Group Publishing

Group Publishing Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Group Publishing CEO Thom Schultz

Thom Schultz

Long time employee, I like the place

I have been working at Group Publishing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHands down it's the culture and people. I've had work experience in a variety of settings and this is one where there is an intentional corporate effort to value and celebrate people. I've yet to see a screaming match or an underhanded supervisor survive long-term. People are vetted well during the hiring process and that is reflected in a staff that's hard-working, positive, and productive. I am able to do my best work here and it's appreciated.

ConsTraditional publishing is in trouble--bookstores are closing daily and publishers are following in their wake. If you're looking for a long-term career in publishing you might want to reconsider. But if this is for you, Group is sufficiently diversified that its weathering the market shifts better than most...though staff are being pushed to do more with less. That's simply the reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to value work/life balance: either expect less or ramp up staffing.

Awesome Culture

Managing Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Group Publishing full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe culture at Group is amazing! I can't think of one single co-worker I don't really like. Everyone is very friendly and the team works well together to produce great products. Group values integrity, innovation, excellence, and direct communication. And they don't just SAY that's the value...they actually live out those things in practice. Group's leadership team is incredibly wise and good at making strategic decisions. I trust where the company is headed, and it's exciting to be a part of it. Going to a job every day where I feel like I have a sense of purpose and an important role to play is really special to me, and I'm thankful I have that opportunity at Group...and that I can have fun doing it!!!

ConsSometimes the pace of work can be a bit much. Because it is a small company, the insurance benefits aren't as good as larger companies are able to offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it is hard for the "visionaries" to understand all the details it will take (and therefore time and energy) to pull of a project. The phrase, "Oh it's just..." gets used a lot and can really take for granted all the work that will go into something. I'd like to see the management work to get more feedback about what work will need to go into a product before making the decision to put it on the existing staff. That said, I've been seeing Group start shifting more that way, so keep doing it!

Really good people. Good old boys leadership.

I have been working at Group Publishing full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWe work with good, supportive, helpful and caring people.
The office environment is nice and clean.
We have good products that help churches support their mission.

ConsPay is below other company pay for similar positions and we have only had a 1% pay increase across the board one time in the last five years or so.
The top leaders are the only ones that opinions are valued. There is a group of top leaders that do not seem to be held accountable to professionalism and hitting their numbers and they keep their jobs. Some even get their unqualified family members hired in top roles.
The company says they have an open door policy and even invite us into small meetings to provide the top managers feedback only for this information to go directly back to the supervisors of our area and get in trouble when we thought we were being helpful in a confidential setting.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will lose good employees with your attitude that all lower employees are expendable and we don't deserve raises. We have learned over time that we need to be a good soldier and keep our heads down and not have an opinion. We don't have opinions anymore which makes all the company ideas the ideas of the top few (most that have only worked in this company).

Great Company with a great mission.

I worked at Group Publishing full-time

ProsAwesome work environment. Great community to live in and raise a family.

Conscan be clinical, and stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluations can't only be from a spreadsheet. Build relationships with employees, and it will pay off.

One of the best company cultures I have ever seen

I have been working at Group Publishing full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAfter seeing a couple negative reviews come through about the company I know and have loved, I felt compelled to write a review as I would swear that this is either one person writing different reviews and/or their experience is isolated.

We have a great time working together at Group and work hard to make amazing things happen every day. We get to hear transformational stories from churches all over the world that reaffirm how our products and people made a difference in the lives of kids and adults.

Bottom line, you can create your own reality here at Group. We believe in accountability and responsibility, which means you are expected to speak up and be a part of the solution, rather than venting anonymously.

Don't take my word for it. With today's social networking tools like LinkedIn and Facebook, you have access to a number of staff members that work for Group. Ask any of us. We'll tell you the truth, and I bet it paints a much different picture than what you read in these negative rants. By the way, Group has an exceptionally high number of "Boomerangers," which are people who leave Group to go to another company and return. Most often, the boomerangs refer to the culture and that they lost sight of how good they had it at Group.

ConsWhen it comes to having problems, Group is no different than any other company in that we too have problems that need solving. The difference though is that we solve things much differently than other companies. The leadership is quick to involve front line staff to figure it out. Some problems take longer than others to figure out, but such is life.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ever lose the fun and whimsy that helped to create Group into what it is today. Whether it be dressing up in costumes, throwing the random parking lot parties, or even pranks...yep we do that here too. We love you for that as it makes you real people to us that also shows you laugh, have fun and work hard too. Keep it up. That's a big part of the culture that makes this so fun!!!

Great place to work!

I have been working at Group Publishing full-time

ProsGroup is a fun and energetic place! I really enjoy the employees from my coworkers to leadership. I also like the fact that we are not just segmented to work in our own area but can connect with teams from other areas to accomplish goals. The work standards are high but I am glad that I am allowed flexibility in my hours when needed.

ConsI understand the need for meetings but wish at times there were a little less of them.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate Group's vision/direction and to develop employees.

Media company with challenges.

I worked at Group Publishing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company has legacy programs in place for employees. Opportunities for less experienced people. Does great things for many.

ConsStruggling to succeed...in the world of digital free content.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct faster.

Deceitful; leadership club and hr after their own selfish gain despite greater good speech

I worked at Group Publishing full-time

ProsConnections with co-workers (those who are not themselves deceived) and the original company goals are meaningful.

ConsDespite what happens "behind the curtain", you are doing a wealth of good for churches, their groups and individuals. Great benefits and work/personal life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've witnessed many mid-level managers stoop to the deceitful level of execs over a short period of time. If one can transform that quickly and with ease, then their core was sour, wishy-washy to begin with. There's no advice for that type of person. I suppose the company is recruiting the "right" fit.

Terrible company look some where else

I have been working at Group Publishing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCo workers are the best here to work with.

ConsNo advancement, no raises, no training. Say they have open door policy not so, not if you want to keep your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote offer training to your employees

Extremely frustrating and very difficult

I worked at Group Publishing full-time

ProsThe employees are great! They are very friendly and helpful. Supervisors work with you when you need time off.

ConsHeavy workload. Not enough time in the day to complete tasks. Almost always took work home at night and on week-ends. Poor communication between supervisor and upper management, which can make your job difficult. Too many meetings and they are usually very lengthy. Approval process is long and complicated. High employee turnover rate. Very little training was provided, so you are on your own. The lack of training and direction made it extremely stressful, difficult and frustrating. Make sure you are provided an in-depth job description before you ever walk in the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your employees are given the proper training and guidance in every position. Please listen to your employees, not just your managers. Hire more employees so the workload is not so heavy. There are a lot of employees that have been at Group for many years and remain fearful for their job. There is something wrong with that picture.

Worked for Group Publishing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Group Publishing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Group Publishing CEO Thom Schultz. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Group Publishing employees.