Groupon
www.groupon.com Chicago, IL 5000+ Employees

Groupon Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Eric Lefkofsky

Pros:
  • "No dress code, free soda and vitamin water, no vacation policy"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Casual work environment, great people, unlimited vacation"
    in 36 reviews
Cons:
  • "People are forced to work long hours because everyone is over worked"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Work-life balance is by far one of the struggles for anyone in sales"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

I have been working at Groupon

Proscompensation, time-off policies, flexible work hours, people are great.

Consbig company with normal big company bureaucracy

Fun, meet a lot of smart people - can be frustrating at times though

Inventory Management Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Groupon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEnjoy going to work everyday. I've never dreaded the workweek. That's a huge plus. There is room for advancement if you work for it - most people are in a sales role and they just assume that there is no career growth but I have seen plenty of people work hard and move on. The company is still very young and has a lot of room for growth so there is opportunities to make your ideas come to life. I personally enjoy seeing all the moving parts working around me as there are not many companies in Chicago that grew so big so fast - and now we are in that period of adjustment to make all our investments, tools, and acquisitions merge into one big machine. While frustrating at times, I think in the long run it will good experience for many people to use later on in life when they take on larger job responsibility or even start their own companies.

ConsManagement is super frustrating. I really like the long term vision of the company that the CEO has, but sales management is so short term focused and I think it really affects the morale of the sales force at times. Things change all the time here....they change bonus and commission plans all of the time because I guess they just can't seem to get it right. I wish sales management would be more active in the day to day stuff that the sales reps go through. It seems that they just look at numbers all day and say "do this, do that", when they really need to realize that every single merchant we are working with has a different personality and different needs and desires. Managers are in meetings all day doing god knows what. Please be more involved with your teams and your salesforce - it will really pay off immensely!

Advice to Senior ManagementLike I said above - sales management - DSMs, RSDs, RVPs, and even the head of sales - please be more active on the sales floor with the reps who are doing the dirty work - using data is great in some cases but this is a marketing and advertising company and you need to let us trust our gut and instinct more rather than rely solely on fuzzy algorithms to tell us what to do. The systems that we are putting in place seem all nice and pretty from a birds eye view but when you really are on the ground floor seeing the "computers doing the work", you will get a much better understanding of how flawed and raw the systems are right now. Also - stop hiring good sales reps into manager roles. Being good at sales does not automatically make you a good manager. Be more diligent in the hiring process (novel idea - maybe someone who is not a sales rep can step in and be a DSM?).

Account Executive

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Groupon full-time for more than a year

ProsOffice culture was great. Co-workers push themselves. Can make good money working in larger cites. Have a great cafe to get food in as well. Great training as well, it is on going

ConsComp plans usually change about twice a year. Not a lot of career growth in sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont penalize the good workers that hit goals when the lazy workers dont.

A mind-blowing introduction into the startup space.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Groupon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA great place to begin your career. You get to experience a startup like atmosphere at an established company (so your not in someone's garage). Excellent health benefits, mediocre retirement benefits, and a decent salary.

ConsConstant churn at the management level. Instead of moving up the ladder there are constant layers of management created above you, making it difficult to get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally focus on improving internal promotions, after two years you literally force your excellent employees to seek work outside just to get that big pay raise.

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Groupon full-time for more than a year

ProsYou will learn a lot of skills that maybe helpful for you start your idea

Conslife work balance is not good.
companies is kinda mean.
no PTO.
usually ask for working over time.

Great experience and significant ability to have impact, particularly for young 20-somethings.

I have been working at Groupon full-time

ProsLots of flexibility, autonomy to pursue projects of interest. Generally very smart, competent peers. Managers / HR invested in your experience and tend to care about providing opportunities for upward mobility. Unlimited vacations. Young company with great people that you can connect with.

ConsExtremely fast paced environment, sometimes a lot of fire drills and pressure to work with tight deadlines

Awesome Company to Work for

Inbound Relationship Manager (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time for less than a year

ProsOffice Culture was amazing. Never worked for or seen first hand a company like it! The training offered was amazing. Use of awesome technology and very fun atmosphere/office.

ConsUnfortunately, I quickly made the decision that sales was not the right field for me. I simply was not happy with the work I did. However, If I had any other job type at the company, I would probably still be there.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job!

Opportunity to learn and grow.

I have been working at Groupon full-time

ProsGreat Organization that allows you to think innovative and provide solutions that are likely to be implemented or tested. There is an immense opportunity for individuals to grow in this organization.

ConsGiven that Groupon is now a global company, it should look out for talent across the world and provide opportunities to work from home, different city to get the most bright employees.

Great Work Environment, Poor Opportunity & Compensation

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Groupon full-time for more than a year

ProsCasual work environment, great people, unlimited vacation

ConsPoor compensation, quotas/comp plan always changing, short term fixes

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing things to appease Wall Street. Have a long-term goal. If you're going to put money into consultative training, understand that it takes time to land accounts and build rapport. Don't switch them after 90 days.

Frustrating at Times

Deal Qualifier (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible work hours
Good benefits
Unlimited PTO

ConsLack of structure
focused on short-term results and not long-term goals
quantity over quality
career growth very hard to obtain
low staff morale
low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent rather than handing down mandates.
Look at the quality of work people do, stop focusing solely on quantity, it's not always the solution.
Reward the hardworkers who show up to work every day and care about what they do.

Worked for Groupon? Contribute to the Community!

Groupon Videos

Groupon – Why Work for Us?

Who We are, How We Work We provide a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Groupon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Groupon CEO Eric Lefkofsky . All 481 reviews posted anonymously by Groupon employees.