Groendyke Transport

Updated February 13, 2015
3.9

Groendyke Transport Chairman and CEO John D. Groendyke
John D. Groendyke

Pros
  • I am home every night and off two days a week (in 3 reviews)

• Tractors and trailers are well maintained (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • maybe a way to make a few extra hundred thousand a week off drivers (in 16 reviews)

• Better communication between management to dispatchers/shop to drivers (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

A great company that is focused on what matters; their employees and their customers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enid, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enid, OK

I worked at Groendyke Transport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offers the best service in the industry while creating a friendly and productive atmosphere.

Cons

Like any other company, you are stuck at a 1 - 3% raise each year so make sure you negotiate your salary accordingly.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Should of come here first!

Current Employee - Fuel Hauler in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO
    Current Employee - Fuel Hauler in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hauling fuel out of the Grand Junction, CO terminal for 3 months. Background: I came from the Gas Patch hauling crude oil (condensate) in the Colorado Rockies since 2011 and have driven OTR since 1996. I have worked for 8 different companies from large to small. So I know what it's like to feel as if you are "just another replaceable PART of a power unit" and all the games that are played by dispatchers, management and other drivers. So, when I came to Groendyke Transport, it wouldn't take much to make me happy. Boy, was I surprised!

I'm home every night! Long days have been 12 to 14 hrs and short ones have been 10 to 12 hrs. I'm home for dinner most nights. I asked for a day off 2 months in for some personal business and was immediately told yes. No complaining, no guilt trips, no making me regretting it latter. The pay is fare. I have earned more but was never home. I have earned less but was never home. You get the idea.

The Office here in GJ is the best. For the first time with an employer, I feel we ALL work together as a team. I feel respected for my skills and I'm valued as a employee. My terminal manager is very approachable and speaks the truth. He does not regurgitate corp BS when you ask questions. They have managed to balance the needs of the job with the needs of the driver.

I am very confident that this is the company I will retire from.

Cons

Out here on the Western Slope we are a small (comparatively) outfit. So we don't have all the new stuff. My rig has 650K plus (others have 750K plus) on it and my trailer looks like something out of a Mad Max movie. It's embarrassing sometimes when your loading next to a Maverick truck that looks like it's been detailed every weekend. Even during the winter. I wash mine every week and I can not even come close to the shiny rigs you see in the Groendyke videos. FYI: You get paid to wash your rig. I don't think Groendyke can fix this short of sending all new equipment out here because there is no pro wash here. Just our wash rack and it's a small market. However, My rig is serviced well and the shop is very responsive to fixing things.

Demand and fund CLEAN rigs/trailers. I didn't say "new" rigs/trailers just demand that what we have will be clean. There are many contractors that can spit shine a rig right in the yard for the same price as a pro wash drive through. In areas where inclement weather is the norm, send painted trailers. Polished aluminum is just to time consuming to keep clean and looking good. Remember, every truck on the road is a business card and you never know who is reading it.

Dispatch

I worked at Groendyke Transport

Pros

Good company to work for. Good pay for this area.

Cons

Company should consider hiring more help for management staff.

Great company to work with.

Current Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker in Denver, CO

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have a great training program. Every new employee has the opportunity to get the latest, safest, and thorough training. Upper management is very approachable. Opportunities to move up in the company. The have a outstanding tuition reimbursement program.

Cons

The hourly pay could be better. My local Terminal Manager is not very approachable. Lines at the refinery can kill a good pay check.

Happy drivers make great employees.

Good People, decent pay.

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly Co-workers, steady hours, decent wages. Upper management actually seems to care about employees.

Cons

There seems to be a bit of information hoarding. Like mushrooms...
    Slow to update to new procedures and "get with the times" to current practices.

Very Stable and Sturdy company with Deep Core Values.

Current Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Your not treated as a number!! Friendly Family Atmosphere. They work around my family Responsibilities. and since I have been here they have became a part of my family also. They know my wife and children and actually ask and care about whats going on in my personal life. And that means alot to me! I was really impressed that John Groendyke the Owner of the company made sure he came thru our class at orientation and introduced his self and talked with us one on one while we were on our break. I have never had that happen at any other company i worked for. he was very nice and down to earth and acted just like he was one of us.

Cons

Newer trucks would be nice. But they keep their trucks in good shape working and cosmetic condition. Better pay! but that is always the case no matter who you work for.

Keep up the good work! i really can't say anything bad about my dispatcher or terminal manager. they have to do their job to keep customers covered. But they also work around the drivers life also.

Class A CDL driver

I worked at Groendyke Transport

Pros

Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing................nothing..........nothing......nothing....nothing......nothing. they have no pros except nice office people.

Cons

They play favorites. I came from Colorado and the female dispatch didn't like me from the start. Office people owners, office manager, etc. Very nice and helpful but the dispatch had favorites. I was great driver at my old company but here they treated me like crap.

Respect all your drivers. Listen to them. Don't play favorites. Help all.

If your a good driver,knowledgeable about the trucking industry steer clear.

Current Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They got me home when I needed. That was about it sad to say.

Cons

It's all good until you try to nail down what a load pays before hand and if they tell you get it in writing cause it won't be right either along with your check. They keep hiring steering wheel jockeys not drivers. That's why they keep coming out with 500 new rules every other day because they refuse to acknowledge it was their fault in hiring these people. I did a few runs that were 547 miles that paid the truck 2123 at 50% deadhead miles that's 3.88 per loaded mile who bids stuff like that. That kind of stuffs only makes money at 80% loaded miles. So I guess they make it up by volume at my expense.

Your becoming the swift of the tanker industry. Keep it an I'm sure you'll make money but at the cost of any respect you have. I really thought I was joining a family and becoming part of a team you had me fooled but not for much longer. It's sad I'm a good driver I care very much about what I'm doing and the manner in which I do it. It's your loss. You can say he wasn't cut out for it all you want at the end of the day I know the truth.

Great Place for Hard Workers!!!!

Current Employee - Fuel Delivery Driver in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Fuel Delivery Driver in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can make a ton here if you are willing to work hard.. $300 a day...more on weekends. But you can't be afraid to work 12-14 hour days and nights.. $5000-$6000 a month in summer

Cons

Every trucking company has its issues....shop, HR blah blah u get over it

If you want to drive a nice truck go elsewhere.

Current Employee - Tanker Driver
    Current Employee - Tanker Driver

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are nice and they will tell you things will get better down the road.
    But its a long road...

Cons

From the moment i started it seemed like i had to fight for every penny i made.
    Once i got my own truck it was worse.
    All The equipment has 600,000 miles or more and it will rattle you and beat you to death.
    You are told you will be receiving a certain pay per mile and driver after driver has told me they were paid less than promised as was i.Now i am trying to fix it as i drive and make less than promised.
    This seem a common theme for this company.
    maybe a way to make a few extra hundred thousand a week off drivers ?Maybe.

Get new trucks.
    Get a better training program for new hires.
    I have worked for other companies and if you are going to take a driver out on the road to train him don't do it in truck that are almost worn out.

Groendyke Transport Photos