GridPoint Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014
2.2

Todd M. Raba

Employees' work contributes to GridPoint's upward momentum

I have been working at GridPoint full-time for less than a year

Pros

I hit the ground running from my very first day at GridPoint. I've been given more responsibilities here than at past companies and know I am gaining valuable experience to grow in my career. The people I work with are not only very intelligent and driven, but are also a lot of fun. GridPoint is a dynamic company that’s providing innovative solutions for customers while helping facilitate the “greening” of society. Our CEO, Todd Raba, has a clear vision and plan for GridPoint and I feel like the work I am doing on a day to day basis contributes to the overall success of the company, which I find very motivating.

Cons

I've heard a lot about the company’s management struggles in the past. While the company morale and culture is much improved, it’s still a talking point among employees that have been around longer. It seems like they have a little trouble letting the past go, but overall employees are definitely transitioning from being reactive to proactive, a key factor for GridPoint’s continued growth.

Continue being transparent with employees about GridPoint's position and strategic plans.

Some good people, but systemic business dysfunctions = Not going anywhere fast.

I worked at GridPoint full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some great people in the company. The location is awesome if you live in Arlington, or take the metro. The HR group was organized, professional, and helpful. There is a relatively new CEO is who is far better than the last one. You may get stock options. Work/life balance is pretty good for most people, with reasonable hours. Not a terrible place to work, but it can be a frustrating place to work. It's a risky bet but as long as you know that, it could be for you.

Cons

The company is top-heavy with senior management who seem more focused on controlling their area of expertise than on making the company succesful. The company has some systemic dysfunctions reminiscent of the saying about someone who can't get out of their own way. There is a lot of politics for such as small company. People will say one thing in a public meeting, then go behind the scenes and lobby something else. It is not a very open working environment. Some of the best and brightest "doers" have been leaving the company. The best ones who stay appear to be holding onto the hope that the company will eventually be bought and their stock options will be worth something. But having burned through over $300M in investor dollars since 2003, the stock is highly diluted. Salaries undercompetitive. Lack of growth opportunity. No 401k.

Perhaps the biggest problem is that the company no longer has a "visionary" with the passion and genius to inspire people. The company is stale at the executive level, and it needs shaking up. Look at every senior executive and ask the following questions: What is this person doing to help us win business or keep current customers happy? Is this person personally driven to make the company a success? Is this person actually dependent on their salary , or is GridPoint just a pastime for them? I was surprised by the lack of urgency at the senior level regarding the need for revenue and profitability. Mr. Raba might want to network with some other CEO's to gain insight...starting with Dan Yates or Alex Laskey down the street at Opower.

Little Structure or Support

I have been working at GridPoint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ambitions to develop the business

Cons

Failure to do so with guidance, clear communication or realism

Your approach has been extremely erratic for a while and continues to be so. Creating an environment of stability would help your employees greatly and by removing the people at the very top who continue to be obstacles to the positive growth of the business you would enable them to do their jobs and gain satisfaction from achieving their objectives.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Oodles of data, oodles of fun!

Current Employee - Analytics  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Analytics in Arlington, VA

I have been working at GridPoint full-time for less than a year

Pros

Billions of rows of energy usage data going back 10 years and millions being added every day. This is a great role for anyone serious about data analytics.

Cons

Just wish there was more time in the day to build all the models and data visualizations I want!

painful

I worked at GridPoint

Pros

pay, remote work, innovative products

Cons

incompetent upper management - horrible work life balance

they got rid off the right people - hopefully this will stop the flow of talent departures and firings

GridPoint Response

Jun 6, 2014Communications Specialist

I have worked at GridPoint for more than a year as Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing and would like to address some of the comments we’ve received on GlassDoor to provide some context and ... More

New CEO has made GridPoint a great place to work again

I have been working at GridPoint full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a current employee who experienced both the past and present CEO, I can say that GridPoint has gained a new bounce in its step since the transition. Everyone is very excited about the future of the company and looking forward to more success. Some other benefits:

-CEO has great past experience and plans to scale the company
    -Very interesting and challenging industry that is only going to continue to become more important as time goes on
    -Extremely knowledgeable and helpful coworkers
    -Unique product offerings and the sense that you're contributing to a greener society
    -Great location near the Clarendon metro stop (Arlington headquarters location)

Cons

Things are gradually improving since the CEO transition but there are still some gaps and growing pains so everyone is very busy. I think the employee morale and company culture will continue to get better as time goes on.

Former employee who had the means and the ability to move on..........

I worked at GridPoint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There used to (2010-2013) be a great deal of flexibility for individuals in the field, even though your work life balance was a wreck. The best pro Gridpoint has going for itself right is its NEW CEO. It is my understanding the new CEO has a great deal of decisiveness or has been forced to be in order to keep Gridpoint alive. This can only be beneficial for new and existing employees because frankly it can only UPWARD or at the very least LATERALLY. There will be no other reduction in force because frankly they are as lean as an organization could be and still function.

Cons

This review is for the V-CAP Group. "If you think paying for talent is expensive, wait till you pay for the lack thereof", but then again you have five times over and only had two semi descent years for ROI. Do a simple search and you can read about all the money poured into this “Biggest Little” startup. GridPoint is/was and may forever be pennywise and pound foolish. The culture of the organization is obtuse and frankly outmoded for a tech company. Executive leadership has yet to tackle process and workflow, procedures are vague and oversight of policy and systems lack follow through. This day to day hyper management of the small inevitably resulted in the scotoma of the big. Contracts languished in legal pending review or executive decision. Millions of dollars have sat for greater than 90days to be resolved, and some dating from 2012 are still pending action (as of NOV13). The horizon was forever too far for Executive Leadership to manage towards. As a concept of providing enterprise energy solutions GridPoint has (had?) a beautiful package deal to offer: EMS and Support, SOLAR, EV Fleet Management. Yet for all of its shine and gadgetry, sales continued to fall away because of the systematic inability to deliver “from soup to nuts”. I wish them all the best of luck but the competition grows by the quarter in their market, and proprietary systems and products only mean one thing when you’re a large organization looking to source from a startup company: SINGLE POINT OF FAILURE.

Stop the "Just in time" expenditure of resources/money. This is not a theoretical exercise on paper where timing of execution has no reproductions. When you leave a workforce without the ability to execute because of circumstance beyond their control you cultivate an apathetic approach to any problem solving and in turn create automatons who will only execute when permitted or spurred to do so. You are defeating yourself, managing to a problem you have created yourself. I would continue to chaptalize on the new CEO and systematically replace and reinforce a new culture of centralized guidance and decentralized execution. This will need to be underpinned by an huge effort to communicate intent, vision, focus and tasks to be accomplished at the lowest level. These cannot be pretty posters on the wall they need to be driven every day in every meeting. Take them 20,000ft to ground level and show them where they fit in and where they’re execution turns a profit. Then give them some! Gridpoint hasn’t adjusted employees income for cost of living since inception in 2008. I guarantee you have employees who are simply stuck because they can’t afford to relocate to other employment, and they just hang around as the aforementioned automaton. Others are too scared have developed the “devil I know” syndrome thinking if it is this bad here just think what else I could be stuck with, not knowing they are in the 1 in 100 scenario where this is applicable. Summary: Violence of action at the executive level moving mountains, find and pay the right people to focus on moving and organizing the boulders, and everyone needs to understand it is not the mountain or molehill they have in front of them, it is the horizon that is the destination.

Destroying what was once a great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I worked at GridPoint full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing employees willing to do whatever it takes to keep their jobs- e.g. willing to forego work/life balance and raises

Cons

ADMMicro Management (integrity, employee satisfaction, company reputation, culture, etc...) prior to GridPoint buyout was top notch. GridPoint management/culture ruined this.

Learn the jobs e.g. commissioning to be able to manage it. Don't reward employees willing to manipulate data. Don't allow for manipulation of data.

Leadership of Operations; former employee; left on good terms.

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at GridPoint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salaries are good
    Potential to be a leader in a growth industry
    Largely a virtual company with the flexibility to work from home

Cons

Weak, unfocused leadership, CEO has chased off many qualified, dedicated former employees and replaced them with his former co-workers.
    Product development is very weak area, and the company continually trails the competition by 2 years or more in getting new product to market.
    Long work weeks, most VPs are working 80 hour weeks, Directors working 70+ hour weeks and most staff working 60+ hour weeks.
    Benefits are pathetic, no bonus, very little appreciation shown for hard work.
    Negative to caustic work environment, at this company blame shifting and throwing your co-workers under the bus have risen to an art form; if someone is incompetent in their work but are good back stabbers will rise to the ranks of VP here.

Clean house in your product development teams and the current operations and delivery and support teams.

Not a great place to work

I worked at GridPoint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is decent, above average industry pay rates. You can wear jeans everyday

Cons

Everything other than pay. Terrible benefits, no raises or bonuses. No telecommuting and upper management needs a serious overhaul. Horrific turnover. Look elsewhere if you are serious about your career. It's so bad thar every recruiter I spoke to won't even place people at this company due to the turnover. It has a bad reputation for not retaining employees.

Invest in your people more and be mentors. Take care of your people and be champions for them and their success.

GridPoint Photos

GridPoint Corporate Headquarters
Great location in the middle of Clarendon

+ Add Photo

Worked for GridPoint? Contribute to the Community!