Grifols

Updated December 6, 2014
2.4

Grifols Chairman and CEO Victor Grifols Roura
Victor Grifols Roura

Pros
  • benefits are good and it is considered a health care facility (in 5 reviews)

• Although the focus on work/ life balance is great (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • your working 7 days a week and your days off are ones a week and there is no work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Absolutely no work life balance here (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales representative

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Grifols full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy, always knowing exactly where you stand with your commission.

Cons

it truly is a great place to work

Number oriented

Current Employee - Area Lead Phlebotomist in Rexburg, ID
    Current Employee - Area Lead Phlebotomist in Rexburg, ID

I have been working at Grifols full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

patient hours to improve experience in health field

Cons

lack of concern for improving the atmosphere and moral of employees and patients.

as management pushes for self protection rather than working toward employees the moral becomes negative and self inflicting for training and progressing.

Work load and responsibility is very heavy.

Current Employee - Center Medical Specialist in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Center Medical Specialist in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Grifols full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Talecris, a company of Grifols, for over 3 years. I have worked with many pleasant coworkers and donors and have come to love my job and the goals for the company. Grifols is aiming to be the leading company in plasma and biomedicine and collect for medicinal and research purposes.

Cons

Work days are long, my shift never has an end time. We work holidays, PTO is limited and management only cares about numbers. Your job is rushed and you are under appreciated. There are too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Promotions from within are hard to get, you either have to brown nose or know someone, hard workers are over looked. I have worked with people who have been in this industry for over 30 years and are still in the same positions. Managers are only here to line their own pockets instead of for the good of the company since they receive bonuses.

Promote from within and learn about each area in the center and help out as much as possible. Grow for the good of the company, not just for yourself.

Administration Services

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Clayton, NC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Clayton, NC

I worked at Grifols full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work environment with co-workers was almost always pleasant. They generally have an overall pleasant and professional staff.

Cons

Difficult to move within the company. Seems most positions you have to know someone in order to advance or have lateral movement.

The benefits began to lessen over the years of my employment as well as the employee motivation due to this decrease. It began to feel as though the culture was centered around the management/Grifols ownership and did nothing to create pride in employees on an individual basis.

Its an ok job, just very unprofessional

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Grifols full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meet and Network with alot of different people

Cons

pay is not enough, rude attitudes from employees, stressful mentally

Great Place to Begin!

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Grifols full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They will allow you to grow from the bottom all the way to the top. They love to promote from within.

Cons

Hours can be difficult as well as lack of resources. Compared to competing centers, Grifols lags behind.

Hire more people and have more people working on any given day.

Good experience, a lot of changes in procedures

Former Employee - Quality Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Quality Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Grifols full-time (more than an year)

Pros

benefits are good and it is considered a health care facility

Cons

frequent changes in work procedures

work hard and follow rules and procedures

Started with Talecris and it was decent, but when Grifols took over things went downhill.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Tech III in Clayton, NC
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Tech III in Clayton, NC

I worked at Grifols full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with some really great people. Steady paycheck. Typical insurance.

Cons

Requirement to use half of your vacation time for shutdown operations (80 hours). No sick time, it is rolled into your PTO which means you're forced to use most of it when they want you to. If you take a PTO day off on your "long" week, (48 hour week) the company forces you to give up 8 hours of overtime and your shift premium of 10%. The result of this for me was at least $120 out of my paycheck. At first I thought this was something that was done across the board, but the company I work for now does not do this. It should NOT cost you money to use your own PTO time. This creates an environment of people coming into work sick because they are forced by management to save their time for shutdown or can't afford to take a day off due to the loss in pay for using their PTO. I have seen it happen as well as done it myself.

Management is completely out of touch with employees. There is no communication between the two. No one is asked what they think about a decision before it is rolled out.

No real opportunity for advancement unless you are on the "buddy system".

Rotating 12 hour shifts that switch between nights and days every two weeks. This schedule is so bad for your health. In an industry where the product you are producing is used in patients bodies. you are expected to be on the top of your game. This schedule assures that you are not. There is no necessity to work this schedule.

If you do not realize that you have completely killed morale, then there may be no hope for turning it around at this point. Ask for employee opinions on changes that involve them. COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE. You are losing some of your best employees to other companies that realize that happy employees do a better job. Planting shrubs and erecting fountains does not boost employee morale. WAKE UP GRIFOLS!!!

Meh

I have been working at Grifols

Pros

Most of the staff are pleasant to work with and benefits are ok

Cons

Management incompetent and upper management doesn't seem to care.
    Morale is as low as it gets and the most common motivational line is..."you're lucky to have a job at all in this economy"

Actually need to address the problems brought to you not just directing management to make the problems go away by whatever means necessary. Usually by employees being "encouraged" not to complain to upper management especially anonymously

Novartis Diagnostics - Top management unable to develop the business

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Grifols full-time

Pros

Good compensation and benefits thanks to stock-options, good working life/balance, not much pressure, good balance men/women up to director level

Cons

Strategy is cash cow. No innovation anymore, no products in the pipeline except fake projects aimed at making associates feel they can stay. No way to evolve in the organization without growth or new projects. All people questioning the lack of future or asking for strategy are quietly pushed out. President perceived by most as not very smart; chosen for the role as Novartis management in Basel wanted a quiet "leader". Sheep behavior is rewarded, including at VP level.

Advice to Griffols management: keep current President if you want nothing to happen. If you want to develop the business: change the President, hire a VP of Marketing, put in place a solid strategy, including budget and roadmap to R&D.