Group Health Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

2.5

Group Health CEO Scott Armstrong
Scott Armstrong

Great company, discombobulated management.

Former Employee - Analyst III  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Analyst III in Seattle, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I loved working for a company that had great ideals, great benefits, and really nice people.

Cons

A lot of the management at HQ stayed way past their expiration date, reinforcing stale processes because 'change is scary'. New management faced obstacles from a deeply entrenched old-school system, which ensured anything that needed to get done would take twice as long as it should.

If you've been there for longer than 20 years, it's time to go. You're drowning the company with your ennui and fear of change.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Medical Technologist  in  Olympia, WA
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Olympia, WA

I have been working at Group Health part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Value focused work environment and diversity

Cons

Employment is based on customer enrollment

None

A company with a great mission and true interest in providing better health care, yet struggles running as a business.

I have been working at Group Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In comparison to other companies, top-rated for health care and time-off benefits. The workforce (usually non-union) are dedicated to the mission and continuously try to make improvements in optimizing the patient experience.

Cons

The union environment for certain professions of the company has created a stagnet workforce that only does what is minimally required in working as team players and providing health care to patients.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learning experience

I worked at Group Health full-time

Pros

Benefits, pay, PTO, work life

Cons

leadership, training, growth, policies, communication

This was a great place to work until 3 years ago

Current Employee - Pharmacist  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Group Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work/life balance - rarely more than 40hrs/week
    Fair compensation - not the highest rate, but definitely not the lowest

Cons

Restructure, restructure, restructure- I've had more managers (come/go) then the number of years I have worked for the company
    Less to do more- less people to serve more patients
    Horrible insurance for employees - I pay 2-3 times for more an Rx than most of my patients, high premium and deductible (considering I work for the insurer) and can only see GH doctors
    Archaic technology - we have Epic, but still use software from the 1970's for most services in Lab and Pharmacy

Thin out the management situation- we have so many in upper management that the average employee doesn't even know what they do or are responsible for
    Staffing- this is healthcare and constantly being understaffed is causing an unsafe and stressful environment for patients and staff

Great front-line workers and managers, awful senior leadership who are running the company into the ground.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Group Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The vision of the medical staff and front-line workers is truly inspiring. The benefits and salary are great.

Cons

Senior leadership has run the company into the ground, and try to resolve the problem by laying off and rearranging lower-level leaders and the front line staff who actually do the work. The CEO and all VPs and the Board need to go or the company is going to go under. The senior leadership is dishonest, interested in protecting themselves only, and willing to do anything to get personally ahead. I have worked directly with many of them and find it difficult to be proud of my company when the upper level leadership has so little integrity. It's a shame, because the majority of the workers are solid and dedicated, but until there is upper-level change the company will not improve. When they do bring in new senior leaders, they bring in those with little experience who are easily swayed and follow the instructions of the entrenched senior leadership. I would not suggest anyone work here at this time.

It's time for change at Group Health. And I don't mean laying off and rearranging the front-line staff, providers who actually see patients, or front-line managers. Get rid of 2/3 of the VPs, the CEO who has literally destroyed the company, and the Board who clearly won't step in no matter how bad things get. The Board has trusted in the wrong people and seem unable or unwilling to take any action to make actual change.

It was good once.....

Current Employee - Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Group Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Strong work ethics in our department produce good quality work. Our employees are collaborative and have worked hard to accomplish the goals we set for ourselves. For that we are recognized with good pay and decent benefits.

Cons

Wow where do you start with executive leadership. It currently feels like we are on a sinking ship. The last several years have been nothing but redesign, reorganization and layoffs. Rinse and repeat with no concept of how the work is going to get done. Now we have leaders with fancy titles attempting to get "creative" and "innovative".

It's understandable that there are times when reduction is necessary. Stop with the hack and slash mentality and put some strategic thought into approaching staff reductions and reorganization. Bad decision makers make for bad decisions. It's time to take a look at the upper most leaders including the captain of this ship. You are going to continue to lose you most talented individuals, the only ones keeping this vessel afloat.

This isn't the same company I started with

Current Employee - Patient Access Representative  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Group Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A paycheck. Some benefits. My coworkers and my patients. "Being there" for people when they need me! Some good ideas regarding healthcare.

Cons

Leadership problems; certification valued over experience; micro-management and bullying tactics; employees treated as "cogs" in the corporate machine

Your employees are NOT cogs. Some of this work is specialized, and you need to understand it before "just making a change" for change's sake and because it's cheaper. Please listen to your people instead of pretending to - gallup polls don't change things. This company is changing into the very thing it was created to NOT be. You have rescinded the benefits that you promised to many of us and have then told us that we should feel lucky. You have turned your backs on the union employees that were fundamental in building and maintaining this company; you have valued those people with degrees and no experience over those who have worked hard within the organization, gained valuable experience, and who have no degrees. I see a lot of talk about Customer Service, without seeing it actually supported by management or "the rules"

Not what it used to be

Current Employee - Medical Professional  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Medical Professional in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Group Health part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some nice people. Hard working. Experienced with many varying backgrounds. Trying to adjust to changing expectations. Most trying hard to do a good job.

Cons

Over diligent monitoring and evaluation of everything you do. Have cut so much staff that vacation is denied. Feel like you are always walking a tightrope. Rumor mills and gossip. Hiring freeze.

Job Fine, Co-workers Great, Management Needs Re-training

I worked at Group Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

My department was downsized, and our jobs outsourced, but the people I worked with at the different places were great! We helped each other out as much as possible, and patient care was our primary focus. If I had a chance to work with my co-workers again, I'd be there for them in a heartbeat.

Cons

Mid and upper-level management began focusing on things that were not in the best interest of the organization, or our patients, several years ago. By the time I was laid off, morale was very low, and I felt sorry for the people still employed there.

Actually listen to your employees, take their advice, and let them contribute to the organization's goals. They are the backbone of the company, and should be treated with respect.

Worked for Group Health? Contribute to the Community!