Group 1 Automotive Reviews

Reset
2.8
Group 1 Automotive President, CEO, and Director Earl J. Hesterberg
Earl J. Hesterberg

Pros
  • Feels like a small company even though it is Fortune 500 (in 4 reviews)

• There aren't any pros to working in the car business, expect money-which you don't make working for Group 1 (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No raise in 5 years, corporate big wigs belittle my job, expected to work crazy long hours at month end (in 4 reviews)

• When upper management decides to put a process in place even if its not working they wont change it (in 3 reviews)

1. A learning experience.

Current Employee - N/A
    Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally the other employees are great to work with.

Cons

Revolving door, lower level employees often overlooked or tapped for their KSA's. Upper management seems all about their self.

Advice to Management

Take time to evaluate who you have already within your helm when looking to increase staff, stop changing pay plans, and other wage changes to fit your bonus bottom line. Recognize employees with promotions and wage increases. Don't wait for them to leave to realize the potential.

2. So happy to be gone!

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Group 1 Automotive (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people
    401k match
    Easy to gain employment since they'll hire anyone.

Cons

Terrible compensation
    "good ol boy" management system
    Incompetent management

Advice to Management

The only people making money are the CEO, GM's Directors and corporate employees. Sales managers, finance managers and especially front line employees have the absolute worst pay plans in the industry. Seasoned professional sales people will not accept a $2-3K pack (arbitrary dealer fee prior to compensating a salesperson their 20% commission) which is why only rookie salespeople will work for them. This shows in the amount of turnover and quality of sales people who work at group 1 dealerships. In the end it's the customers that suffer. I left a couple of years ago and have since tripled my income by working at a family owned dealer selling the same volume of cars. Managers especially love to suck up to the CEO who frequents a couple of high end dealerships in the Houston area always pulling up in his favorite super car. The amount of sucking up is kinda pathetic considering this is the guy screwing everyone over for the "shareholders" ie: his year end bonus! My advice....pay a good wage and get good employees and treat people like people not #'s. Also maybe the CEO's compensation should reflect employees satisfaction as well as shareholder profit.

3. Billing Clerk

Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive (More than a year)

Pros

There is absolutely nothing positive to say about this company. They treat their employees like dirt!

Cons

Horrible pay, no training so no possibility of advancement. No respect for work/family balance. I tried to take half a day off for doc appointments and could not get a response from 4 supervisors!

Advice to Management

Respect your employees.

5. Poor compensation and commission structure

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time

Pros

Friendly co-workers, full benefits (albeit expensive)

Cons

Bad management, unfair pay structure, punishing draw system

Advice to Management

Provide a better base salary to sales reps

6. Corporation that doesn

Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Austin, TX

I worked at Group 1 Automotive (More than 5 years)

Pros

I gained a lot of knowledge there, since they hired me with no experience.

Cons

After working at a competitor where employees are treated as important members of the team, i can say with certainty that Group 1 employees truly are treated as numbers by corporate. They don't care that there is a revolving door of employees and don't seem to realize that it costs them more money to hire and train new people than it does to treat their people with respect. The pay is not great either, and benefits are behind the norm for this industry. When I left, I hadn't had a raise in 5 years despite exemplary performance and being given more and more responsibility.

Advice to Management

Don't be so short sited when it comes to the bottom line. Happy employees actually helps the bottom line.

7. You have a better chance getting screwed by this company then you do being in prison. Especially if you're a technician.

Former Employee - Automotive Technician in Egg Harbor Township, NJ
    Former Employee - Automotive Technician in Egg Harbor Township, NJ

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Well provided equipment in shop.
    -Good shop work environment.
    -Easy going coworkers & vendors.
    -Flexible hours & long lunch break.

Cons

-Terrible pay.
    -No guarantee being flat-rate
    -Little business coming through.
    -I do not recommend anyone work for this company if your a technician. Especially with BMW of Atlantic City. Management are lying crooks.

Advice to Management

Worry about your employees pockets before you worry about your own.

8. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Billing Clerk in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Billing Clerk in Houston, TX

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive

Pros

Wonderful people, great office environment

Cons

Difficult to speak to management, not understanding when sick or children are sick... very late hours during close out... always empty promises to make close out better and shorter hours... after 3 years I saw no change in the process

Advice to Management

Be understanding and keep promises or don't make any promises

9. Worst paying sales job I've ever seen in the car business

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time

Pros

I really like my co-workers. I like management at the store level.

Cons

The pay plan is atrocious. They gerrymander the cars with adds and pack to the point of theft from their sales staff. Always seems to be a new rule or regulation that allows them to avoid paying a commission or bonus. Seem to be more interested in having 20 chumps making minimum wage on the sales floor, as opposed to paying some real pros. Feels like a glass ceiling is being placed on our income.

Advice to Management

Not sure where the divide falls to be perfectly honest? Is the way compensation doled out controlled at the store, or corporate level?

10. Does anybody care about good employees?

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee benefits are good.

Cons

My experience so far. GM's get in the seat and forget really fast what got them there. Leadership skills in the dealership I'm in are non-existent. No training. A bunch of " we are gonna start doing this and that" but nothing ever happens. But the clique's get to leave early if they want o. I know some sales managers that come in at 9:00 to 9:15 everday and leave at 4:30 to 5:00 everyday. And just leave sales people and Finance to deal with everything else. Go figure.

Advice to Management

INSPECT WHAT YOU EXPECT. NOT ALL OF THOSE GOLDEN BOYS ARE WORTH A FLIP. Oh and by they way if you come to your GM with an issue, Good luck , you get the bobblehead answer. . I find it funny that most of these surveys are done anonoynously.

11. Hard work

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location, 3 really good managers, 1might even be there. free coffee, free lunch on Sat. Uniforms. In hindsight the health benefits were ok, better that my then assessment.

Cons

Not many good managers. Margins are so tight, everyone is running around with the heads cut off because margins dictate we're understaffed. Needs to be better inter-departmental cooperation. I know this would require changing the entire industry, but you have to try to start in your own back yard.

Advice to Management

Think longer term. Treat people well and the bottom line will take care of itself. Let me just crank wrenches.

RSS Feed </> Embed