Groundwater Environmental Services

2.5
Tony Kull

1. Junior Geologist

I have been working at Groundwater Environmental Services full-time

Pros

It is a very good company to start at and to retire at. Good benefits if you do not have a family. Everyone is very social and nice and willing to assist you with anything

Cons

The middle years of the career are highly unpaid and the communication between the project managers and field workers are not very good.

Advice to Management

set up a better line of communication and delivery between co-works and managers needs to improve

2. Sinking ship

Former Employee - Associate Environmental Scientist in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Associate Environmental Scientist in Windsor, CT

I worked at Groundwater Environmental Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary was competitive for new hire. Management procedures were laid out very clearly. Very little room for error. Tuition reimbursement program is generous/

Cons

Health and safety program is beyond bureaucratic and invasive, to the point where GES is cost-prohibitive. For 3 years I did the same exact job, and was never made aware of promotion opportunities. Senior management was quite apathetic and routinely gave contradictory information. GES is overly reliant on petroleum sites, which are slowly disappearing and new clients are scared off by high overhead costs. I was also actively discouraged from using sick time, including being reprimanded for using a sick day during a blizzard when highways were closed. This place is a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Cycle down health and safety program to be competitive, clean out senior management to bring in fresh and new ideas.

3. Terrible. The company was out for the company.

Current Employee - Junior Geologist
    Current Employee - Junior Geologist

I have been working at Groundwater Environmental Services

Pros

At first, the office culture was positive, but it declined quickly. You did receive quite a bit vacation time, but were frequently asked not to use it because it would affect your billibility numbers.

Cons

As an hourly employee, I was asked to not charge for my time spent in meetings or trainings because it would affect the office billability percents. This would result in lower bonuses for the Project Managers.

5. Junior Geologist

I have been working at Groundwater Environmental Services

Pros

Very diverse in the work opportunities, never the same work over and over again and very friendly and personal staff.

Cons

does not pay as well for the middle staff. decent pay to start but not good money until project management levels.

Good starter company but my office has no room for growth.

I have been working at Groundwater Environmental Services

Pros

Straight out of college I've been able to learn how to do many different remedial tasks, write reports, and basically learn how to become a professional business person. I've also gotten to work with some great co-workers.

Cons

Been here a year and a half and I'm still doing exactly what I was doing when I was first hired. No potential for me to move up since it is a small office and the company hasn't branched out to different fields of work. It's remedial work all the time.

Advice to Management

Give local offices more opportunities to get work and don't get upset when we don't achieve our weekly billable percentage because we aren't being given enough work.

7. Decent company stuck in a fading industry.

Former Employee - Associate Engineer
    Former Employee - Associate Engineer

I worked at Groundwater Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Benefits package was comparable to other consulting firms (5 year vested 401k, health insurance).

Cons

Management structure was sometimes disorganized (i.e., multiple managers providing differing and contradictory direction), market sector is unfortunately limited (there are only so many leaky underground storage tanks in the country and breaking into emerging markets is very difficult given the intense competition of other better placed firms).

Can't decide who they want to be when they grow up!

I worked at Groundwater Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Nice people to work with. Ddecent local office culture if you have a good local manager. hard workers; decent benefits; fair pay

Cons

No clear leader of the organization; technical ability overrated within company; offices could work together better to serve the clients; turnover

Advice to Management

Consider new executive blood. Have better communciation from the executives of the company to the employees. A fairly big disconnect there.

Great co-workers, terrible upper management

I worked at Groundwater Environmental Services

Pros

Co-workers work good as a team. A good company to obtain experience in the environmental field.

Cons

The majority of upper management have no idea what personnel are doing on a day-to-day basis. Managers whom have direct reports are too technically focused, they do not know how to manage people which causes morale issues. Upper management come and go whenever they want and some abuse company funds.

Advice to Management

Individuals need to be recognized for their work. Personnel should be evaluated regarding their performance regularly to avoid morale issues. Personnel that actually worked were downsized, favoritism should be avoided. All personnel should be treated equal.

10. Avoid At All Costs

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Tampa, FL

I worked at Groundwater Environmental Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job provides a paycheck and mid-grade health benefits. There are absolutely no other pros associated with working here.

Cons

The field work is extremely monotonous; almost every site I worked on was a gas station. Most of the field sampling equipment is either in poor repair or is not working; management solves this problem by instructing the field staff to "fudge" their numbers. This practice drives morale down and makes employees take no pride in their work.

A large majority of the reports I would "write" were off of a template; I simply plugged in lab data from field sampling whereby our equipment didn't work so the numbers were completely non-representative.

Most project managers do not care about employees or the quality of the work, they were mostly concerned with keeping billable hours towards their projects down (so they can acquire the unused hours towards their "bonus").

Management has a tendency to keep billable hours low during the beginning of the week and schedule long field events later in the week. This allows them to squeeze days in excess of 12-14 hours on a Thursday and Friday without paying you overtime.

All in all, GES is not an appealing place to work. I would only recommend this employer to someone looking for a paycheck while they search for a good job elsewhere.

Advice to Management

The company as a whole needs to diversify their client base and focus more on the quality of their work. I would also recommend focusing on management-employee relations in order to cultivate a happier, more productive work environment.

A Professional Step Backwards

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Groundwater Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Good group of people at operations "local level".

Cons

An unspoken "CYA" policy throughout management. Lower to mid level staff are managed by fear of losing their jobs. Little room for advancement.

Corporate takes a significant % of net profit and offers little to local offices to increase their profitability. Client managers are just puppets for the retail petroleum industry.

No employee loyalty. Hire and fire as workload varies.

If you have been in the industry awhile, just think of the former "Handex"

Advice to Management

Apply common sense to management.

RSS Feed </> Embed