Group 1 Automotive

Updated September 21, 2014
2.7

Group 1 Automotive President, CEO, and Director Earl J. Hesterberg
Earl J. Hesterberg

Strong company with a good future.

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is very good based on the amount of work you put in. A person can get a lot from Group 1 if they are wiling to put some skin in the game. The company is growing fast and the benefits are excellent. The opportunity to advance is always there for the employees who show initiative and the drive to succeed.

Cons

In general, auto sales is time consuming. The time spent at work can be detrimental to family life, if your family is not used to this. Long hours aren't unique to Group 1, but with the auto retailing industry as a whole.

I would recommend corporate level employees getting more involved with dealership level personnel.

A great company to gain experience but not to build a future.

Current Employee - Call Center Agent  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than a year

Pros

The experience to add to your resume, pay is decent for work load, schedule is flexible as long as you don't want weekends off.

Cons

You will work every Saturday unless you call out; They don't rotate weekends and will deny any Saturday time-off request, including unpaid time off. Team leads can be very messy, everyone gossips in the call center which causes unwanted stress; upper management are very petty; if you misspell a word while typing an email, it's a problem yet they don't want you taking your time to proof read your messages. It's not a bad company but don't work in the call center; I hear accounting is much different

Pretend to care more about your staff personally instead of only the needs of the call center

Not what I was expecting!!

Current Employee - Inventory Processor  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Inventory Processor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work at your own pace.
    Steady job.
    Not too much pressure.
    Management doesn't micro manage all too much.
    Office culture is ok.

Cons

Very bad compensation compared to the competition. Very bad pay overall actually.
    Wouldn't consider this a place for recent graduates as I was.
    No growth at all.
    Small learning curve.
    No one cares for you to move up.
    Extremely long end of months closings.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Made promises in job announcement they never intended on keeping.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Columbus, GA

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for less than a year

Pros

I suppose if your a Salary employee or an hourly employee the benefits are good.

Cons

Inconsistent work schedules dishonest management, and terrible work vs reward.

Treat your people better and they will work harder for you don't tell them one thing then do another. A well compensated employee dose a better job and in turn your company becomes more profitable.

An overall learning experience

Former Employee - Accounting Services  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Accounting Services in Houston, TX

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office environment is diverse, workload is average sometimes heavy and new facility.

Cons

Pay is below average, work-life balance depends on the department you work in, a couple of bad department managers/supervisors who are mistreating employees. Company doesn't seem to have an interest in employee satisfaction below corporate level. .

Employee appreciation is below minimal(sub par), benefits lacked as well as values throughout some departments in accounting. Pay was not an incentive to work here, nor was the benefits.

Call Center Agent

Former Employee - Agent  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time

Pros

It pays the bills. The company is growing. Not many pros for working here. Sorry. I wish I could think of some but it is difficult. There are some nice people here though.

Cons

Only 4 Holidays, Only 3 sick days per year, only 5 VAC days after you have worked 1 year, then 10 VAC after 2 years. No reviews or raises even after 2 years of service. Pay is low. Management plays favorites. Schedules such as lunch times, break times are set by management. Large turnover of call center employees. Low employee moral. Constant monitoring of all activities including bathroom breaks. Constant criticism and very little praise.

Accounts Receivable Clerk

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Clerk  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are a recent college graduate with no working experience this would be a good place to work.

Cons

Alot of overtime with no raises, training and the pay is horrible at this company.

Management needs to learn how to be effective leaders in this company.

Service Writer.....Don't Do it! You would be better off in any other minimum wage position

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive

Pros

With the apparent high volume of daily transactions taking place and the Fortune 500 Status of this Company, the opportunities for a successful career seemed promising.

Cons

Long Hours, Hostile Co-workers, Low Pay, "Sink-or-Swim" attitude towards new trainees, The point of sale system consists of a plethora of archaic and extremely inefficient programs and sub-programs that must all be learned accessed independently . Not long after being hired, I came to the realization that the lack of training was and intentional rather than a inherent condition that just needed improvement. 66 hours expected per week - no overtime. The ill-tempered technicians and testy customers were easy to deal with compared to the truly ugly demeanor of peers and supervisors.

Greedy! One of the kinds of work places that our parents tried to raise us to be wary of. Streamline your Point of sale system....from greeting through cash out. It is one of the reasons customers were waiting
    longer than they necessarily had to. I was dependent on the other writers and supervisors to enter any coupons as a trainee and they were of little or no help.

Constantly leaning new departments.

Current Employee - Manager Trainee  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than a year

Pros

I'm never bored. Always learning something new cause in my job title, I move from departments to departments every few months.

Cons

I feel like chop liver sometimes. I can be moved whenever management thinks it's in"their" best interests. But the roll that I'm suppose to play is being future manager.

Management is not about sink or swim. Guide your new employees and make them into someone promising. Turnover ratio is too high in car sales.

Working at Group1Automotive

Current Employee - Inventory Processor  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Inventory Processor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Hours. flexible lunch time

Cons

Just a starting average company. Cant settle down here for long term.

Consider raising the salary of people with accounting degree

Worked for Group 1 Automotive? Contribute to the Community!