Grocery Manufacturers Association Reviews

Updated February 25, 2015
6 reviews filtered by
3.7
CEO

1. Came for a job...stayed for a CAREER!

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Grocery Manufacturers Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nonprofit trade association that serves a "white hat" industry...nice members, great mission and strong values...committed to providing our members with top-notch, solutions-focused leadership. Diverse, smart and passionate coworkers. Leadership that has vision. Provides employees with countless opportunities for personal and professional growth.

Cons

Working in nonprofit is not for everyone...but if you enjoy helping your members succeed and you are okay with your members getting the credit for much of your hard work, then this is a wonderful place to work. As a relatively small employer it's hard to get promoted...but you sure can get tons of experience to build a super strong resume!

Every employee at GMA has the potential to be the next leader...help us understand what you need from us and we will step up to the challenge.

2. Excellent springboard for the Consumer Packaged Goods Industry

I have been working at Grocery Manufacturers Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedules and managers, competitive pay and benefits, opportunity for career growth and training, a hub of CPG industry knowledge and affairs. I have a great, trusting relationship with my supervisor and I work with a wonderful team of people whom I would call friends as well as colleagues. Open to innovative thoughts and ideas

Cons

Hierarchical structure which makes it very difficult to be visible as well as understand one's role in the organization. Laborious work-development process. Merit recognition and rewards program needs work and manager coaching. "Top heavy" organization - not enough resources to support projects championed at the senior leadership level

3. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Grocery Manufacturers Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team environment. Ability to grow and evolve professionally. Promotes from within when possible. Great benefits program. Great experience and family like environment. Great location.

Cons

Depending on the department staff can run out of room to grow and end up leaving for additional opportunities.

Continue to promote from within and grow talent internally.

5. Growing Company

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Grocery Manufacturers Association as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance
    Summer hours
    Close knit employees and company

Cons

News spreads a little quickly (gossip)
    Still adjusting from merge

On the downhill slide

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Grocery Manufacturers Association

Pros

Members of the association are great! They are committed to their business and, currently, to the association.

Cons

Almost no one at the association has any experience working in member companies. They are "association wonks" these days and have no appreciation of the work being done by the members.

Listen more closely to the members. In the past, everyone was more customer focused. Today, employees are focused on satifying senior management rather than members, and the two are not the same.

Don't do this job if you have children, you will be working late, weekends, holidays

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Grocery Manufacturers Association

Pros

Medical Benefits are great but change after retirement

Cons

Never know what your schedule will be week to week

Give a 2 week schedule fools!