Group 1 Automotive Reviews

An overall learning experience

Former Employee - Accounting Services  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Accounting Services in Houston, TX

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office environment is diverse, workload is average sometimes heavy and new facility.

Cons

Pay is below average, work-life balance depends on the department you work in, a couple of bad department managers/supervisors who are mistreating employees. Company doesn't seem to have an interest in employee satisfaction below corporate level. .

Employee appreciation is below minimal(sub par), benefits lacked as well as values throughout some departments in accounting. Pay was not an incentive to work here, nor was the benefits.

Call Center Agent

Former Employee - Agent  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time

Pros

It pays the bills. The company is growing. Not many pros for working here. Sorry. I wish I could think of some but it is difficult. There are some nice people here though.

Cons

Only 4 Holidays, Only 3 sick days per year, only 5 VAC days after you have worked 1 year, then 10 VAC after 2 years. No reviews or raises even after 2 years of service. Pay is low. Management plays favorites. Schedules such as lunch times, break times are set by management. Large turnover of call center employees. Low employee moral. Constant monitoring of all activities including bathroom breaks. Constant criticism and very little praise.

Accounts Receivable Clerk

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Clerk  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are a recent college graduate with no working experience this would be a good place to work.

Cons

Alot of overtime with no raises, training and the pay is horrible at this company.

Management needs to learn how to be effective leaders in this company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Service Writer.....Don't Do it! You would be better off in any other minimum wage position

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive

Pros

With the apparent high volume of daily transactions taking place and the Fortune 500 Status of this Company, the opportunities for a successful career seemed promising.

Cons

Long Hours, Hostile Co-workers, Low Pay, "Sink-or-Swim" attitude towards new trainees, The point of sale system consists of a plethora of archaic and extremely inefficient programs and sub-programs that must all be learned accessed independently . Not long after being hired, I came to the realization that the lack of training was and intentional rather than a inherent condition that just needed improvement. 66 hours expected per week - no overtime. The ill-tempered technicians and testy customers were easy to deal with compared to the truly ugly demeanor of peers and supervisors.

Greedy! One of the kinds of work places that our parents tried to raise us to be wary of. Streamline your Point of sale system....from greeting through cash out. It is one of the reasons customers were waiting
    longer than they necessarily had to. I was dependent on the other writers and supervisors to enter any coupons as a trainee and they were of little or no help.

Constantly leaning new departments.

Current Employee - Manager Trainee  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than a year

Pros

I'm never bored. Always learning something new cause in my job title, I move from departments to departments every few months.

Cons

I feel like chop liver sometimes. I can be moved whenever management thinks it's in"their" best interests. But the roll that I'm suppose to play is being future manager.

Management is not about sink or swim. Guide your new employees and make them into someone promising. Turnover ratio is too high in car sales.

Working at Group1Automotive

Current Employee - Inventory Processor  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Inventory Processor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Hours. flexible lunch time

Cons

Just a starting average company. Cant settle down here for long term.

Consider raising the salary of people with accounting degree

If You Have The Right Attitude, Group 1 Will Offer Stablility and Growth Opportunity

Former Employee - Finance & Insurance Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Finance & Insurance Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The car sales business is tough and sometimes emotions can run high because of the large investment of personal time an employee gives in order to be truly successful; working for Group 1 is no different. Yet, if you look at the whole picture- the overall career stability, income, advancement, and training opportunities that they offer their employees, it is truly a good job to have. If you ask for it, they will go out of their way to offer you advancement opportunitites and they will compensate you generously for it. They offer great training for the newbies and continual advancement for the savvy sales professional. I worked at David Taylor for many years and my co-workers were awesome; so awesome in fact, they are lifetime friends- not just work aquaintances. It's easy to take for granted the value of a steady income in this business for many reasons- as any experienced salesman or woman will understand; it happens to the best of us at one time or another. The key is to keep the right attitude during the down swings and know that it will balance itself out eventually.

Cons

There were some shaky times with the Sales Managers and Assistant Sales Managers that were brought in while I worked there. This had a major impact on the sales force and everyone struggled because of it. But I believe this was recognized in a reasonable amount of time and they have worked diligently to implement positive resolve which really impresses me. To say that it is not easy to run a dealership is a huge understatement. It is an extreme job and you take a lot of heat. The fact that the General Manager at David Taylor evaluated the problem and then took action proves he cares about the work environment that is being providing for the sales force. Having a General Manager like this is not only a blessing, it is rare. I always give respect when it is earned and they earned it. Good Job!

Keep up the good work

Good

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time

Pros

Great people, fair Salary for Manager Trainee program

Cons

Corporate not in sync with local store so far as the MT program is concern

MT program should be re-accessed for ROI.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fortune 500 company environment, Very good benefits, no stress from the management.

Cons

Long hours if you want to make a living with that job, the play plan has changed recently making everything difficult to make money

I work as a Finance Manager for Group 1 and have been extremely happy with the company so far.

Current Employee - Finance Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Group 1 Automotive full-time for more than a year

Pros

High job security for car business job, enormous opportunities available for advancement, generous pay plans for top producers, willing to give an opportunity to just about anyone, but you will only get out of it what you put into it.

Cons

Working in the car business is kind of like owning your own business, you have the freedom and autonomy to do as you please more or less, but you will only make ridiculous money and advance at a ridiculous pace if you are willing to put in a ridiculous amount of work. It takes a lot of ambition, energy, courage & self-discipline to succeed in this organization, but if you're ready to put in the work and learn from your mistakes you will make more than you ever thought possible.

Restructure pay plans for sales personal and management to focus less on deal volume and more on profitability. Most new car salesman leave money on the table with the vast majority of their deals because they really don't care how profitable the deal is because they already know with pack and even a small discount the deal is just going to be a flat. Therefore they take the path of least resistance and whore-out cars. Understand that 70% of profitability comes from 30% of deals and find ways to restructure marketing budgets and pay plans to encourage more of those most profitable deals.

Worked for Group 1 Automotive? Contribute to the Community!