Groupon
www.groupon.com Chicago, IL 5000+ Employees

Groupon Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Eric Lefkofsky

Pros:
  • "Young work environment, No dress code, free gatorade"
    in 41 reviews
  • "Casual work environment, great people, unlimited vacation"
    in 38 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hardly much work life balance and you feel guilty if you're not on-site"
    in 14 reviews
  • "People are forced to work long hours because everyone is over worked"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fun, meet a lot of smart people - can be frustrating at times though

Inventory Management Analyst (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsEnjoy going to work everyday. I've never dreaded the workweek. That's a huge plus. There is room for advancement if you work for it - most people are in a sales role and they just assume that there is no career growth but I have seen plenty of people work hard and move on. The company is still very young and has a lot of room for growth so there is opportunities to make your ideas come to life. I personally enjoy seeing all the moving parts working around me as there are not many companies in Chicago that grew so big so fast - and now we are in that period of adjustment to make all our investments, tools, and acquisitions merge into one big machine. While frustrating at times, I think in the long run it will good experience for many people to use later on in life when they take on larger job responsibility or even start their own companies.

ConsManagement is super frustrating. I really like the long term vision of the company that the CEO has, but sales management is so short term focused and I think it really affects the morale of the sales force at times. Things change all the time here....they change bonus and commission plans all of the time because I guess they just can't seem to get it right. I wish sales management would be more active in the day to day stuff that the sales reps go through. It seems that they just look at numbers all day and say "do this, do that", when they really need to realize that every single merchant we are working with has a different personality and different needs and desires. Managers are in meetings all day doing god knows what. Please be more involved with your teams and your salesforce - it will really pay off immensely!

Advice to Senior ManagementLike I said above - sales management - DSMs, RSDs, RVPs, and even the head of sales - please be more active on the sales floor with the reps who are doing the dirty work - using data is great in some cases but this is a marketing and advertising company and you need to let us trust our gut and instinct more rather than rely solely on fuzzy algorithms to tell us what to do. The systems that we are putting in place seem all nice and pretty from a birds eye view but when you really are on the ground floor seeing the "computers doing the work", you will get a much better understanding of how flawed and raw the systems are right now. Also - stop hiring good sales reps into manager roles. Being good at sales does not automatically make you a good manager. Be more diligent in the hiring process (novel idea - maybe someone who is not a sales rep can step in and be a DSM?).

Account Executive

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsOffice culture was great. Co-workers push themselves. Can make good money working in larger cites. Have a great cafe to get food in as well. Great training as well, it is on going

ConsComp plans usually change about twice a year. Not a lot of career growth in sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont penalize the good workers that hit goals when the lazy workers dont.

A mind-blowing introduction into the startup space.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsA great place to begin your career. You get to experience a startup like atmosphere at an established company (so your not in someone's garage). Excellent health benefits, mediocre retirement benefits, and a decent salary.

ConsConstant churn at the management level. Instead of moving up the ladder there are constant layers of management created above you, making it difficult to get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally focus on improving internal promotions, after two years you literally force your excellent employees to seek work outside just to get that big pay raise.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsYou will learn a lot of skills that maybe helpful for you start your idea

Conslife work balance is not good.
    companies is kinda mean.
    no PTO.
    usually ask for working over time.

Senior Account Executive

ProsThe dress code is nice. Account Managers are good.

ConsEverything. This company makes me sick to the stomach. They way they treat their employees who have done great work over the course of a year, met goals, and always stayed the course. One bad month, they want to can you. Unreal expectations. They place a manager that is young twenties who hasn't managed anyone and expects people to respect them. They never met her goals most months and now she is managing people...really!!!! Now they are micro-managing their great reps, who will eventually leave. This company is ridiculous to say the least. I can not believe I have wasted an entire year with this bunch of people. It's not about the merchant any more, it's about Groupon's bottom line and what they are making. They turn great deals away, yet again, 20 year olds managing those decisions as well. Seriously, a sucky place to work. Don't waste your time, because no matter how many months you make goal, let one month go that you don't and you are in the hopper to get canned. Trust and believe!!

Great experience and significant ability to have impact, particularly for young 20-somethings.

ProsLots of flexibility, autonomy to pursue projects of interest. Generally very smart, competent peers. Managers / HR invested in your experience and tend to care about providing opportunities for upward mobility. Unlimited vacations. Young company with great people that you can connect with.

ConsExtremely fast paced environment, sometimes a lot of fire drills and pressure to work with tight deadlines

Worst work environment

Account Representative (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsYou might meet a couple interesting people who are going through the same struggles as you by working for Groupon, so you might end up with a few new friends.

ConsCertain departments are run by bratty kids that don't value hard work or how much overtime you put in. You are expected to be available at all times, including nights and weekends. They don't care how mistreated you will be by certain clients they do business with, or by the lack of breaks they give you during the day (eat your lunch super fast and limit how many times you use the restroom). There is no room for promotions even though they will keep adding on to your work at the same salary. Certain managers are incredibly rude and will yell and cuss at you for petty reasons. Starting salary is the lowest I have encountered in this industry and extra perks are only available if you work in the Chicago office. Office culture reminds me a lot of high school, full of cliques and bullies.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people that actually understand how to provide even basic HR practices, get involved with every department to see what really goes on and stop hiring managers based on friendship. If you want to keep your employees, adjust the salaries to meet industry standards and stop expecting them to be available 24/7.

Fancy open source technique, nothing deep

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsMore like a startup, lots of popular technique.

ConsNot much growth potential.

Awesome Company to Work for

Inbound Relationship Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsOffice Culture was amazing. Never worked for or seen first hand a company like it! The training offered was amazing. Use of awesome technology and very fun atmosphere/office.

ConsUnfortunately, I quickly made the decision that sales was not the right field for me. I simply was not happy with the work I did. However, If I had any other job type at the company, I would probably still be there.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job!

Opportunity to learn and grow.

ProsGreat Organization that allows you to think innovative and provide solutions that are likely to be implemented or tested. There is an immense opportunity for individuals to grow in this organization.

ConsGiven that Groupon is now a global company, it should look out for talent across the world and provide opportunities to work from home, different city to get the most bright employees.

Worked for Groupon? Contribute to the Community!

Groupon Videos

Groupon – Why Work for Us?

Who We are, How We Work We provide a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Groupon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Groupon CEO Eric Lefkofsky . All 535 reviews posted anonymously by Groupon employees.