Grooveshark

Updated October 5, 2014
4.0

Sam Tarantino

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic community, but not for everybody.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very open, flat culture. Everyone is accessible for pretty much everything, even when it has nothing to do with you.

Small, family-like environment. The culture is organically very nurturing and focused on community and employee happiness.

Food, laundry, massages, company events, perks around town. No joke, the cafe has without a doubt some of the best food in town.

Nice clean, usable office with solid workspaces and ample breakout rooms for privacy or meetings.

Independence and flexibility. Suggest projects you think would be valuable that you want Ru do, and chances are you can do them. Also, extremely flexible work hours, though some teams are more flexible than others.

"Unlimited vacation time" aka no one keeps track as long as you're being considerate and not abusive. And you perform well.

Lots of different kinds of people

Cons

Below average compensation. Gainesville is super cheap though.

Little upwards mobility

Sometimes a loud work environment

While friendly, the culture is definitely not for everybody

More performance based compensation.

Disorganized and Average Internship

Current Employee - Intern in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Intern in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Grooveshark as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the people there were awesome.
    Free food, and cool office environment.

Cons

Unpaid. Terribly disorganized internship. No management or direction. No chance of impressing management or displaying self worth for a future opportunity. Overheard conversation which made it clear that they cycled through unpaid interns.

Too late for advice I think. This internship was a while back, however, it seems clear the business has gone down hill since then. I wish them the best of luck, however, there seems to be no chance of more organization or more opportunity happening any time soon.

Web Developer

Former Employee - Web Developer in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Grooveshark full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great engineer team and awesome working enviroment, build cool music service for people

Cons

the pay is kind of low but you live in Gainesville so it won't matter that much

Best place to work in Gainesville!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I feel like I can make a difference. The culture is fun. People at the company have passion for the product and the company morale is high. The perks are awesome! Free food at the restaurant, flexible schedules and vacations, free massages, free hair cuts, free laundry and dry cleaning. It really is a great place to work.

Cons

It can get a little loud in the office at times, but it is a music company. The salary is a little low but it is made up for somewhat with the stock options and awesome perks. It also feels at times that some people take advantage of the flexible schedule.

Work on training new employees.

Great

Current Employee - Android Dev in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Android Dev in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Grooveshark as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You get to work on real stuff, everyone in office is really helpful and flexible hours and the best part is the Cafe which serves you breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Cons

Im not sure about the salaries offered, but since you live in gainesville it shouldn't matter much

School of Hard Knocks, for cutting-edge web technologies.

Current Employee - Front-End Developer in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Front-End Developer in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very challenging work, driven by the ideas of individuals
    A massive learning opportunity from a developer's POV
    Enthusiastic and motivated team members
    Company is an industry leader and trend-setter
    Extremely non-corporate environment
    Free meals, dry cleaning, massage services, haircuts, etc...

Cons

Extremely non-corporate environment (if you need that sort of thing)
    Requires some faith that record companies aren't going to put you out of a job

Mom always told me to do what I love...

Current Employee - Community Developer in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Community Developer in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*The people. The types of people you meet make you want to develop your skill set in a way you never imagined.

*The job. It's the only place I've worked where I look forward to Monday, or any work day. Who doesn't strive for such things in life? Sure glad I took Mom's advice.

*The food. Having access to Sound Bites Cafe makes life so much easier. I don't cook very well and enjoy saving cash on groceries.

*Time Off. Team leaders are super flexible with taking time off. Whether it's for some general down time (video game binge?), family events, or a vacation - they work with every employee to make sure the dates they need are given. This results in less stress and guilt about being away from work.

*The Schedule. We get to choose our schedule. Whether you're a morning person, mid-day person or a night owl - they've got you covered. As long as you're getting your work done and make yourself available during times other employees may need your help or input - everyone is happy! No clocking in or worries about being late.

*The Perks. We have an in-house masseuse available twice a week to help keep us relaxed. The company also helps with a local gym membership to help keep us healthy, haircuts through a super awesome local stylist and many more benefits. Personally, it really makes me feel appreciated that my employer wants to help towards my overall happiness and wellbeing.

Cons

*The Great Lighting Debate: There are those who like all the lights turned on and those who like to keep it to a minimum. We're coming close to perfection on the right amount of light to make each team happy with the installation of lighting filters. Until the perfect lighting situation is achieved in all areas of the office, you may occasionally need to say "Hey guys, can we turn off (or on) some of the lights?". Don't worry - your teammates will probably just say "Yeah, for sure" and continue with their work. Many teams have figured out the perfect lighting situation and are living in harmony with one another.

But seriously, I don't have any legit complaints. I've seen nothing but progress from my employer and look forward to sticking with them for years to come.

Great culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Grooveshark as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great work/life balance. You make your own hours and the office is buzzing with energy. Everybody at Grooveshark loves working at Grooveshark.

Cons

No sense of strong management. Very personal workspace which may not be a cup of tea to everybody.

Incredible culture, huge opportunity to make a difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enormous amount of autonomy in your work. You have decision making power from day one and can really make a difference within the company. Incredible place to learn and get your hands dirty while working (and befriending) extremely smart and fun people.

Cons

Might not be a great environment for the individual who needs structure. Must have an entrepreneurial knack to take advantage of the opportunity.

Grooveshark was simply beyond expectations

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Grooveshark as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company atmosphere is amazing. Everyone loves what they do and are willing to help. Not to mention the game room, jam room and awesome food. Also, it's in the heart of downtown Gainesville where there is always something fun to do

Cons

There really aren't any negative things to say about Grooveshark. I guess if I had to choose one thing it would be that I had to go back to school and couldnt intern longer!