Grimco Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
Bob Hummert

Pros
  • Grimco promotes from within, so there is plenty of opportunity for hard working employees to move up the ranks (in 6 reviews)

• It is a fast paced sales environment with great pay, incentives, and great people around you and across the entire company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I believe in hard work but I'm not going to make this job my whole life (in 5 reviews)

• When you are "Let go" it is done over the phone, with zero notice (in 3 reviews)

1. Account Executive

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Grimco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hands on management, flexible with furthering education

Cons

Schedule, PTO, no clear career advancement paths

Advice to Management

Salaries should be examined by market not by position.

2. Hard but rewarding work environment

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Grimco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, competitive work environment, small teams, feels like you are running your own branch.

Cons

Customers can be picky and require a lot of attention.

Advice to Management

Have better communication between HQ and branches.

A decent first job

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

A great, close-knit company where you feel like you know everyone within the company because it is still relatively small and you talk to so many people on the phone. The hours are strictly 8-5, M-F with the typical paid holidays. Health benefits are EXCELLENT. The company culture is great.

Cons

The job itself is pretty monotonous. There is a lot of pressure to earn new business when quite simply, it isn't always there. You are often calling the same people over and over again.

Advice to Management

Recognize that profit isn't the ONLY measure of an employee's success.

Customer Development Representative

Former Employee - Customer Development Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Development Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Grimco full-time

Pros

Opportunity for growth Grimco will reward you- you get out what you put in Good work-life balance for being in sales Company cares about customers and being the best in the industry

Cons

Not a sales position were you sit back and relax-have to be high energy Be prepared to be busy and on the phones a big portion of your day-lots of incoming call and still make time to prospect

Advice to Management

Slow down-At times I felt like things were growing to quick and the company and management could not keep up.

Sales Representative

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Grimco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Grimco for over 4 years. They are committed to being the best in the industry. There is plenty of growth happening and opportunities to show what you can do. My manager is very approachable, open to new ideas, and committed to the branches employee's success.

Cons

I've worked for Grimco for over 4 years, and there have been some times of change that were uncomfortable, I honestly can't think of anything negative that is worth warning about.

7. Warehouse Associate

I worked at Grimco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Warehouse position with Grimco. I worked in the warehouse for 3 years. A typical day at the warehouse was hot and hard working. Didn't really learn anything everything was common sense. The management was good the co-workers were good to. Because its constant work non-stop you have to be ready to go and work fast.

Cons

Some days things would get hectic and become to much. I would say bring in more temp workers when the busy season starts.

Sales Representative

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Grimco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance. Good culture and work environment nice people and good salary. Any inside/outside sales position is going to be difficult and require a lot to be put into the job for someone to be successful. Grimco is a company that has given me the opportunity to prove myself coming right out of college. I have been given a lot of responsibility and even overwhelmed at times but overall my experience has been good.

Cons

Always responsible for customer experience even on things you can't control.

Huge company growth, big potential/opportunity for self motivated individuals

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Grimco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) Growth-company is extremely aggressive in opening new business centers, buying competitors, expanding internationally. The work environments are fun if you share the passion to be a part of that. 2) Opportunity-with success comes as much responsibility as you are willing to take on. The company is begging for people who want to drive their own success. Some take it upon themselves to surpass goals and end up with the biggest opportunities. The most aggressive salespeople can climb ranks quickly into management positions. 3) Flexibility-the company gives newer staff decision making capabilities very quickly. This allows new hires to get great experience early on that most companies would protect with red tape or a title. 4) Benefits/Compensation-long term, successful, loyal employees are rewarded through compensation but just as important, a great 401k with company paid contribution annually. 5) Work-life balance-this is a great part of Grimco. You are expected to work harder than everybody else Monday-Friday, but working 12-14 hour days and weekends is not necessary or effective at Grimco. 6) Upper management will take any call from anybody in the company when available(and they almost always are when you call), including the owner.

Cons

No company is perfect, especially one that is expanding as rapidly. But here are some thoughts: 1) Flat structure-because the company is lean at the middle and top and doesn't create a lot of unnecessary positions in upper management, it creates less opportunity for younger employees to visualize their succession into upper management. 2) Organization-growing exponentially year over year makes almost every decision short term. There is little long term planning and for some people, they don't like the ever-constant change and prefer stability. 3) Some branches end up "sink or swim" with new employees due to unexpected turnover(which all companies face), and although it is great experience for a new employee to have to run a branch and drive sales, it can be overwhelming for some and lack direction and positive reinforcement. Some new employees want somebody holding their hand the whole time, Grimco isn't like that. 4) Review process is formal but typically isn't thorough enough. Employees need to keep in contact with their manager to ensure they are fulfilling expectations to really know their status. Some employees feel they are exceling and are shocked to hear they are not.

Advice to Management

Keep the family feel as the company continues to grow, but become more formal throughout the company. The small feel of the company will create loyal employees but there needs to be less "drama" surrounding personnel and operations. The aggressive mind state to take market share everyday is exciting to work for. I hope the company continues to bring this thought process throughout my tenure and can motivate new employees to buy into it long term. Overall this company genuinely cares about its employees, the customers, and is on an exciting path towards owning the industry they play in. New hires couldn't have more long term opportunities if they bring the right personality and drive. Add as much talent as possible, and quickly! Being aggressive can limit us long term without more great employees.

A growing company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Grimco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Grimco is a great company to be a part of if you want to learn a lot and grow. Responsibility is given out very early and they give you a chance to stand out. What I love is the opportunity to make a difference and contribute in a real way. I know that my suggestions are taken seriously and my ideas are being put to action. The hours are good and managers are very flexible with schedule. Executive management is very friendly and the doors are always open.

Cons

The PTO policy could be better. The amount of PTO given should be more competitive with the market. Because Grimco is growing so rapidly, their policies/procedures/programs could use an update to keep up with the amount of employees. Some processes are too time-consuming and don't make sense for a larger volume.

Advice to Management

Keep yourself involved on the employee level. It will be easy to lose that as Grimco grows and its important that employees know you care about their success.

Great values and goals, but lack of direction.

I worked at Grimco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great executive accessibility. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Taking on additional tasks is not rewarded. No directly laid out path opportunities.

Advice to Management

Spread senior management throughout the company physically, not remotely.

RSS Feed </> Embed