Groupon Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
785 reviews filtered by

Fun environment when visiting corporate headquarters in Chicago but not a lot of support as an outside rep.

I have been working at Groupon

Pros

Work remotely
    company phone and lap top
    expense B2B meetings

Cons

quotas constantly changing
    micromanaging
    not a lot of room for growth

get out of the start up phase and have better communication with your outside force

Coupon selling

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-The people you work with (meaning everyone precluding management)
    -Industry is interesting
    -People take "Groupon" on your resume seriously

Cons

-Pay is atrocious
    -Management treats you like you're in high school
    -Lots of smoke screens- constant barrage of promises for improvement with absolutely no follow through
    -Professional growth is absent and my only promotion was a slap in the face
    -Don't work here if you have other options

-Really? Please start treating your sales force with a little respect. Attrition doesn't even seem to be a worry for you. Why? Top talent is leaving because there are better opportunities pretty much everywhere, so start being honest about the direction the company is taking. Every time I see a new person come to work here I want to tell them to leave.

Top notch

I worked at Groupon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People, Product, Culture, Technology, Room for Growth,

Cons

Not as many opportunities for top performing talent

Rewards your best managers and employees differently than you incentivize the rest of the team.

Engineer

I worked at Groupon

Pros

The food was good. The coffee was good. Really not much more than that, the culture was boring.

Cons

Everyone there felt like the work was totally pointless. People seemed bored. People were constantly interviewing at other locations.

I really don't have any advice. I really don't have any advice. I really don't have any advice. I really don't have any advice. I really don't have any advice. I really don't have any advice. I really don't have any advice.

Could be much, much better - why do they hold us down?

I worked at Groupon

Pros

The people are awesome, by people I mean everyone who isn't a manager

Cons

Fire 100% of middle management and every senior manager that was there before the IPO

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Environment. Free drinks and snack for employees. The ping pong and pool tables are an awesome asset to working there. Most the people there're really young and energetic. Laid back environment. Great training if you are open to always improving your sales pitch.

Cons

Impossible metrics for Cold Calling. COLD CALLS COLD CALLS!! If you like to cold call and make over 100 dials a day then you can fit in. Management is young and because of this reason they lack the experience of coaching and related. Use this as a stepping stone for your sales career, this is not the place you want to stay long term.
    Salary is very low for the amount of work a rep puts in.

Either hire management with experience or create a management program that teaches leadership, coaching methods, personality and reliability.

Challenging

Current Employee - Outside Sales Account Executive in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with incredible merchants and co-workers towards a common goal of bringing in new customers and more money to local businesses. Fun watching deals take off. Groupon is a fun quirky company. If you are able to close a lot of great deals, you will be compensated.

Cons

Unrealistic profit goals - the better you do, the crazier your goals get. Every quarter you are expected to exceed what was done before and with mostly NEW businesses. The cold calling is rough. A lot of merchants are over Groupon. And once you do get a deal signed up, there is a lot of drama before, during and after.

Stop shifting the goals/vision every 5 minutes.

You're on your own

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Groupon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Remote employees have an autonomous environment. The Merchant Center showcases the results of campaigns, making it an easy sell once you get a merchant's attetion. Management will leave you alone which is nice. But if you're not hitting their minimum expectation you have daily calls with management- unfortunately about 75% of the sales staff is on 'warning'. Getting to work with local merchants.

Cons

Groupon is not what it used to be. The sales leaders treat the outside reps like inside reps, calling off lists of businesses that have been called over 20 times in 30 days. They say they have an automated 'demand generation filter' on the list which is nonsense. If a local business is not 'QL' approved, you can't work with them. You're expected to sell 20 deals a month and the only way to do that is to recycle old deals from merchants you've worked with. But the compensation for a refeatured offer is near next to nothing. You are rated on the amount of revenue you generate and number of contracts back. Since you're always being hammered on number of contracts per month, you can't concentrate on new merchants. It used to have such a great culture. What's left are greedy shareholders that crack whips chasing what will never be realized - a profit.

Let your regional managers manage. They are glorified robot messengers that spew what you tell them to say. Quit creating so many internal roadblocks for reps to get a deal closed. If you want 20 contracts closed in a month, ease up on all the restrictions you place on businesses being qualified.

10. Account Representative, inside and outside sales

Current Employee - Account Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Excellent culture. Growth Opportunities

Cons

Takes time to earn commission, salary is a little low

Need better organized, sales team.

Sales Rep

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon

Pros

Fun place to work with fun people. Day goes by fast if you work your butt off. Managers are nice.

Cons

Very hard to hit the goals of the company. They push you to your limits and is a long work day.