Groupon

www.groupon.com

Groupon Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Eric Lefkofsky

Pros
  • Young work environment, No dress code, free gatorade(in 46 reviews)

• Very laid back work environment with young and fun coworkers(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Hardly much work life balance and you feel guilty if you're not on-site(in 16 reviews)

• Lack of direction from upper-management, managers and supervisors are unqualified(in 27 reviews)

Incredible place to grow

Sales (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsAmazing office culture with all the tech company perks like massages, team events and vibrant office environment.
    Inspiring to be part of a growing company that not only focusses on its own growth but also helps small businesses all around Australia to grow and prosper. It is great to know that my deals not only earn me commission but help business owners in my city and also help customers explore their city.
    Great to see a lot of internal promotion and people growing through the ranks. We are all really young and starting our careers but it is cool to see people step into shoes one size too big and grow into them quickly.
    The company focusses heavily on technology and processes, for the past year it has been hard to cope with so much change but it is starting to pay off now and the tools are super helpful.
    It sounds cheesy but everyone is friends.. people know each other in different departments and we hang out as much inside the office as outside.

ConsOne of the hard things of working for a fast moving company is that it always changes. It is sometimes frustrating to cope with the change but it is usually for the better.
    Some of the managers are pretty young and I wish they took more time to support their employees and not just focus on the job at hand.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior leadership really care about the business and the employees. This business has gone through a lot over the past 3.5 years but the current leadership team are the best we have had.
    They communicate a lot, sometimes it even feels like too much, but it is great that they constantly share wins and losses and our strategy going forward. It helps us to all work together.

Wonderful organization to work for!!!!!!!Proud to be a Grouponer!!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

ProsGood work culture, open door policy, excellent people, good compensation, loads of opportunities for creative people, no dress code, lots of fun

ConsThe organization is growing and there is lots of changes. Best suited for highly ambitious and creative people.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more on employee's. Avoid cost cutting measures.

Was treated great as a temp

Customer Service Representative - Temporary (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people are hilarious, most are actors/comedians. It was so laid back. Was not strict which made you want to work hard for them. They provided vitamin waters, tea, coffee, bottled water, pop and any other drink you could think of. They had a really cool break room with a juke box. You could wear whatever you wanted. Employees VERY helpful.

Conscommunication with temps was not always there. there were tons of folks to keep up with though so all in all they did a pretty good job.

Groupon Employer Representative responded to this review

Jun 23, 2014

Thanks for the review. We're glad to hear that you were treated well as a temp in our Customer Service department!
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love it here!

Account Representative (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe culture is very encouraging. If you work hard, people will help you and guide you to becoming a better professional and person.

ConsEmployer matching 401K. But that should change.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture and the vision, do not become a sales call center.

Real Truth about Groupon

Sales (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- Fun, energetic group of staff
    - Casual dress code
    - Great atmosphere with constant ad-hoc events around the office
    - Flexible working & work from Home (role dependant)
    - Opportunity to contribute to global growing business (not maintaining someone else's work)
    - Opportunity to work with peers in different countries & expand knowledge base (role dependant)
    - Paid sick days
    - Benefits that support key life decisions (wedding bonus & baby bonus)
    - Company promotes diversity ( PRIDE & Women groups)
    - Paid time off to volunteer for causes

I should start by saying that this is not a 9-6 Company. If you are looking for a Company where you show up at 9 do your bit then leave at 6 on the nose this is probably not the best environment for you. This Company has been around for 4.5 years in Europe and what originally started as many individual entities has since started to transition to a single global organisation. A transition of this size & scope there are ultimately going to be challenges and frustrations- but there is also countless opportunities to have impact on the Company you work within and to gain a number of professional skills along the way.

Money is being invested into management training for all people managers and with the new EMEA management leaders a bigger focus is being placed on employees. They encourage diversity, community and team events and teams receive training based on the changing needs of the organisation.

After reading the other posts my unbiased opinion is that people have valid feedback however I think they are genuinely missing the size of the project at hand. Aligning 20+ countries in Europe to the globals objectives takes a lot of time and often one project needs to be completed in order to enable another. I have seen the Company with no benefits and rewards (every person in every position was paid below market) to a Company that matches market in terms of base comp (most roles) and also offers good benefits. I am very confident that this offering with continue to grow with the business.

I highly recommend working here but stress it is for specific personality types. It is very challenging with constantly changing goal posts and deliverables. There can be long hours, lack of transparency and a general lack of communication and understanding between departments. But as someone who thrives in this environment I like the challenge of making it better, which I can see my role does.

Cons- Could have better holiday allowance
    - Some office furniture needs replacing

The main cons of the org stems from general communication between teams and business units. There are some staff (managers & front line) who have a real "blame" approach to issues and instead of working together to resolve issues (in a positive way) they rather blame everyone else and allow for that negativity to spread to the rest of their team.

Also communication could be better from our Senior leaders on why we make (or don't make) the decisions we do. Giving us more context about why the business didn't do something is just as important as tell us why it did.

Advice to Senior ManagementMahatma Ghandi said "be the change you want to see in the world". I think management would benefit from approaching the working environment in the way they want to see it, not the way it is.

This is good company

Qualitry Assurance (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

ProsLots of salary fro all

ConsWorklife balance worst for all

its been amazing, great learning,excellent work culture

Marketing (Current Employee) Delhi (India)

Pros5 days a week working, no pressure, people come themselves to get their business registered

ConsHmmm, no major competition to the company, so no job opportunities after leaving Groupon

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

Account Manager at Groupon

Account Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Great Culture and worked with some fantastic hard-working individuals.
    - Management really listens to associate feedback when implementing new products and internal/external processes.

Cons-Wish there was more transparency about internal issues
    -Also the work-life balance could have been a lot better, many associates work around the clock for their merchants

Awesome Company to Work for

Inbound Relationship Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOffice Culture was amazing. Never worked for or seen first hand a company like it! The training offered was amazing. Use of awesome technology and very fun atmosphere/office.

ConsUnfortunately, I quickly made the decision that sales was not the right field for me. I simply was not happy with the work I did. However, If I had any other job type at the company, I would probably still be there.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job!

Young, Fun Company

Editorial (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYoung and creative people, innovation, casual attire, opportunities to learn

ConsFew hiring opportunities, little room for movement

Worked for Groupon? Contribute to the Community!