Groundwater Environmental Services

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
2.3

Tony Kull

Decent company stuck in a fading industry.

Former Employee - Associate Engineer
    Former Employee - Associate Engineer

I worked at Groundwater Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Benefits package was comparable to other consulting firms (5 year vested 401k, health insurance).

Cons

Management structure was sometimes disorganized (i.e., multiple managers providing differing and contradictory direction), market sector is unfortunately limited (there are only so many leaky underground storage tanks in the country and breaking into emerging markets is very difficult given the intense competition of other better placed firms).

Can't decide who they want to be when they grow up!

I worked at Groundwater Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Nice people to work with. Ddecent local office culture if you have a good local manager. hard workers; decent benefits; fair pay

Cons

No clear leader of the organization; technical ability overrated within company; offices could work together better to serve the clients; turnover

Consider new executive blood. Have better communciation from the executives of the company to the employees. A fairly big disconnect there.

Great co-workers, terrible upper management

I worked at Groundwater Environmental Services

Pros

Co-workers work good as a team. A good company to obtain experience in the environmental field.

Cons

The majority of upper management have no idea what personnel are doing on a day-to-day basis. Managers whom have direct reports are too technically focused, they do not know how to manage people which causes morale issues. Upper management come and go whenever they want and some abuse company funds.

Individuals need to be recognized for their work. Personnel should be evaluated regarding their performance regularly to avoid morale issues. Personnel that actually worked were downsized, favoritism should be avoided. All personnel should be treated equal.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Avoid At All Costs

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Tampa, FL

I worked at Groundwater Environmental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The job provides a paycheck and mid-grade health benefits. There are absolutely no other pros associated with working here.

Cons

The field work is extremely monotonous; almost every site I worked on was a gas station. Most of the field sampling equipment is either in poor repair or is not working; management solves this problem by instructing the field staff to "fudge" their numbers. This practice drives morale down and makes employees take no pride in their work.

A large majority of the reports I would "write" were off of a template; I simply plugged in lab data from field sampling whereby our equipment didn't work so the numbers were completely non-representative.

Most project managers do not care about employees or the quality of the work, they were mostly concerned with keeping billable hours towards their projects down (so they can acquire the unused hours towards their "bonus").

Management has a tendency to keep billable hours low during the beginning of the week and schedule long field events later in the week. This allows them to squeeze days in excess of 12-14 hours on a Thursday and Friday without paying you overtime.

All in all, GES is not an appealing place to work. I would only recommend this employer to someone looking for a paycheck while they search for a good job elsewhere.

The company as a whole needs to diversify their client base and focus more on the quality of their work. I would also recommend focusing on management-employee relations in order to cultivate a happier, more productive work environment.

A Professional Step Backwards

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Groundwater Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Good group of people at operations "local level".

Cons

An unspoken "CYA" policy throughout management. Lower to mid level staff are managed by fear of losing their jobs. Little room for advancement.

Corporate takes a significant % of net profit and offers little to local offices to increase their profitability. Client managers are just puppets for the retail petroleum industry.

No employee loyalty. Hire and fire as workload varies.

If you have been in the industry awhile, just think of the former "Handex"

Apply common sense to management.

Decent place for a recent college graduate to gain experience, very little room for career advancement.

Former Employee - Associate Environmental Scientist
    Former Employee - Associate Environmental Scientist

I worked at Groundwater Environmental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Groundwater & Environmental Services (GES) is a decent place for recent college graduate to learn and practice environmental consulting. The field staff is primarily tasked with groundwater and soil sampling, data entry, and "writing" reports off of a template.

Cons

There is little to no diversity in client base; most sites are predominantly ExxonMobil and Shell (retail petroleum). There are frequent schedule changes with no additional compensation (1.5x pay) for working 2nd & 3rd shift hours. Management demands a minimum of 90% billability; when business is slow it can be difficult to attain this goal, management is actively aware that business is slow yet will still place the blame on the field staff. There is not room for advancement; the company is known for its "revolving door" with employees, in my 6 months on the job I had 4 coworkers that came and left the company.

In addition, GES has adopted the safety programs of their two primary clients, ExxonMobil and Shell. The safety program, Loss Prevention System or LPS can become extremely redundant at times; the field staff will be tasked with wearing an overabundance of unnecessary PPE (i.e. long sleeve shirts, kevlar gloves, and a hard hat during groundwater sampling can produce exceedingly hot conditions in the Florida sun), conducting "loss prevention observations" which can take in excess of 2 hours to conduct and write up which does not count towards your 90% billable goal (so be prepared to give GES that time for free), and field observations whereby project managers spy on you from afar during field events. These conditions do not cultivate a happy/productive/safe workplace, most of the field staff is constantly on edge.

The company preaches health and safety until it is inconvenient for them; I was once told by my project manager to not use proper traffic control (cones, flags, and caution tape) to provide protection from oncoming traffic on a busy site because the client was unhappy with my presence on site.

One of the perks of being a project manager at GES is receiving "bonus" pay for hours not billed towards their projects. This practice causes project managers to become extremely frugal with budgeted hours and often leaves the field staff with not enough billable time to allocate towards their 40 hour billable goal.

The field staff typically works excessively long hours with no additional compensation. The company offers "overtime" at the rate of 1.0 times the base of your hourly pay, however you must exceed your 40 billable hours worked so most employees do not typically earn any overtime pay.

Please be transparent and honest with potential employees during their interviews, this will avoid employees becoming immediately disappointed with their new job.

Good people to work with. OK to average benefits. Old school Sr. management style.

I worked at Groundwater Environmental Services full-time

Pros

People and co-workers at GES are great. Allows for good advancement in career path, especially if starting as entry-level employee.

Cons

Sr. Management is not very progressive and seems to be playing catch-up with what is going on in the environmental industry right now.

Need to diversify markets and clients and not put too many eggs in one basket (industry).

Not worth the stress and aggravation.

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist  in  Cranberry Twp, PA
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Groundwater Environmental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Able to work with Friendly and knowledgeable co-workers.

Cons

They work you extremely hard but give you very little motivation to do so. You never hear "good job", you only hear about how you screwed something up.

I feel that I have grown professionally at GES.

Current Employee - Proposal & Marketing Coordinator  in  Neptune, NJ
    Current Employee - Proposal & Marketing Coordinator in Neptune, NJ

I have been working at Groundwater Environmental Services

Pros

People are great, fun and happy to be at work
    Flex time in the summer
    I have been treated extremely well
    Management knows what they are doing and keep the staff in the loop

Cons

My department was located in a separate suite from the main office, so I felt a bit detached at times.

Management is doing a great job. They are growing a good company

Three Ring Circus

I worked at Groundwater Environmental Services

Pros

I no longer work there. They paid me every two weeks.

Cons

Office politics are ridiculous. Our office played heavy favorites. Pay and benefits are low for industry. Incompetent project managers expect you to read their mind.

Good luck, your "proprietary technologies" are a joke.

Worked for Groundwater Environmental Services? Contribute to the Community!