Groupon Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
778 reviews filtered by

Great training, stagnating product core & no consistency.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing training, great benefits, great people. I genuinely love working here, I've met some great people, managers are very helpful and always help any way they can.

Cons

Constant changes in terms of goals & structure. Micro managing is a serious problem here. Things change so often it becomes hard to keep up. Can feel clicky sometimes. Upward mobility is not strong. Groupon's core product which are it's deals based platform is running is course. Better off getting into a different division other than sales. Lead assignment is extremely poor, constantly getting accounts that are out if business, not a fit for the platform, or are not categorized properly. Distribution is done by an algorithm without any human input, there are backlogs of accounts that dating back to 2011 have been flagged for these listed reasons, but continue to get cycled. High turnover due to over hiring.

Stop changing things constantly and let people do their job. Training is already difficult enough without having to constantly keep up with metrics. Give your sales employees more power. Create a team that looks at these leads, an astounding 40% are worthless, taking away 40% of 400 accounts does not leave one enough opportunity to succeed in this training program, very serious issue.

Pushy sales and I didn't believe in what I was selling, groupon is not good for business, groupon is good for groupon

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon

Pros

Free soda and dress down, allowed to take a break whenever you need one

Cons

Place is over run with a bunch of 20 year olds, very childish work environment

Hire with the thought of more diversity, a bigger selection of people with different backgrounds would get rid of all the cliquishness and 2 hour lunches

sales rep

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative Gob in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative Gob in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

free coffee and beverages, attainable bonuses, unlimited time off, health benefits, great training and first job experience.

Cons

Overworked. Pressured to work more than 8 hours and encouraged to work from home on your time off with same base salary.

Do not underestimate the power of praise and recognition for your colleagues.

Getaways Rep

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are awesome. Everyone is mostly mid-20's to 30's and the atmosphere is great. There's happy hours and fun work events as well. It's a great place to get sales experience.

Cons

There is no "moving up" in the company. There are a lot of sneaky and non-transparent things that go on, and when different structures change or things are launched, everyone except senior management is left in the dark. They pay is not great and they snatch you out of college or without any previous sales experience because the commission structure is so terrible they don't want you to know any better. The only people that make money are the ones that were lucky enough to join the company a few years ago, so they have all the money-maker accounts and the commission structure pretty much gives to the "rich" and takes from the "poor." Turn over rate is ridiculously high too. It seems one person leaves a week...

Inside Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon

Pros

Flexible vacation policy
    Young culture
    Contests
    Decent 1st job out of college
    Will become the sole owner of the space created within 1 year

Cons

Unprofessional training
    Inexperienced upper management
    Change in policy without full analysis of potential long term repercussions
    Not a place to build a career based on treatment of top talent
    Becoming a churn and burn sales environment without any new product or growing customer base
    Eliminated incentive for top talent to rise through the ranks quickly/fairly, instead rigid timeframes in place that can lead to frustration and lack of motivation for talent capable of driving business growth

Improve compensation to attract higher quality talent needed to drive business growth in key verticals including food/beverage industry and nationally viable partnerships

What they tell you in hiring is a lie; you wont make 6 figs. You'll be lucky to hit 50k after a year.

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people. First few months were great and fun.

Cons

Comparable to a sweat shop. Company doesn't care about you unless you bring in hundreds of thousands.

There are many talented people who are leaving because the system isn't fair. It is almost impossible to make money unless you have been there more than 3 years.

8. Had lots of fun; great location; learned a lot

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Groupon as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I interned for Groupon over the summer in their Seattle office and had a fantastic time. The group I interned with was very tight-knit and friendly, and made me feel very welcome over the course of the summer. The food was also great -- we went to the nearby international district every day for lunch, which was generally fantastic. My project was also interesting. I ended up learning a lot and picking up several new (useful) technologies which have since then I've used multiple times.

Cons

Offices are a little bland, and lack personality.

Building a house with no foundation

Former Employee - Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Accountant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Environment is young and fast paced which gives you a lot of learning opportunities. Fun social activities outside of work that fosters great friendships outside the workplace.

Cons

Problem starts with tone at the top...the mentality is always do what I say not what I do. No one wants to impove how things are done. Problems aren't dealt with, only swept under the rug. Management will listen to your solutions to problems and then nothing will materalize.

If you're the type of person that has a can-do attitude, seeks opportunities to make things better, or wants to grow within a company...Groupon is not the place for you.

You need to completely revamp processes and management style. If there's such a high turn-over rate in your department it's time to look at why that is and how you can improve on that. You need to stop accepting things as is and figure out a way to improve.

It's okay....

I have been working at Groupon

Pros

the office is cool, fun people, good work hours

Cons

always changing, never consistent, managers always coming and going, extremely high turnover. Pay is bad.

keep working off what you have, stop trying to change everything each quarter and give employees better incentives for motivation.

Not what it used to be

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've developed so much as an employee and as a person during my time at Groupon. I've been challenged to find alternative and creative solutions to problems, and have developed a fantastic network of hard-working, intelligent folks who I'm confident will go on to do amazing things.

Cons

Underpaid, undervalued, misogynistic environment that doesn't know where to place importance.

If you valued your employees more and paid them what they're worth, you wouldn't have the attrition problem you're currently facing. Stop worrying about finding good MBA candidates, they don't want to work for the pay you're giving.