Groupon

www.groupon.com

Groupon Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Eric Lefkofsky

Pros
  • Young work environment, No dress code, free gatorade(in 47 reviews)

• Very laid back work environment with young and fun coworkers(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Hardly much work life balance and you feel guilty if you're not on-site(in 16 reviews)

• Lack of direction from upper-management, managers and supervisors are unqualified(in 28 reviews)

Groupon treats it's employees like robots

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThis was an opportunity for a great learning experience. There was a lot of freedom and abilities to make money early on.

ConsAs the company grew, the sales leaderships value of employees became non existent. "Everyone is replaceable" mentality

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow and retain your top talent. Your best asset are your people.

Account Manager at Groupon

Account Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Great Culture and worked with some fantastic hard-working individuals.
    - Management really listens to associate feedback when implementing new products and internal/external processes.

Cons-Wish there was more transparency about internal issues
    -Also the work-life balance could have been a lot better, many associates work around the clock for their merchants

Has become a corporate machine

ProsWork from home, the compensation use to be great, but that's been gone for some time. Unlimited time off, yet there is so much pressure to perform you feel guilty for even thinking about a day off.

ConsNo clear vision from upper management, constant change, but never "good" change, constant fire drills, constant management changes. People are not people, they are what the produce, and they will get rid of you in a heart-beat, they have zero soul, it's all about shareholder and the bottom-line. Yet there is a "fun" atmosphere, but it's a facade, it's not real. People are over-worked, and for the most part, the people who work here are stressed out and fairly rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on people and not profit. If you do this, more than likely your profit will increase.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learned so many things from the company

Account Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOffice culture is great, there are fantastic people working here and it makes it fun to come in and do your job.

ConsSometimes there isn't always a clear vision.
    Leadership isn't great at staying transparent with where the company is going.
    Mid-level management doesn't have a ton of ability to help people advance in there career.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild out career development, consider stipends for education and a clearer track of where you can go.

Decent company

ProsFlexible work environment. Flat hierarchy. Cool place

ConsAd hoc processes. Need more structure for release etc. Many production issues

Fun, meet a lot of smart people - can be frustrating at times though

Inventory Management Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEnjoy going to work everyday. I've never dreaded the workweek. That's a huge plus. There is room for advancement if you work for it - most people are in a sales role and they just assume that there is no career growth but I have seen plenty of people work hard and move on. The company is still very young and has a lot of room for growth so there is opportunities to make your ideas come to life. I personally enjoy seeing all the moving parts working around me as there are not many companies in Chicago that grew so big so fast - and now we are in that period of adjustment to make all our investments, tools, and acquisitions merge into one big machine. While frustrating at times, I think in the long run it will good experience for many people to use later on in life when they take on larger job responsibility or even start their own companies.

ConsManagement is super frustrating. I really like the long term vision of the company that the CEO has, but sales management is so short term focused and I think it really affects the morale of the sales force at times. Things change all the time here....they change bonus and commission plans all of the time because I guess they just can't seem to get it right. I wish sales management would be more active in the day to day stuff that the sales reps go through. It seems that they just look at numbers all day and say "do this, do that", when they really need to realize that every single merchant we are working with has a different personality and different needs and desires. Managers are in meetings all day doing god knows what. Please be more involved with your teams and your salesforce - it will really pay off immensely!

Advice to Senior ManagementLike I said above - sales management - DSMs, RSDs, RVPs, and even the head of sales - please be more active on the sales floor with the reps who are doing the dirty work - using data is great in some cases but this is a marketing and advertising company and you need to let us trust our gut and instinct more rather than rely solely on fuzzy algorithms to tell us what to do. The systems that we are putting in place seem all nice and pretty from a birds eye view but when you really are on the ground floor seeing the "computers doing the work", you will get a much better understanding of how flawed and raw the systems are right now. Also - stop hiring good sales reps into manager roles. Being good at sales does not automatically make you a good manager. Be more diligent in the hiring process (novel idea - maybe someone who is not a sales rep can step in and be a DSM?).

abusive and unfair treatment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosscrappy but corporate environment at the same time. it can be fun. not shy about partaking in beer and specialty cocktails in the afternoons, they allow pets in the office.

Consconstant power-struggles among management and departments, several managers have extremely poor management skills. pay is on the low end of the spectrum, it's a struggle to get appropriate headcount for teams and many employees are overworked.

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement development programs

Account Executive

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOffice culture was great. Co-workers push themselves. Can make good money working in larger cites. Have a great cafe to get food in as well. Great training as well, it is on going

ConsComp plans usually change about twice a year. Not a lot of career growth in sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont penalize the good workers that hit goals when the lazy workers dont.

Great place to work

Proscompensation, time-off policies, flexible work hours, people are great.

Consbig company with normal big company bureaucracy

Account Executive

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsNot much considering the cons

ConsEverything. The write you up and change sales goals all the time. It's a horrible controlling environment

Worked for Groupon? Contribute to the Community!