Groendyke Transport

Updated September 6, 2014
3.8

Groendyke Transport Chairman and CEO John D. Groendyke
John D. Groendyke

Great company to work with.

Current Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker in Denver, CO

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have a great training program. Every new employee has the opportunity to get the latest, safest, and thorough training. Upper management is very approachable. Opportunities to move up in the company. The have a outstanding tuition reimbursement program.

Cons

The hourly pay could be better. My local Terminal Manager is not very approachable. Lines at the refinery can kill a good pay check.

Happy drivers make great employees.

Good People, decent pay.

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly Co-workers, steady hours, decent wages. Upper management actually seems to care about employees.

Cons

There seems to be a bit of information hoarding. Like mushrooms...
    Slow to update to new procedures and "get with the times" to current practices.

Class A CDL driver

I worked at Groendyke Transport

Pros

Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing................nothing..........nothing......nothing....nothing......nothing. they have no pros except nice office people.

Cons

They play favorites. I came from Colorado and the female dispatch didn't like me from the start. Office people owners, office manager, etc. Very nice and helpful but the dispatch had favorites. I was great driver at my old company but here they treated me like crap.

Respect all your drivers. Listen to them. Don't play favorites. Help all.

Very Stable and Sturdy company with Deep Core Values.

Current Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Your not treated as a number!! Friendly Family Atmosphere. They work around my family Responsibilities. and since I have been here they have became a part of my family also. They know my wife and children and actually ask and care about whats going on in my personal life. And that means alot to me! I was really impressed that John Groendyke the Owner of the company made sure he came thru our class at orientation and introduced his self and talked with us one on one while we were on our break. I have never had that happen at any other company i worked for. he was very nice and down to earth and acted just like he was one of us.

Cons

Newer trucks would be nice. But they keep their trucks in good shape working and cosmetic condition. Better pay! but that is always the case no matter who you work for.

Keep up the good work! i really can't say anything bad about my dispatcher or terminal manager. they have to do their job to keep customers covered. But they also work around the drivers life also.

If your a good driver,knowledgeable about the trucking industry steer clear.

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They got me home when I needed. That was about it sad to say.

Cons

It's all good until you try to nail down what a load pays before hand and if they tell you get it in writing cause it won't be right either along with your check. They keep hiring steering wheel jockeys not drivers. That's why they keep coming out with 500 new rules every other day because they refuse to acknowledge it was their fault in hiring these people. I did a few runs that were 547 miles that paid the truck 2123 at 50% deadhead miles that's 3.88 per loaded mile who bids stuff like that. That kind of stuffs only makes money at 80% loaded miles. So I guess they make it up by volume at my expense.

Your becoming the swift of the tanker industry. Keep it an I'm sure you'll make money but at the cost of any respect you have. I really thought I was joining a family and becoming part of a team you had me fooled but not for much longer. It's sad I'm a good driver I care very much about what I'm doing and the manner in which I do it. It's your loss. You can say he wasn't cut out for it all you want at the end of the day I know the truth.

Great Place for Hard Workers!!!!

Current Employee - Fuel Delivery Driver in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Fuel Delivery Driver in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make a ton here if you are willing to work hard.. $300 a day...more on weekends. But you can't be afraid to work 12-14 hour days and nights.. $5000-$6000 a month in summer

Cons

Every trucking company has its issues....shop, HR blah blah u get over it

If you want to drive a nice truck go elsewhere.

Current Employee - Tanker Driver
    Current Employee - Tanker Driver

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are nice and they will tell you things will get better down the road.
    But its a long road...

Cons

From the moment i started it seemed like i had to fight for every penny i made.
    Once i got my own truck it was worse.
    All The equipment has 600,000 miles or more and it will rattle you and beat you to death.
    You are told you will be receiving a certain pay per mile and driver after driver has told me they were paid less than promised as was i.Now i am trying to fix it as i drive and make less than promised.
    This seem a common theme for this company.
    maybe a way to make a few extra hundred thousand a week off drivers ?Maybe.

Get new trucks.
    Get a better training program for new hires.
    I have worked for other companies and if you are going to take a driver out on the road to train him don't do it in truck that are almost worn out.

Safety

Current Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tankerdriver in Borger, TX
    Current Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tankerdriver in Borger, TX

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good directions to shippers and receiving destinations, great support from dispatch, terminal manager, safety, and HR dept. Tractors and trailers are well maintained.

Cons

Would like better pay during training stage. The trainer was a real grouch, rude, and Impatient.

I don't have any advice, it's apparent that management is good considering the longevity and success of the Compan.y

Safety when it is convenient

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good money,by it you earn every penny of it.

Cons

Dispatchers ok with drivers getting out on the road before starting People Net logs(yes,there are ways to move the trucks before logging on). Company forces sulfur drivers to load and unload product exposing them to H2S gasses everyday because masks too expensive. It is rare if your paycheck is correct.

It would be nice if if somebody in management had any driving experience,They think looking at a remote camera on the internet is the best to determine if the roads are safe. Have dispatchers there longer hours during the day. They expect you to start at 5, but they do not show up until 8.

Executive Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Enid, OK
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Enid, OK

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is plenty of opportunity for promotion within the company. Management is very supportive and encouraging in bringing out the best in their employees. Great place to work!!!

Cons

Communication continues to be a challenge in making certain that all parties involved know what is going on with an issue or situation.

Groendyke Transport Photos