Group 1 Automotive

Updated November 27, 2014
2.5

Group 1 Automotive President, CEO, and Director Earl J. Hesterberg
Earl J. Hesterberg

You get out what you put in

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you put effort into the job you can get ahead and make some money. Lots of new positions open with the various groups. Contrary to what you hear, management wants you to do well as this is how they make money. Fairly good training. You MIGHT even get a decent General Manager like I have.

Cons

Reviews are BS. No pay raises for hourly employees, ever - and pay plan for commission players doesn't change either. As a Corporate entity they are constantly looking to cut expenses - and that usually means your pay. Health Insurance is the worst I've ever seen. Expensive and with huge deductibles. Huge turnover (is it a wonder why?).

Why are people REALLY leaving? Is it the culture? The stagnant pay? The lousy benefits? As long as all the money keeps flowing to the top, nothing is going to change.

Does anybody care about good employees?

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee benefits are good.

Cons

My experience so far. GM's get in the seat and forget really fast what got them there. Leadership skills in the dealership I'm in are non-existent. No training. A bunch of " we are gonna start doing this and that" but nothing ever happens. But the clique's get to leave early if they want o. I know some sales managers that come in at 9:00 to 9:15 everday and leave at 4:30 to 5:00 everyday. And just leave sales people and Finance to deal with everything else. Go figure.

INSPECT WHAT YOU EXPECT. NOT ALL OF THOSE GOLDEN BOYS ARE WORTH A FLIP. Oh and by they way if you come to your GM with an issue, Good luck , you get the bobblehead answer. . I find it funny that most of these surveys are done anonoynously.

Hard work

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location, 3 really good managers, 1might even be there. free coffee, free lunch on Sat. Uniforms. In hindsight the health benefits were ok, better that my then assessment.

Cons

Not many good managers. Margins are so tight, everyone is running around with the heads cut off because margins dictate we're understaffed. Needs to be better inter-departmental cooperation. I know this would require changing the entire industry, but you have to try to start in your own back yard.

Think longer term. Treat people well and the bottom line will take care of itself. Let me just crank wrenches.

Great company

Former Employee - Used Car Perp Manager in Amityville, NY
    Former Employee - Used Car Perp Manager in Amityville, NY

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The staff is great to work with. The work environment is great. Great benefits and very steady work. Everyone was friendly

Cons

The pay plans change constantly. The managers really have no say, they all blame the corporation. Pay was ok depending on that quarters plan.

Strong company with a good future.

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is very good based on the amount of work you put in. A person can get a lot from Group 1 if they are wiling to put some skin in the game. The company is growing fast and the benefits are excellent. The opportunity to advance is always there for the employees who show initiative and the drive to succeed.

Cons

In general, auto sales is time consuming. The time spent at work can be detrimental to family life, if your family is not used to this. Long hours aren't unique to Group 1, but with the auto retailing industry as a whole.

I would recommend corporate level employees getting more involved with dealership level personnel.

Terrible training, low pay

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Clerk in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can only think of one, they serve you dinner on month end.

Cons

I don't know where to begin, this is a sweat shop for Accountants. $15 per hour, no vacation or time off for a year. The team has an internal issue with helping, because they do not trust leadership. There is no true leadership with this firm, they will throw you in the fire and let you burn. One your team finds out you are degreed, they become nervous and will not help you for fear of, I have no Idea.

If you are going to brag about how large you are and the amount of assets, please pay your team what they are worth. There should be flex time and there needs to be a formal training in place. Plot out a plan of progression for employees with a degree in Accounting.

This company needs to think about their employees and pay their employees fairly with better benefits.

Current Employee - CDC Agent in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - CDC Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Relaxed environment in the CDC. Coworkers are good to work with. Everyone is friendly.

Cons

Communication is poor. Leadership can be petty. Favoritism is very detectable. The pay is horrible for the workload we do. The benefits are even worse. Too many HR issues slide.

Pay your employees properly. Offer better insurance. Hiring better leaders that communicate well with others and that genuinely want to make sure everyone succeeds. Too much money being spent on the CDC with no pay increase or better benefits in sight.

Great company with many great employees and managers with a few exceptions...

Former Employee - Customer Service in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, decent pay, friendly atmosphere

Cons

Some managers are shady, not much of room for growth, raises are almost non-existant

Promote based on merit not favoritism.

A great company to gain experience but not to build a future.

Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The experience to add to your resume, pay is decent for work load, schedule is flexible as long as you don't want weekends off.

Cons

You will work every Saturday unless you call out; They don't rotate weekends and will deny any Saturday time-off request, including unpaid time off. Team leads can be very messy, everyone gossips in the call center which causes unwanted stress; upper management are very petty; if you misspell a word while typing an email, it's a problem yet they don't want you taking your time to proof read your messages. It's not a bad company but don't work in the call center; I hear accounting is much different

Pretend to care more about your staff personally instead of only the needs of the call center

Terrible place to work.

Current Employee - Inventory Processor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Inventory Processor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fellow employees are nice
    The location is great easy on and off 290

Cons

No Reviews
    No Raises
    Supervisors are incompetent
    You won't be promoted unless your a kiss
    Company sends out emails on begin a fortune 500 company but for some reason can't pass the earning down to their front line employees.

Stop saying you are working on getting a plan together for giving employees reviews ... Seriously ???