Groendyke Transport

Groendyke Transport Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Groendyke Transport Chairman and CEO John D. Groendyke

John D. Groendyke

Very Stable and Sturdy company with Deep Core Values.

Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker (Current Employee) Little Rock, AR

ProsYour not treated as a number!! Friendly Family Atmosphere. They work around my family Responsibilities. and since I have been here they have became a part of my family also. They know my wife and children and actually ask and care about whats going on in my personal life. And that means alot to me! I was really impressed that John Groendyke the Owner of the company made sure he came thru our class at orientation and introduced his self and talked with us one on one while we were on our break. I have never had that happen at any other company i worked for. he was very nice and down to earth and acted just like he was one of us.

ConsNewer trucks would be nice. But they keep their trucks in good shape working and cosmetic condition. Better pay! but that is always the case no matter who you work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! i really can't say anything bad about my dispatcher or terminal manager. they have to do their job to keep customers covered. But they also work around the drivers life also.

If your a good driver,knowledgeable about the trucking industry steer clear.

Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker (Current Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsThey got me home when I needed. That was about it sad to say.

ConsIt's all good until you try to nail down what a load pays before hand and if they tell you get it in writing cause it won't be right either along with your check. They keep hiring steering wheel jockeys not drivers. That's why they keep coming out with 500 new rules every other day because they refuse to acknowledge it was their fault in hiring these people. I did a few runs that were 547 miles that paid the truck 2123 at 50% deadhead miles that's 3.88 per loaded mile who bids stuff like that. That kind of stuffs only makes money at 80% loaded miles. So I guess they make it up by volume at my expense.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour becoming the swift of the tanker industry. Keep it an I'm sure you'll make money but at the cost of any respect you have. I really thought I was joining a family and becoming part of a team you had me fooled but not for much longer. It's sad I'm a good driver I care very much about what I'm doing and the manner in which I do it. It's your loss. You can say he wasn't cut out for it all you want at the end of the day I know the truth.

Great Place for Hard Workers!!!!

Fuel Delivery Driver (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsYou can make a ton here if you are willing to work hard.. $300 a day...more on weekends. But you can't be afraid to work 12-14 hour days and nights.. $5000-$6000 a month in summer

ConsEvery trucking company has its issues....shop, HR blah blah u get over it

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you want to drive a nice truck go elsewhere.

Tanker Driver (Current Employee)

ProsThe people are nice and they will tell you things will get better down the road.
    But its a long road...

ConsFrom the moment i started it seemed like i had to fight for every penny i made.
    Once i got my own truck it was worse.
    All The equipment has 600,000 miles or more and it will rattle you and beat you to death.
    You are told you will be receiving a certain pay per mile and driver after driver has told me they were paid less than promised as was i.Now i am trying to fix it as i drive and make less than promised.
    This seem a common theme for this company.
    maybe a way to make a few extra hundred thousand a week off drivers ?Maybe.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new trucks.
    Get a better training program for new hires.
    I have worked for other companies and if you are going to take a driver out on the road to train him don't do it in truck that are almost worn out.

Safety

Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tankerdriver (Current Employee) Borger, TX

ProsGood directions to shippers and receiving destinations, great support from dispatch, terminal manager, safety, and HR dept. Tractors and trailers are well maintained.

ConsWould like better pay during training stage. The trainer was a real grouch, rude, and Impatient.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any advice, it's apparent that management is good considering the longevity and success of the Compan.y

Safety when it is convenient

Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker (Current Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsGood money,by it you earn every penny of it.

ConsDispatchers ok with drivers getting out on the road before starting People Net logs(yes,there are ways to move the trucks before logging on). Company forces sulfur drivers to load and unload product exposing them to H2S gasses everyday because masks too expensive. It is rare if your paycheck is correct.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if if somebody in management had any driving experience,They think looking at a remote camera on the internet is the best to determine if the roads are safe. Have dispatchers there longer hours during the day. They expect you to start at 5, but they do not show up until 8.

Executive Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Enid, OK

ProsThere is plenty of opportunity for promotion within the company. Management is very supportive and encouraging in bringing out the best in their employees. Great place to work!!!

ConsCommunication continues to be a challenge in making certain that all parties involved know what is going on with an issue or situation.

Mediocre to poor

Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker (Former Employee) Henderson, CO

ProsFinancially stable, decent equipment and shop.

ConsThey seem to have reverted to the classic 1950 management style of "drivers are a dime a dozen". No pay raise in eight years and then just a token attempt where they raise some rates minimally and lower other rates that they say were being overpaid. Just an example of their audacity to think drivers their B.S.
    No one in management advocates for the drivers, dictates come down from management, you either like it or get fired.
    The morale was so poor, there was no camaraderie among the drivers, everyone was for himself.
    Customers were aware of the situation in Henderson and began to take dedicated loads away and give to other carriers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWelcome your thinking to the 21st century and realize, that drivers today are not like they were 40 years ago.
    This type of management style is ripe for a union organizer.

New Hire OTR Driver

OTR Systems Driver (Current Employee) Lake Charles, LA

ProsI ran across Groendyke about 5 months ago when I first started looking for work. I recently retired from the US Army and had driven years ago prior to rejoining the Army.
       Having previous OTR experience, I knew all too well how many vulture companies there are in the trucking industry. After a little research I decided that GTI would be my first choice in companies and applied. I was contacted by the local terminal manager and talked to him for a few minutes. Unfortunately he felt that because I had not driven in so many years that he would not be able to hire me.
       After looking for a week or so I decided to take a CDL refresher course to make myself more employable. Of course the school works closely with all of the vulture companies that love to get their hands on green drivers so they can abuse and rob them blind. The last day of my refresher I emailed the terminal manager and asked him to please reconsider my application. I was very honest and humble. I explained that I wanted to work for a reliable company that placed safety at the top of their priorities. He then asked me to fax him a copy of my DD214 and CDL info. I interviewed with him the following week and took my physical the same day.
       My first day of work was Oct 21 I have spent about 9 days in the truck and have just returned from the company orientation in OK. Back in the 90's I drove for 3 companies in 5 years. I have never worked for a trucking company that puts so much emphasis on safety.
      Above all else this company truly operates based on very traditional values and to them safety is one of those values.
        Orientation was 3 days and was pretty typical. HUGE emphasis on safety. While everyone there was very friendly the trainers make it very clear that if you are not willing to use the Smith System that you do not belong at Groendyke.
       I have met and talked with most of the drivers from the terminal I hired on with and am yet to find a driver that feels the company does not care about their well being. Dispatchers will not ask a driver to do anything unsafe or illegal. Not even an insinuation that something needs to be done.

ConsStill waiting to find a real one. The only thing that I can think of is that drivers tend to stay here for a long time so seniority is going to take a long time. There are more than 150 million mile drivers in a company of 900 or so. The terminal I work for is one of 4 that is privately own. The rest of the terminals are owned by the company. Because of that our trucks seem to be a little older than the rest of the fleet. But I really do not see this as a negative. The drivers I have asked say that if your truck needs something fixed it gets fixed. I would recommend this company to a friend without question.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not lower your standards.

Micromanage extreme

Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker (Current Employee) Enid, OK

ProsGTI is a good company if you work in any division except for crude oil
    They take great care of there equipment and put saftey above common sence and push it to the point of stupidity.

ConsTerminal managers treat there drivers like little children that havent the sence to come in out of the rain. Its nothing to be trucking on dry roads and get a call to find a safe place to park. And be told by a guy whos only trucking experience was a tonka toy growing up.
     If you haul crude oil be prepared to work for half price the going industry rate...its pretty sad when a company this big and hasnt but one old dinosaur that drums up business.. the dispatchers here play more games than fisher price if your not kissing were they sit you will sit all week in elk city they love the favorite game nothing at all fair about dispatch. Advancement in this company is not happening.. I feel sorry for guys who put in 20 years here I know I hope I'm not doing this in 20 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeparate crude from rest of the company and pay like oilfied is supose to pay we got twice the risk of accidents twice the responsibility for same money as flower truck.. hire sum young salesmen get some good loads and quit cutting the rate we all lose

Worked for Groendyke Transport? Contribute to the Community!