Groupon

www.groupon.com

Groupon Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Eric Lefkofsky

Pros
  • Young work environment, No dress code, free gatorade (in 47 reviews)

• Very laid back work environment with young and fun coworkers (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Hardly much work life balance and you feel guilty if you're not on-site (in 16 reviews)

• Lack of direction from upper-management, managers and supervisors are unqualified (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Culture, Poor Career

Copy Writer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe company culture is fantastic. It feels like a real community and—in the Editorial Department at least—superiors encourage open communication and creative thinking. Company policies also enforce a good degree of employee autonomy, which is great.

ConsIn its initial years, the company grew too fast too quickly and ended up acquiring a larger workforce than was actually needed. This contributed to a number of structural problems—the most frustrating being that it became very difficult for even high performing employees to advance along their career path because the company was more interested in bleeding employees out than rewarding hard work. In fact, good work often went not only unrewarded but unacknowledged. There was very little incentive for employees, monetary, titular or otherwise. At the end of the day, though it was a good job. But not a good career.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think incentivizing and rewarding employees is incredibly important to both morale and retention. It's worth prioritizing.

Great starter job

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people, no dress code, unlimited PTO, decent money

ConsManagement has no experience. Micromanage. No real advancement opportunities. No respect for sales people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your sales personnel better. They are the only people that keep the company afloat.

Senior Account Executive

ProsThe company has put a ton of resourses over the past 18months in traning and development of new sales employees. If you are looking to learn how to sell, the current process is a great place to start. Office Culture is nice, friendly and young staff.

ConsGoals and Expectations are constantly changing, every quarter there is a new roll comp plan or performance metrics. Went from a consultative sale to a call center only focused on hitting crazy daily metrics.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Team

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsPretty good work-life balance. Team was strong. Free food and other perks like company and team outings

ConsSometimes training and mentorship seems somewhat limited. Does not have a ton of perks like one of the big four companies.

Great for kids. Frustrating for grownups.

Staff Writer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEveryone you meet, from customer-service rep to recruiter to sales team member to creative, is going to be great. Funny, warm, cool--a potential friend or creative collaborator in an extracurricular project. The offices are decent, and the cafeteria/catering is very good. People do care about language here, and that good writing still means something at a huge e-commerce company is a wonderful thing.

ConsSenior management is experienced and knowledgeable. Middle management--which was almost nonexistent when I worked there, and was a chaotic role at best--is generally very young people freshly promoted from the sheep pen. Promotions and selections for the plum assignments were usually popularity-based and overwhelmingly favored young improv-comedian-type men. During my tenure, I saw numerous extraordinarily talented writers leave because they were simply exhausted by the quota system and by the accurate impression that no one cared what they thought about the work they were doing. At the time, the strictures for the "Groupon Voice" were far more limiting, and I hear there's more room for creative expression and individuality now. That is very good news.

Advice to Senior ManagementSolicit more feedback from junior employees--and implement their best ideas, from organizational structure to benefits to daily quotas. Reward and acknowledge more people than just the popular superstars. Hire middle managers who've actually managed before and are as willing to learn on the job and be mentored as their junior staffers. Give real bonuses to creatives who've earned them. Encourage more social integration and friendly collaboration/communication among unnecessarily divided departments.

Flexible, good entry level sales position, NOT for a seasoned sales rep. would recommend for an entry level sales person

Outside Sales Account Executive (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsFlexible, no micro managing. My Base Pay was 55K

ConsHard to determine a good strategy to maximize on commission. Commission is performance based, not just how many contracts you get signed

Advice to Senior Managementlocal support for sales reps, commission should have incentive for signed contract AND performance based

Too big, too fast

Human Resources (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosfun environment, interesting product, great technology, innovaite ... if you got in the ground level you are set.

Consthe only thing constant is the change. Expect managers to come and go by the week, goals and quotas to change month ... if you are in sales, the commission payout will fluctutate month by month depending on what targets they want you to be hitting. long hours. Management is always wanting more, more, more.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnjoy it while you are here. You're likely in your spot because you got in early and they mixed senority in the company for experience and knowledge.

Customer Support Representative

Customer Support Representative (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBenefits, Opportunities for advancement, Teamwork/coworkers

ConsLoss of "voice" in lower positions

Fast paced, always changing, unexpected, challenging.

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent sales tools available to emloyees.

Conslow morale due to constant policy, procedure and pay changes.

Good company to work at

Doge Catcher (Former Employee) Chicago Heights, IL

ProsGroupon is a fun place to work at. They offer competitive benefits and pay. Would recommend this company to a friend.

ConsI don't have any cons to list so...
    -Lost doge
    -such trubble
    -so scare
    -wow
    -much reward

Worked for Groupon? Contribute to the Community!