Groupon Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014

Groupon CEO Eric Lefkofsky
Eric Lefkofsky

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and no dress code- not just the title of it, people really don't care (in 59 reviews)

• Work from home, the compensation use to be great, but that's been gone for some time (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management constantly changes requirements in order to keep your job (in 34 reviews)

• Hardly much work life balance and you feel guilty if you're not on-site (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Culture is great but lots of growing to do

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In engineering specifically, lots of autonomy and access to training and other unique, progressive development resources

Cons

Vague career-pathing, need more insight into larger company goals and less throwaway work

Employee perks like childcare and lunch would make a huge difference.

Satisfied

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will be among the smartest and most energetic young professionals in your field. If given the opportunity to work in a responsive market, you'll be able to make a decent amount of money.

Cons

Opportunity for advancement is limited.

Company struggling to reach maturity

Current Employee - Team Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work/Life - very manageable for support functionalists

Cons

Values - 2/5 core values are jokes (nothing is built for long term, most things medicore)
    Low-performance culture - many people here just trying to skate by and make OK money (or very good money if they have long-standing client relationships)
    Development Experience - Some departments (sales, Customer Service) have very robust training and growth programs. Support professionals do not.
    Compensation for functionalists - well below market value

Figure out a strategy and commit to it beyond the quarter. Definitely went public too soon and is living quarter to quarter, making it way too hard to commit to strategy and implement positive changes to the business.

Horrible mismanagement, difficult product to sell, lack of flexibility

Current Employee - Inside Account Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Account Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Young work environment with some smart colleagues
    -Good training programs - learning to sell in a consultative way
    -A few fun company events throughout the year

Cons

-Complete lack of empathy on sales reps from upper management - for example, the CEO has requested multiple times to have sales teams sit in his desk to increase the "pressure cooker"/boiler room effect, causing undue stress on sales teams.
    -Fear based environment - fear of not hitting your "number", everyday, fear of repercussions for this and of course, fear of ultimately losing one's job (even for strong performers, which I was). This fear certainly harmed productivity.
    -Product is very difficult to sell (hurts a lot of businesses - why they would ever do Groupon I don't know) and lack of flexibility from management for these constraints to work through challenging situations
    -Transactional sale more than long-term sell (always focused on short term)
    -Call center mentality with unrealistic daily expectations and emphasis on daily activity - talk time, dials, etc.

It's hopeless..

Its a Boiler Room

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Groupon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

So long as you maintaing sales or the appearance of getting sales, you're good. Snarfs makes good sandwiches.

Cons

Senior managment is psychotic and doesnt care of the huge collateral damage that happens internally or to the business you're selling to. I felt like I was selling crack. Most employees are just out of school but act, smell, and talk like the office is their dorm on a Friday night. Most of my team was hungover or still drunk on Mondays

Stop marginalizing valuable employees and see what your company could be.

Most of my friends don't work there anymore

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When I joined, it was pretty fantastic - there WAS a real work hard/play hard mentality and a company culture that valued not only the zaniness of a young start up, but a place that felt supportive. Though ALOT has change, vestiges of that still exist in some of the people there. Speaking of which, the people - the heaps of cool, smart people was definitely the best thing. Also the parties and work events. And the Vitamin water.

Cons

Management is young and inexperienced. Wanting to improve their day-to-day, they favor and give projects to friends, which ends up being the path for promotion. If you are not in the right clique, your career path can suffer. Also, any professional working with analytics knows there are a number of factors that go into metrics and is not quick to judge but looks at multiple factors before making a decision on what the numbers mean - however, "HIT YOUR NUMBER" seems to be the only true company value left these days - you are reminded of it almost hourly.

Address cronyism - more than that, actively seek it out to stamp it out. There are loads of people who complain about it after work hours and look on in resentment as these work cliques are formed and fiercely protected. It's practically a caste system and it's one of the biggest morale killers I've ever come across.

Senior Account Representative

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No paid time off policy.
    Decent Commission.
    Training you get to develop as a rep is tremendous.

Cons

No accountability.
    Constantly having to do everyone's job for them.
    My Questions NEVER get answered.
    Investors and board members are greedy penny pinchers that don't appreciate their employees.

Take a minute to listen to your employees that are on the phone all day with merchants. We are the only reason this company exist, and we're treated as if we don't matter. You've already lost an excessive amount of talented sales reps that could have made you even more money if you would have just taken the time to listen.

If you're looking at this company.. please, run as far away as possible.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and cool atmosphere. Very social environment. Free La Croix and ice cold Fresca.

Cons

All of the great people are leaving and the micro management is intolerable. Expect to let your manager know when you're going to the restroom and expect to give him a ETA on your return to your desk.

Find someone who knows how to manage a sales organization. Take a look at your top people and focus on retention strategies. Young people will leave when they see all of the top tenured people quitting.

Ready, Fire, Aim - horrible senior management

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are an outside sales rep, you get to work remotely. I am lucky to have had excellent DSMs and City Planners and my peers are bright, talented people. When you do get to help local businesses achieve their goals, it is rewarding.

Cons

Compensation plan has changed more than 10 times since I started less than 3 years ago. No path for advancement or growth if you are an outside sales rep. Recent changes have turned the outside sales team into inside sales reps, "How many dials have you done today?" is a frequent question. They hire experienced senior sales people then micromanage the productivity out of them. You have no autonomy to creatively problem solve. Ideas to management are not acted on or listened to. Goals/focus change so rapidly that it seems as if upper management is always in a reactive mode instead of building for the future in a positive way.

Sales are a transfer of enthusiasm. When you get into your salesforce's heads so that they don't feel secure in their jobs, they are constantly having their focus shifted from one fire to put out to another, they don't get to keep accounts that they nurture, develop & close, they make less money than before and there is no consistent path to development--you see declining profits and will have much higher training costs as you churn and burn your employees. People are any company's most valuable resource...Groupon should be prepared to see a mass exodus of experienced sales talent from its ranks.

Ran as fast as I could.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Laid back work environment, company provided cell-phone, laptop and tablet (not really sure why this is a pro because I have my own), flexible schedule (I know for most this isn't the case) and you can wear anything you want to work as long as your private parts are covered.

Cons

Lack of any formalized training, poor leadership, internal conflict between managers, low employee morale, horrible brand reputation (a lot of times when you cold-call businesses and say "hi I am with Groupon" they immediately hang up on you or talk about how great other company's are because they care about their clients), low pay, confusing comp plan.

None, should have sold off to Google back in the day; from what I understand this was a good company to work for and is no longer the case.