Groupon

www.groupon.com

Groupon Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Eric Lefkofsky

Pros
  • Young work environment, No dress code, free gatorade(in 46 reviews)

• Very laid back work environment with young and fun coworkers(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Hardly much work life balance and you feel guilty if you're not on-site(in 16 reviews)

• Lack of direction from upper-management, managers and supervisors are unqualified(in 27 reviews)

Not so good comany

ProsUnlimited vocation, latest technology, very competitive salary and a lot of challenging things to do

ConsManagement is totally disaster, a lot of churns. Not very nice colleague. Nearly everything is disorganized. Everyday's life is hasty.

Lots of stick with no carrot

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMotivated salesforce
    AYCD vitamin water/coke products

Cons-Lack of transparency b/w upper management and SF
    -extreme micromanagement (unless you're in the top 7% of company)
    -extremely high activity goals
    -stay let policies always in place ie if you don't close a contract you stay late
    - mgmt. has no pulse on the SF
    -has turned into a call center, lacks creativity
    -no streamline way to progress career
    -sense of dread

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand what motivates your employees and treat them with value vs just another cog in the wheel of Groupon. Used to be a fun environment, now the majority of people don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Unless you enjoy being a telemarketer, I would recommend seeking other opportunities than Sales at Groupon.

Account Exec

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCasual work environment. Good pay if you close top business. Work life balance is decent depending on what market you work on, and what time zone you work in if you are in Inside Sales.

ConsLot of red tape and inefficiencies in the lead-distribution system/CRM. Leads and prospects for new hires can be undesirable. More intense focus on micromanaging activity.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up the CRM and focus on actual results- not activity.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inside sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunities for growth, high pay

ConsWeak leadership, constant shifting of managers, few mentors

Young company and you can tell.

ProsFun, young environment.
    Everyone works hard.
    Lax vacation policy.
    Starting salary was good.

ConsThings change very quickly, and it's usually communicated very poorly or not at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally listen to ALL of your teams. There is a bit of an unspoken hierarchy at times.

Pretty good

ProsGood amount of things to learn

ConsMissing some structure or process

Great people, not great money

ProsThe people, for sure. These are life-long friends.

ConsIf you're straight out of college and have been here for a while, don't expect much of a salary bump. You have to go elsewhere.

It's Just Ok...

Inside Sales (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCulture
    Dress Code (lack thereof)
    Free Vitamin Water, Coffee and Juice

ConsHigh Pressure Sales Goals
    No Job Security
    Lack of Communication
    Management Very tight night
    Hard to move to another department
    No room for growth unless you want to move to another "Region" of sales

Advice to Senior ManagementBe Honest, Be understanding and Be helful

Was treated great as a temp

Customer Service Representative - Temporary (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people are hilarious, most are actors/comedians. It was so laid back. Was not strict which made you want to work hard for them. They provided vitamin waters, tea, coffee, bottled water, pop and any other drink you could think of. They had a really cool break room with a juke box. You could wear whatever you wanted. Employees VERY helpful.

Conscommunication with temps was not always there. there were tons of folks to keep up with though so all in all they did a pretty good job.

Groupon Employer Representative responded to this review

Jun 23, 2014

Thanks for the review. We're glad to hear that you were treated well as a temp in our Customer Service department!

Senior Account Executive

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNo dress code, unlimited paid vacation days. Very laid back atmosphere.

ConsBasically they started hiring 25 yr olds to become district managers Who mostly promoted and moved their "friends" to better territories. Very much like a college atmosphere, as others have stated.
    I understand that change is inevitable, but something literally changed at least every week. Goals increased dramatically with no explanation, micromanaged, good place to work if you're straight out of college but only if you absolutely can't find anything else. otherwise not a good career move.
    An example of how terrible this place is: I exceeded my yearly target and was promoted to Senior Account Executive because of it, yet while I'm on a one on one with my manager and he's congratulating me and telling me the great news he also gives me a written warning for not meeting that months goal..... During the same meeting. A promotion and a written warning in the same sitting. Made no sense!
    Worst place to work unless you don't care about your career and just can't let go of your college years. Plus, who even buys Groupons anymore?

Worked for Groupon? Contribute to the Community!