Group 1 Automotive

Add Photos

Group 1 Automotive President, CEO, and Director Earl J. Hesterberg

Earl J. Hesterberg

Working at Group1Automotive

Inventory Processor (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible Hours. flexible lunch time

ConsJust a starting average company. Cant settle down here for long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider raising the salary of people with accounting degree

If You Have The Right Attitude, Group 1 Will Offer Stablility and Growth Opportunity

Finance & Insurance Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe car sales business is tough and sometimes emotions can run high because of the large investment of personal time an employee gives in order to be truly successful; working for Group 1 is no different. Yet, if you look at the whole picture- the overall career stability, income, advancement, and training opportunities that they offer their employees, it is truly a good job to have. If you ask for it, they will go out of their way to offer you advancement opportunitites and they will compensate you generously for it. They offer great training for the newbies and continual advancement for the savvy sales professional. I worked at David Taylor for many years and my co-workers were awesome; so awesome in fact, they are lifetime friends- not just work aquaintances. It's easy to take for granted the value of a steady income in this business for many reasons- as any experienced salesman or woman will understand; it happens to the best of us at one time or another. The key is to keep the right attitude during the down swings and know that it will balance itself out eventually.

ConsThere were some shaky times with the Sales Managers and Assistant Sales Managers that were brought in while I worked there. This had a major impact on the sales force and everyone struggled because of it. But I believe this was recognized in a reasonable amount of time and they have worked diligently to implement positive resolve which really impresses me. To say that it is not easy to run a dealership is a huge understatement. It is an extreme job and you take a lot of heat. The fact that the General Manager at David Taylor evaluated the problem and then took action proves he cares about the work environment that is being providing for the sales force. Having a General Manager like this is not only a blessing, it is rare. I always give respect when it is earned and they earned it. Good Job!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Good

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time

ProsGreat people, fair Salary for Manager Trainee program

ConsCorporate not in sync with local store so far as the MT program is concern

Advice to Senior ManagementMT program should be re-accessed for ROI.

Great place to work

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than a year

ProsFortune 500 company environment, Very good benefits, no stress from the management.

ConsLong hours if you want to make a living with that job, the play plan has changed recently making everything difficult to make money

I work as a Finance Manager for Group 1 and have been extremely happy with the company so far.

Finance Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than a year

ProsHigh job security for car business job, enormous opportunities available for advancement, generous pay plans for top producers, willing to give an opportunity to just about anyone, but you will only get out of it what you put into it.

ConsWorking in the car business is kind of like owning your own business, you have the freedom and autonomy to do as you please more or less, but you will only make ridiculous money and advance at a ridiculous pace if you are willing to put in a ridiculous amount of work. It takes a lot of ambition, energy, courage & self-discipline to succeed in this organization, but if you're ready to put in the work and learn from your mistakes you will make more than you ever thought possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure pay plans for sales personal and management to focus less on deal volume and more on profitability. Most new car salesman leave money on the table with the vast majority of their deals because they really don't care how profitable the deal is because they already know with pack and even a small discount the deal is just going to be a flat. Therefore they take the path of least resistance and whore-out cars. Understand that 70% of profitability comes from 30% of deals and find ways to restructure marketing budgets and pay plans to encourage more of those most profitable deals.

Car Business, a whole different animal...

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTo quote my co-workers, "At least we have a job." So I guess it's okay to settle for being treated like a lower class person as long as their is a paycheck involved.

ConsSee Pros. I hate repeating myself...

Advice to Senior ManagementThe word management in itself does not mean leadership. I rather be with a company with great leadership than with a company with great management. Unfortunately, GP1 does not have great leadership or great management. We are working for a former car salesman. Sure, they will promise you the world but when the deal is ready to be finalized, you will always be the one getting screwed out of something. Benefits package is a poorly thought out package. I rather spend money on Obamacare than the insurance they serve us. (Yes. It is that bad. Don't worry, corporate benefits is way better. We accidentally found that out.)

A fast paced working environment.

Internet Sales Professional (Current Employee)
Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for less than a year

ProsIt is a fast paced working environment. There is always work that needs to be done. If you are willing to work hard and work smart, you can make a lot of money. There is a lot of freedom in what you do, even when you first start. It is really up to you how much you want to work, but everyone can see what you produce. You will get a lot of support from your managers, as their pay is on the line too. The managers are also very good at their jobs.

ConsYou work very long days and very difficult to get time off. I often end up working when I'm on my off days. You can take time off but it hurts your business. Also if you are not careful other salesman will take your customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like for meetings to have more structure in them. Also I would like for them to keep us better informed as to what is going on.

Current Group 1 employee

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood and fair company to work for as long as you are willing to contribute. Many opportunities to grow and advance as well as the pride associated with working for a successful and growing company.

ConsWhile no company is perfect - Group 1 is better than most. You will not be happy working here if you are not willing to apply yourself and meet challenges associated with a dynamic, changing workplace and business environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and continue the positive direction and growth of the company.

Don't do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Technician (Current Employee)
Columbia, SC

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than a year

ProsHave not seen any pros yet.

ConsThey work all employees like animals, push, push, push. Looking for only volume out of the technicians. You would never think this is a high end BMW dealership.....if BMW in Germany ever knew? Oh yes they don't pay overtime even when you are on a 45hr plus schedule, they alter your time card. The SC labor department is going to love that. Big turnover in all areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreed...........can't run the place by yourself. Need employees that want to come to work and care about what they are doing.

A lot of employ benefit fluff but really more interested in profits.

Accounting Clerk (Current Employee)

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than a year

ProsNice building, some bonus opportunities, job security, flexibility depending on what dept.

ConsLack of value placed on lower level employees. Ex. Managers get up front parking while everyone else parks further away. A lot of gossiping and high school cliques. No raises or reviews. Poor training.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more focus on training and office professionalism. There are too many cliques in lower management that is highly unprofessional and gives the image of favoritism. Director of Accounting is very cheap and cuts corners to the detriment of employees that don't get proper attention and training.

Worked for Group 1 Automotive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Group 1 Automotive reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Group 1 Automotive CEO Earl J. Hesterberg. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Group 1 Automotive employees.