GroupM

Updated December 16, 2014
3.1

GroupM Global President Dominic Proctor
Dominic Proctor

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and fun atmosphere to work in on a day-to-day basis (in 6 reviews)

• relexed working environment help people to release stress (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to get away from work, work/life balance needs to be better respected (in 9 reviews)

• There doesn't seem to be much room for growth because it all depends on the company's business standing each year (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

GroupM Media Buying

I have been working at GroupM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work/life balance and fun atmosphere to work in on a day-to-day basis.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be much room for growth because it all depends on the company's business standing each year.

Wonderful

Current Employee - Assistant Broadcast Negotiator in New York, NY

I have been working at GroupM

Pros

Great hours (9-5), lovely people

Cons

Training process was not structured.

none

Information Technology - Helpdesk Analyst

Current Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at GroupM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment, lots of technology to work with but everything is being moved off to the cloud.
    Hours are good and vacation flexible.

Cons

No room for growth. No training provided.

Feel EXPLOITED

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at GroupM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I can't think of anything. I guess most of the bottom layer co-workers were nice because they were all in the same class.

Cons

Just don't risk your life and career to come here. I guess if you are able to get a job from groupm, you are pretty much qualified for a job in any other agencies as well, even groupm's own agencies would be better, just try someplace else, there're plenty of them out there.

Typical Corporate 9-6

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at GroupM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job Security and decent vacation / sick days. Summer Fry Days.

Cons

No inspiration because everyone is miserable and vapid

Put more faith in your soldiers and let them do some of the work that involves more than pressing buttons

Financial Associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at GroupM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are amazing, great learning experience. Networking with different vendors was great.

Cons

The pay is low & the lunch break is short.

They need to take time and out and train people.

Great People, No Growth Opportunity, Poor Salary

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at GroupM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite part about working at GroupM were the people. They became like family.

Cons

The don't pay well at all. You can work as hard as you want, come in early and leave late, and it won't matter. Tere also is not much growth opportunity depending on who you're working under.

Take care of those on your team, even those at the bottom of the list.

HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE

I have been working at GroupM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't think of one pro.... Free ice cream in the freezer?

Cons

I've never written a review here, but after this job I really feel like I need to.

Where do I begin? I worked for GroupM, but specifically their subdivision group METAVISION MEDIA. My one piece of advice is DONT WORK HERE.

It's a small division/group of people (maybe 60 people on the floor?) I was an assistant planner there thinking it would be a real stepping stone for a media career. WRONG. There is no room for growth and the pay was completely and utterly underpaid [33k and after taxes and benefits (which weren't impressive] even less, I was making $980 every two weeks... I've worked part time jobs that pay more...)

If the pay didn't turn you off already, read on.

This place is like being in high school. If you weren't in one of their cliques, you got dirty looks, gossiped about, and overall rude attitudes . I for one have never worked at a place this immature and unprofessional.

On top of that, my team and managers were on these power trips. They would sit u in a conference room and quiz you (more like harass you) on material you weren't briefed on then would yell at you for not being "prepared". Ummmmm last time i checked I wasn't pledging for a sorority? Because that's what it felt like every day.

Again with the managers: they have been At the job for a year so they got promoted to a manager level and assistants were hired to work under them (I.e me). Therefore, these are KIDS who have had no other management experience who have no clue how to lead and manage another individual. I was in a constant cloud of confusion because no one would explain anything or would answer your questions with a "well you can find an answer in this random file found on the computer".... Uh ok. They would then proceed to condescendingly "tell" you that it's not ok to not have questions 24/7..... Didn't make any sense.

After leaving the job for a better paying job at a more prestigious company, they still talk bad about me (my colleague still works there and tells me, she hates working their too). My last day their they didn't invite me to any meetings and gave me the cold shoulder all day and were totally aloof when I tried to be professional and say goodbye.

In terms of work/life ratio? Be prepared to work late and "cancel any and all plans u may have for the week."

Also, you don't get an assigned desk. U literally have a locker where u put ur lap top in at the end of the day. Apparently they call this "hot desking" but it sounds to me just a hipster way of being cheap and not giving employees an assigned work station. Therefore, every Monday morning you feel like your in the lunch room trying to find a welcoming place to sit... Again back to the clique thing.

In summation: FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE TO WORK.

This is only scratching the surface of how bad this place was.

Be more understanding of a new hires learning curve and take Into consideration how they personally learn the best (visually, written etc)

assistant media buyer

I have been working at GroupM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good first job, great hours and vacation days.

Cons

rude women, no organization to the department, no raise after a year, no room for growth unless you are there forever.

Terrible Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GroupM full-time

Pros

Generous holiday schedule, personal days and summer Fridays

Cons

When I see so many new hires immediately regret their decisions, I think it would be good if you know a few things before you accept the offer, at lease you know what you are really getting into. Because with GroupM, except holiday schedule, everything is so wrong!

- Very very low pay. Zero bonus, zero year over year base salary increase. Other benefit is below average.
    - No work/life balance. With less than 50% of investment banking pay, they expect you to work investment banking hours. Project leader show no respect to your personal off work schedule. They give you no advanced notice for over time request, and if you inform them that you cannot stay tonight, they will give you that look.
    - Terrible terrible project management. 90% of over time working is because of the two. One, project leaders promise client 2 days for 2 months work. Two, project leaders have no ideas of what they are doing. They always find out that they have lead the team to a totally wrong direction when the initially work has been 80% done. And then, everyone has to start over with a very tight delivery timeline.
    - Project leaders take everything for granted. They never appreciate your hard work nor promote you. The only thing all the project leaders are excellent with is taking your hard work and the credit your earned for their own. They will not even mention your name!
    - No career opportunities. No one cares about your career. No training, mentor, nothing. If you are assigned to a big project, you will be stuck in that project till either you quit or the project dies. There is no chance to change projects or work on something different.

DO NOT come to this company unless you absolutely have to.

If every analyst, including 90% managers, is leaving after a year (some even within a year), and those who could not leave because they have not landed a new job feel that they are losers, there must be something seriously wrong with your current structure.