time management, computer training etc. would be helpful. Overall though it is a good company to work for.

Great people but clueless corporate parent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Greyhound

Pros

Great company culture; hardworking staff; good headquarters location in downtown Dallas on DART rail line; many loyal and long-tenured employees

Cons

Pay, merit raises and bonuses can be sub-par - depends on the department; recent acquisition by a new corporate parent resulted in layoffs, overworked employees and many dropped balls; too many layers of management involved in basic decision-making.

Communicate Greyhound's quarterly performance to employees at all levels, work is needed to re-build HQ morale to per-acquisition levels; focus more on the customer experience and less on counting beans

Too disorganized and a severe lack of customer service knowledge by employees at all levels.

Current Employee - Motorcoach Operator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Motorcoach Operator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Greyhound

Pros

Plenty of work if you want it.

Cons

Outdated equipment and managers who have no experience operating a motor coach or idea what drivers must endure.

Raise the standards for all employees.

It's a good job once you have enough seniority to have your own run and not be "on call"

Current Employee - Motorcoach Operator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Motorcoach Operator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Greyhound

Pros

Pay is good. Once you leave the bus station, you are on your own. Nobody looking over your shoulder. If you have a good bus, and good passengers, then you can really have a great day.

Cons

In all transportation, you are on call when you are first hired. Basically, at Greyhound, you have no life until you build up seniority. You are a slave to the telephone. You will not get to enjoy the holiday's, but they warn you about that when they hire you. Dealing with the traveling public can be frustrating also. Have to deal with drunks, mental, and just sometimes mean people.

The company is trying to turn things around because of the added pressure of Megabus and other bus lines. They should really try to turn the culture around. A lot of drivers look at passengers as "the enemy". These people pay to ride, not to be treated any kind of way.

An comfortable job if your trying to gain experience with all types of people

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Greyhound

Pros

Exposed me to the many personalities of people when it comes to needing to get from point a to point b. This job made me better for future jobs especially working in the inner city and dealing with all types of people. Schemers at it's best. If you don't have the patience, it isn't for you. Customer Service has to be the main focus and a level head.

Cons

The management we're good but then they laid alot of workers off which I felt was because they were threatened of their jobs being replaced. The chances are being high in management is slim when you are very smart. They want you to be a doll and don't want you to have much of an opinion to better the atmosphere.

Listen to the people who deal first hand with the public. Your business wouldn't be anything without them. A machine isn't the answer to the problems. But than again, most management in companies that are doing bad thing like robots/machines and wonder why they don't progress.

interesting

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Greyhound

Pros

Overall Job Stability with the company is good. In the respect that it has a good market share in the transportation industry.

Cons

No growth for educationally adavced persons. Most persons hired do not have college level education or above; therefore, the level of foresight and proactivity to trends is dramatically reduced. Consequently, causing disparity within the ranks.

To analyze the trends and implement programs and policies that would address the companys overall preformance to be more engaging in the future

Great

Current Employee - Bus Driver in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Bus Driver in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Greyhound

Pros

ralaxed schedule and good people around

Cons

not paying very well indeed

Training to promote

greyhound wants your soul

Former Employee - Driver in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Driver in New York, NY

I worked at Greyhound

Pros

the money if your willing to work

Cons

no personal life...a single mans job

none...there's a sucker born every minute