Group 1 Automotive Reviews

Reset
2.6
Group 1 Automotive President, CEO, and Director Earl J. Hesterberg
Earl J. Hesterberg

Pros
  • Feels like a small company even though it is Fortune 500 (in 4 reviews)

• There aren't any pros to working in the car business, expect money-which you don't make working for Group 1 (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No raise in 5 years, corporate big wigs belittle my job, expected to work crazy long hours at month end (in 4 reviews)

• When upper management decides to put a process in place even if its not working they wont change it (in 3 reviews)

1. Shifty and Disorganized

Former Employee - New Car Sales and Leasing
    Former Employee - New Car Sales and Leasing

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some middle management will work to help you, and love helping customers. They keep an open mind in hiring a diverse range of people. Corporate keeps a close enough eye on individual branches, offers ample training.

Cons

Disorganized - seems nobody is on the same page at any time, ever. Cars would be advertised a certain way, and wouldn't be as such or even available at all, and nobody knew why. Customers would be waiting for hours for minor appointments. Keys often went missing and there was no accountability for tenured employees. The mass exodus of employees from the location made transitioning difficult and led to confusion. Facilities not capable of handling the business they want to conduct, and as a result things were crowded and disorganized. Slightly dishonest - more concerned with making lofty promises when the actual likelihood of fulfillment is not high. Sketchy pay grades - asked employees not to discuss their pay rates, because regardless of performance, some were making 7-18% more commission with zero justification as to why. Not based on performance or seniority or qualifications, just because the manager wanted to pay more. Impractical demands - Request employees handle issues that management should deal with, when employees are powerless to resolve the issues. Impolite - Specific management was, quite frankly, boarish. In every sense of the word. Self centered and only interested in the employees they have a common interest in, and willing to sabotage those they don't for what seems to be personal enjoyment.

Advice to Management

Keep a closer eye on internal operations, don't over-promise customers, don't have two commision grades for arbitrary reasons for the same position, and don't bully and sabotage specific employees trying to do their job simply because they're not your "buddy".

2. BMW of AC is just sad and shame on GP1

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mays Landing, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mays Landing, NJ

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time

Pros

Some people are ok to work with.

Cons

Upper management is aweful. No one knows what's going on or how to do anything in this company. Or they do and are just down right lazy. No raises or reviews. No structure or respect for the employees or the customers. Absolutely no training or respect. Sink or swim place. Ask a question and your talked down to and disrespected. So it really makes you not want to do your job. Everyone works beyond the hours there supposed to. So no one is really happy. They do a luncheon every month and a Christmas party every year. That's kind don't get me wrong. But no raises, tell me that makes any since. I don't want a luncheon I need money to feed my family and pay bills.

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together and speak up for your employees. Get them the money they deserve. And for goodness sake give them respect and grow up. I've worked with amazing management before and they will fight for there employees not disrespect them.

3. So happy to be gone!

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Group 1 Automotive (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people 401k match Easy to gain employment since they'll hire anyone.

Cons

Terrible compensation "good ol boy" management system Incompetent management

Advice to Management

The only people making money are the CEO, GM's Directors and corporate employees. Sales managers, finance managers and especially front line employees have the absolute worst pay plans in the industry. Seasoned professional sales people will not accept a $2-3K pack (arbitrary dealer fee prior to compensating a salesperson their 20% commission) which is why only rookie salespeople will work for them. This shows in the amount of turnover and quality of sales people who work at group 1 dealerships. In the end it's the customers that suffer. I left a couple of years ago and have since tripled my income by working at a family owned dealer selling the same volume of cars. Managers especially love to suck up to the CEO who frequents a couple of high end dealerships in the Houston area always pulling up in his favorite super car. The amount of sucking up is kinda pathetic considering this is the guy screwing everyone over for the "shareholders" ie: his year end bonus! My advice....pay a good wage and get good employees and treat people like people not #'s. Also maybe the CEO's compensation should reflect employees satisfaction as well as shareholder profit.

5. Billing Clerk

Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive (More than a year)

Pros

There is absolutely nothing positive to say about this company. They treat their employees like dirt!

Cons

Horrible pay, no training so no possibility of advancement. No respect for work/family balance. I tried to take half a day off for doc appointments and could not get a response from 4 supervisors!

Advice to Management

Respect your employees.

6. Poor compensation and commission structure

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time

Pros

Friendly co-workers, full benefits (albeit expensive)

Cons

Bad management, unfair pay structure, punishing draw system

Advice to Management

Provide a better base salary to sales reps

7. Corporation that doesn

Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Austin, TX

I worked at Group 1 Automotive (More than 5 years)

Pros

I gained a lot of knowledge there, since they hired me with no experience.

Cons

After working at a competitor where employees are treated as important members of the team, i can say with certainty that Group 1 employees truly are treated as numbers by corporate. They don't care that there is a revolving door of employees and don't seem to realize that it costs them more money to hire and train new people than it does to treat their people with respect. The pay is not great either, and benefits are behind the norm for this industry. When I left, I hadn't had a raise in 5 years despite exemplary performance and being given more and more responsibility.

Advice to Management

Don't be so short sited when it comes to the bottom line. Happy employees actually helps the bottom line.

8. A learning experience.

Current Employee - N/A
    Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally the other employees are great to work with.

Cons

Revolving door, lower level employees often overlooked or tapped for their KSA's. Upper management seems all about their self.

Advice to Management

Take time to evaluate who you have already within your helm when looking to increase staff, stop changing pay plans, and other wage changes to fit your bonus bottom line. Recognize employees with promotions and wage increases. Don't wait for them to leave to realize the potential.

9. You have a better chance getting screwed by this company then you do being in prison. Especially if you're a technician.

Former Employee - Automotive Technician in Egg Harbor Township, NJ
    Former Employee - Automotive Technician in Egg Harbor Township, NJ

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Well provided equipment in shop. -Good shop work environment. -Easy going coworkers & vendors. -Flexible hours & long lunch break. -

Cons

-Terrible pay. -No guarantee being flat-rate -Little business coming through. -I do not recommend anyone work for this company if your a technician. Especially with BMW of Atlantic City. Management are lying crooks.

Advice to Management

Worry about your employees pockets before you worry about your own.

10. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Billing Clerk in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Billing Clerk in Houston, TX

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive

Pros

Wonderful people, great office environment

Cons

Difficult to speak to management, not understanding when sick or children are sick... very late hours during close out... always empty promises to make close out better and shorter hours... after 3 years I saw no change in the process

Advice to Management

Be understanding and keep promises or don't make any promises

11. Worst paying sales job I've ever seen in the car business

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time

Pros

I really like my co-workers. I like management at the store level.

Cons

The pay plan is atrocious. They gerrymander the cars with adds and pack to the point of theft from their sales staff. Always seems to be a new rule or regulation that allows them to avoid paying a commission or bonus. Seem to be more interested in having 20 chumps making minimum wage on the sales floor, as opposed to paying some real pros. Feels like a glass ceiling is being placed on our income.

Advice to Management

Not sure where the divide falls to be perfectly honest? Is the way compensation doled out controlled at the store, or corporate level?

RSS Feed </> Embed