Grooveshark

Grooveshark Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Sam Tarantino

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time

ProsGreat work environment. Positive attitudes that make coming to work everyday fun. Creativity is highly encouraged. Lots of room for advancement.

ConsA lot of organization to be done but that is being worked on. I believe a lot of people get paid highly to do nothing.

Great

Android Dev (Current Employee)

I have been working at Grooveshark as an intern for less than a year

ProsYou get to work on real stuff, everyone in office is really helpful and flexible hours and the best part is the Cafe which serves you breakfast, lunch and dinner.

ConsIm not sure about the salaries offered, but since you live in gainesville it shouldn't matter much

School of Hard Knocks, for cutting-edge web technologies.

Front-End Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time for less than a year

ProsVery challenging work, driven by the ideas of individuals
A massive learning opportunity from a developer's POV
Enthusiastic and motivated team members
Company is an industry leader and trend-setter
Extremely non-corporate environment
Free meals, dry cleaning, massage services, haircuts, etc...

ConsExtremely non-corporate environment (if you need that sort of thing)
Requires some faith that record companies aren't going to put you out of a job

Unbelievably happy, fun, and challenging place to work

Director (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHorizontal structure and growing company means the sky's the limit for what you can work on and achieve at the shark (I've worked on 3 different teams since joining before landing on my main focus)
Flexible work hours. Grooveshark cares about your performance, not that you were in the office at 8am.
Great teams in both Florida and New York. Grooveshark employees enjoy one of the best work/life balances I've seen anywhere.

ConsMusic space can be a difficult one to work in, but the industry's constantly evolving to be better

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what you're doing -- always listening to your employees about what motivates them to continually do bigger and better things within the company!

Amazing culture, driven by a passionate, visionary and talented team. I love coming to work every day.

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time for more than a year

ProsBest team in the business, incredibly rewarding, and the product is evolving and changing the streaming music game and anyone working here is rewarded for all their efforts every day. It's a family. Our advertisers see incredible CTRs and results after every campaign, 100% of the time. And the teams work tirelessly to ensure clients are above and beyond happy every step of the way. We are a part of something truly unique here. Anyone that has worked with us the last year and a half can attest.

ConsPast and some current perception and those who don't fully understand some of the history will sometimes hold you up - but only for a moment. Then they get it and see the truth and see what this incredible group of talented, driven, hard working, results oriented teams are building. It's visionary and amazing to be on a team driven to help artists and bring great music to the world. Motivated by music and a dream to achieve something great every day. No cons that can't be overcome.

Fantastic community, but not for everybody.

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time for more than a year

ProsVery open, flat culture. Everyone is accessible for pretty much everything, even when it has nothing to do with you.

Small, family-like environment. The culture is organically very nurturing and focused on community and employee happiness.

Food, laundry, massages, company events, perks around town. No joke, the cafe has without a doubt some of the best food in town.

Nice clean, usable office with solid workspaces and ample breakout rooms for privacy or meetings.

Independence and flexibility. Suggest projects you think would be valuable that you want Ru do, and chances are you can do them. Also, extremely flexible work hours, though some teams are more flexible than others.

"Unlimited vacation time" aka no one keeps track as long as you're being considerate and not abusive. And you perform well.

Lots of different kinds of people

ConsBelow average compensation. Gainesville is super cheap though.

Little upwards mobility

Sometimes a loud work environment

While friendly, the culture is definitely not for everybody

Advice to Senior ManagementMore performance based compensation.

Mom always told me to do what I love...

Community Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time for more than 3 years

Pros*The people. The types of people you meet make you want to develop your skill set in a way you never imagined.

*The job. It's the only place I've worked where I look forward to Monday, or any work day. Who doesn't strive for such things in life? Sure glad I took Mom's advice.

*The food. Having access to Sound Bites Cafe makes life so much easier. I don't cook very well and enjoy saving cash on groceries.

*Time Off. Team leaders are super flexible with taking time off. Whether it's for some general down time (video game binge?), family events, or a vacation - they work with every employee to make sure the dates they need are given. This results in less stress and guilt about being away from work.

*The Schedule. We get to choose our schedule. Whether you're a morning person, mid-day person or a night owl - they've got you covered. As long as you're getting your work done and make yourself available during times other employees may need your help or input - everyone is happy! No clocking in or worries about being late.

*The Perks. We have an in-house masseuse available twice a week to help keep us relaxed. The company also helps with a local gym membership to help keep us healthy, haircuts through a super awesome local stylist and many more benefits. Personally, it really makes me feel appreciated that my employer wants to help towards my overall happiness and wellbeing.

Cons*The Great Lighting Debate: There are those who like all the lights turned on and those who like to keep it to a minimum. We're coming close to perfection on the right amount of light to make each team happy with the installation of lighting filters. Until the perfect lighting situation is achieved in all areas of the office, you may occasionally need to say "Hey guys, can we turn off (or on) some of the lights?". Don't worry - your teammates will probably just say "Yeah, for sure" and continue with their work. Many teams have figured out the perfect lighting situation and are living in harmony with one another.

But seriously, I don't have any legit complaints. I've seen nothing but progress from my employer and look forward to sticking with them for years to come.

Best place to work in Gainesville!

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time for less than a year

ProsI feel like I can make a difference. The culture is fun. People at the company have passion for the product and the company morale is high. The perks are awesome! Free food at the restaurant, flexible schedules and vacations, free massages, free hair cuts, free laundry and dry cleaning. It really is a great place to work.

ConsIt can get a little loud in the office at times, but it is a music company. The salary is a little low but it is made up for somewhat with the stock options and awesome perks. It also feels at times that some people take advantage of the flexible schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on training new employees.

Great culture

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Grooveshark as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat work/life balance. You make your own hours and the office is buzzing with energy. Everybody at Grooveshark loves working at Grooveshark.

ConsNo sense of strong management. Very personal workspace which may not be a cup of tea to everybody.

Worst experience ever!

I have been working at Grooveshark

ProsCan't think of any at all.

ConsEverything about this company is a con

Worked for Grooveshark? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Grooveshark reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Grooveshark CEO Sam Tarantino. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Grooveshark employees.