Group Health Reviews

Reset
2.7
Group Health CEO Scott Armstrong
Scott Armstrong

Pros
  • Good work/life balance - rarely more than 40hrs/week (in 14 reviews)

• Group health offers great benefits (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • This was widely known and nothing was done about it by upper management (in 8 reviews)

• Executive Leadership has been doing a terrible job of containing costs the past 3-5 years (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Group Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for here for 17 years and have had the opportunity to develop and grow into progressively higher positions as a result of the breadth and depth of health care management opportunities at Group Health

Cons

Health care is ever changing, so one has to be flexible and adaptable to constant change. If you are, then you will thrive here.

Advice to Management

Continue to innovate and transform health care

Group Health Response

Jul 6, 2015Human Resources Team

Thanks for sharing this feedback with us. We truly appreciate it. It's wonderful to hear from team members and leaders, such as yourself, who have been with us for many years and still continue to ... More

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Group Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good benefits, genuinely caring people work here, long community history. Multiple locations and departments around the state give many options for growth and trying new jobs.

Cons

Constant reorganization, follow-through on projects is not consistent. There has been a history of investing in new tools that is scrapped after significant investment has already been made. I am not confident that leadership has a good plan for the future except to keep doing what they've been doing.

Advice to Management

You have lofty goals and no real way to achieve them. You need to find a good, safe way for staff to give Honest feedback without feeling nervous. Then, listen to that feedback and use it to form a new plan.

Completely unorganized and disconnected

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I could find

Cons

Stayed there for 2 hours before I decided it wasn't for me.
    - Given OLD (filthy) PC hardware to work on and was told to 'make do'
    - Schedule changed from what was agreed upon during interview (bait and switch)
    - Moral is VERY low - several people were openly updating their resume's on their work computers
    - Was told I would be crash trained and be doing my full job in less than a week - was told in interview I would have my own time to get comfortable in my position before I was on my own
    - Was not offered to let me set up all my HR stuff online at all (which I was advised to do asap) because when I arrived, there was no hardware on my desk (even through they had 3 weeks from when they offered me the job and I started working to gather hardware and get it set up)

After two hours there, I felt that I would not fit in with the constant negativity that everyone was projecting, nor could I feel "good" about my job. I was honest and told my manager how I felt and what I saw/heard. I then left.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent as to what type of person you are searching for, during your interview. Need to get the teams moral up before bringing in someone new.

Tough

I have been working at Group Health

Pros

Benefits, core group that believe in providing the best patient care possible despite unstable environment

Cons

Constant management reorganization, lack of employee support, favoritism to blind followers. Promotions to management with no education for the position. Ever changing job description through management "interpretation". Currently being managed by a manipulating bully that loves to get to get even if you. Will throw under the bus if they see fit. Get everything in writing no verbals. Management is the only job that can retain their job not the employees providing patient care.

LPN - Team lead

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Group Health

Pros

I have worked at GHC for 11 years off and on in a variety of positions. Initially it was a wonderful place. Management was involved, compassionate, and actually cared about those "beneath" them. The benefits were fantastic, the staff was valued, and I was provided a job description.

Cons

In the last two years management has declined to some of the lowest levels I've ever seen. There is no compassion, no regard for employee's or their peace of mind, and the only concern there really is for patient care is whether or not we cover enough points of care to get five stars from Medicare since they're our biggest "fish". The patients are not people, they are numbers with checkbooks. The staff are not people, they are there to punch a clock, provide a service, and are to leave their ethics at the door. And one better not complain or voice concerns about the poor training, or the fact that a lot of the support staff still work while off the clock because they/we will get seriously in trouble for a single minute of overtime.

Advice to Management

Either find your soul or get a new job in the corrections industry.

Analyst

I worked at Group Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, ability to telecommute

Cons

To save money, people are being laid off left and right. No consideration for real hard workers. Many of those left do mediocre work. Why is senior management not accountable for losses and mistakes? They don't see nor listen to what's really happening down below. A lot of people work hard, but this seems useless at times. Morale is very low.

Advice to Management

It's about time to change senior management, from the top going down!

Disconnection

Former Employee - Patient Financial Services in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Patient Financial Services in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible schedule depending on department.

Cons

There's lack of respect and a disconnect between upper management and the employees.
    If bad decisions are made that costs the company thousands and thousands of dollars the cuts are made by reducing benefits, freezing wages, ect.

Advice to Management

The more employees are valued will reflect in attitude and performance.

What a mess

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Group Health (Less than a year)

Pros

The company really cares about the members and the healthcare industry as a whole.

Cons

They are just a mess constantly changing, upper management does not know what they are doing and middle management is constantly running around trying to do something. They are so far behind the market it is a surprise they stay in business.

Advice to Management

They really need to get a clear understanding what is going on there.

Group Health Response

Jun 30, 2015Human Resources Team

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It's valuable and we appreciate the time you took to share it. It is true that we are undergoing a great deal of change along with many other healh care ... More

A Big Complicated Mess

Former Employee - Manager in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Group Health (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was good, benefits were good.

Cons

Bullying behavior and stressful work environment.

Advice to Management

I don't have the magic answer to management, but I do know that change comes from the top down. All I can do is explain my situation, and I guess, at a minimum, advise management to hire people with both brains and compassion. Quit the stressful pressure cooker they put on people so that they don't have such personality or personnel issues. I could go into many details of things I felt they did wrong. After almost 20 years of working there, working hard with good and successful accomplishments, I was bullied by another manager, fairly new to the coop who was angry that I was promoted for a job she applied for. I endured two years of hell with her manipulating staff both above and below her (and I) directed at me. I finally left through mutual agreement with Group Health, but they viewed it as a mutual personality conflict, which was not. I was flat out adult bullied. The environment is paranoid and stressful. I think that work can be challenging, exciting, and beneficial to both the employee and the company, but this place really is a pressure cooker. So....I guess my advice to management would be to not overload your managers,as well as doctors and nurses and really pay attention to what is going on. I say doctors and nurses because I have noticed that there is a high turnover, as I've had three primary care physicians leave within the last two years. The third one I was assigned left before I even met her. The specialists that I've been assigned to are very rude snappy and intimidating. I have to attribute this to overload or someone not paying attention. Perhaps they can't retain good compassionate physicians due to the environment?

Room for improvement

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was good at the beginning, supervisors and leads seemed to care about what the reps wanted.

Cons

After management changes, everything has gone downhill. They lose employee after employee, and not replacing them.

RSS Feed </> Embed