Group Health

Scott Armstrong

Very good until now

Manager (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGroup Health stands for and reaches for the right things in health care.

There are many, many people who work there are very committed to the Group Health model--integrated health care--and that can make for a very satisfying place to work.

ConsIn the current environment, with lots of downsizing and restructuring, all of it necessary, some leaders have taken advantage of this for personal gain, making some awful personnel decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter monitoring of leaders/manager who are operating in a vacuum; that is, when there is a vacant position above that manager/leader.

Lets make sure everyone walks the talk, particularly when it comes to our leadership model.

Promising but disappointing

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCoworkers, Health benefits, Paid Time Off

ConsUnaligned Business Goals, Work-Life Balance, Management

fast paced, informatics & productivity driven environment

Prosgood compensation, professionalism of medical staff

Consemployees have little time to even catch their breath, yet alone gain personal growth other than one's care for the welfare of patients

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay far far away

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGreat mission.. and nothing more

ConsLeadership lacks any business acumen. Bullying of new employees by senior employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure starting with the top

If you only want to follow it's a great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits and work life balance

ConsOutdated management style and culture is overall negative

Decent place to work, with odd dynamic

Manager (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsWork life balance is excellent. People are generally very nice. If you work at the headquarters, South lake Union is a vibrant area and has many places you can walk to lunch. Benefits are good, with a fairly liberal paid time off policy.

ConsCompany lacks leadership and direction. There are factions at the senior executive level that have conflicting priorities and can't reconcile them. Most of the senior leadership has spent the vast majority of their careers at Group Health, so there is a massive lack of business acumen.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that your employees are not telling you everything, because they don't understand what is actually important to the business. Connect more directly with field employees and learn what is going on. Don't try to do this in "town hall" meetings as employees generally don't feel safe speaking up in these events.

Decent company who needs to pick a direction and stick with it.

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Tukwila, WA

ProsSalaried workers seem to have a wage above market for the area (though hourly seems to be lower than market value for the area). Strong benefits package and a pretty decent work/life balance.

ConsLayoffs are a constant topic of discussion. Either talking about previous layoffs, restructuring from layoffs, or the potential for future layoffs.
    Inconsistent level of facilities. The difference between the Tukwila "Administrative" campus and the HQ in South Lake Union is remarkable.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus some time and effort on bringing all campuses up to the high level of quality you have set with the HQ building.

Only in it for the money

Membership Representative (Former Employee)
    Spokane, WA

ProsGood benefits and decent paid time off

ConsGroup Health talks a big game, but unless you want to smooch the butt of a higher up, you will never get ahead. Performance does not count. Only how brown your nose is. Don't expect a decent raise because the company has to have enough money to pay their union staff their guaranteed raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementFIX MEMBERSHIP!! It is an insult that Seattle counterparts make double and triple what Spokane reps do. Especially after you laid off 2/3 of the staff and those people left have to now do double or triple the work. $16/hr is an insult to a person who handles all the revenue that comes in. I got another job making almost twice that in a very similar industry. Take care of your people! The majority of the union staff is worthless. Weed out the bad ones and pay the performers more! Why do you think people keep leaving? Because you cut us off at the knees and then beat us like dogs to make up for your stupid decisions. Is upper management seriously that blind?

Focus on People needs upgrade

Seattle, WA

ProsGreat health benefits, competitive salaries and very generous paid time off.

ConsWith all the recent cuts over the last 2 years, difficult to take vacations in some areas due to too much work and not enough back-up support. However, leadership seems to be able to still take time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the people you have left a lot more or you'll keep losing the best and brightest. Be much more thoughtful with reductions - retain the talent! We're doing so much more work with little to no training of the new work we're taking on. Reassess the people you have left and fairly compensate them for all the new work their doing. Example: In my department alone, after 3 people were laid off, I took on their work plus my own (with extremely limited training). I just keep treading water, hoping it will get better, but it's been almost a year of this. My new boss has only asked me how I was doing once in the last 9 months since I started reporting to her. After 12 loyal, hard working years (10 of it really satisfying with great people to work with and for), the last 2 years has left me worn out and dusting off my resume'.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good Company

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Tukwila, WA

ProsHealth Benefits and paid time off are great.

ConsManagement shows favoritism. Growth is based on who you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive hard working staff growth for opportunity.

Worked for Group Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Group Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Group Health CEO Scott Armstrong. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by Group Health employees.