Groupon

Updated August 20, 2014

2.9

Groupon CEO Eric Lefkofsky
Eric Lefkofsky

Pros
  • Young work environment, No dress code, free gatorade (in 47 reviews)

• Very laid back work environment with young and fun coworkers (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Hardly much work life balance and you feel guilty if you're not on-site (in 16 reviews)

• Lack of direction from upper-management, managers and supervisors are unqualified (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Catty girls and unprofessional hiring managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

-Super casual dress code (can wear yoga pants to work)
    -Free pop
    -Fooda
    -No vacation policy

Cons

-Unprofessional work environment (hiring managers swearing in candidate feedback)
    -Catty girls that make new employees feel very uncomfortable (never have I experienced this type of cattiness not even in college and being in a sorority (not sure if former employees are on a power trip)
    -No 401k matching or tuition reimbursement
    -Location isn't the best in the city (not a lot of places around to grab lunch)
    -Inexperienced hiring managers and co-workers
    -Not accurately describing the position

My advice to anyone who is thinking about working here is that if you like structure and a more professional setting both from dress perspective and the type of hiring managers and co-workers you are working with I definitely would not recommend working here. This would probably be a good job for a recent college grad but not for someone who has working experience. Managers and co-workers are inexperienced and you can see that. Some employees are nice but others are extremely catty more of a college type of setting. Advice I would give to management is actually have the new hire or potential new hire interview with the co-workers whose team they will be on. This will give the new hire the chance to see if they would fit in or not before it is too late and you have already started with the company. Embrace new hires more and hold hiring managers accountable for showing up for interviews and being professional or Groupon will keep the reputation that is has that is a college feel and you can get away with anything. The only reason you hear people wanting to work at Groupon is that they hear it is fun. Hopefully in the future there will be some other reasons to add besides that.

Not what it used to be...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

No dress code
    Free soda, coffee, tea
    Open work environment

Cons

No trust
    No work/life balance
    Micro-management
    Career advancement path is consistently changing
    Goals are completely unattainable

Let your sales people work to their strengths instead of telling them how things need to be done.

Trust your employees.

Fun place to build a career

Current Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

- Lots of very interesting problems to solve
    - Fairly flat
    - Smart and interesting people

Cons

- Can be chaotic at times
    - Morphing from start-up to big company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love it here!

Current Employee - Account Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Chicago, IL

Pros

The culture is very encouraging. If you work hard, people will help you and guide you to becoming a better professional and person.

Cons

Employer matching 401K. But that should change.

Keep the culture and the vision, do not become a sales call center.

Unorganized

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

Pros

the teams are very innovative

Cons

the lack of organization is painful - there is no planning and hiring process is a mess.

understand the market

Working at Groupn has been a mixed bag.

Current Employee - Breadcrumb Support  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Breadcrumb Support in Chicago, IL

Pros

I have had the chance to work with some amazing people in a fast paced and casual environment. I enjoy not having to wear a shirt and tie to work and also enjoy working in an open area with like minded professionals. Everyone here is extremely friendly and it is a welcoming environment overall.

Cons

The department I have been moved to is extremely stressful to the point that has negatively impacted my health and personal relationships. I was saddled with a difficult supervisor and we are extremely understaffed. Our clientele is very demanding and almost all of our calls are long/end up with the agent being yelled at for things that are beyond their control. Each time I have tried to apply elsewhere within the company, I have been blocked by management, not due to my ability but due to the fact that they do not want to lose me as an employee. I used to love working here but now my days are a nightmare.

Please hire more people and go back to Groupon's unofficial motto of not hiring 'brilliant a**holes'. Ever since the company has gone public, I feel that the culture has taken a steep downhill turn. Please hire more adequately in the future.

You're too late to have fun there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

It's the most successful Internet start-up in Chicago history. Some good people have stuck it out and are still there.

Cons

It's a giant global company, run by big company execs who want to move slowly, control spending, and avoid innovation. The guy who wrote the Good to Great book came in to talk with upper management about the symptoms of companies that had been early innovators and ultimately failed, and Groupon shared every symptom. All of the best innovative early leaders/execs have moved on to other companies.

Lefkofsky is a rich dude, but he's not a leader and not a CEO. The board should find someone who can salvage what's left of Groupon.

Groupon treats it's employees like robots

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

This was an opportunity for a great learning experience. There was a lot of freedom and abilities to make money early on.

Cons

As the company grew, the sales leaderships value of employees became non existent. "Everyone is replaceable" mentality

Grow and retain your top talent. Your best asset are your people.

It changed.

Former Employee - Outside Sales Account Executive
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Account Executive

Pros

As an outside rep, the schedule was flexible, but you end up working all of the time.

Quirky company with pretty lax dress/appearance code. Made it nice to be incognito going into merchants.

Work with some pretty good people. DSM was great. RVP was great.

You really do help local business. I -with Groupon's system- helped more than a few businesses either launch, or grow to see success.

If you're a guy, you get to know more about feminine hygiene and upkeep than you ever cared to know.

Pay was pretty good...

Cons

...but even good pay has its limits.

No specific vacation time means that you probably take your computer with you and never really take a vacation. In my two years, I never truly took time off. Could be my fault, but it would be nice if Groupon would have time when you can be completely off the grid. All other departments can take time off and not worry about merchants calling them or things going haywire. But not sales. Your expectation of numbers doesn't drop, so you never really unwind.

On top of that, senior management is whipping harder and harder.

I realize you can't make different standards for people. But trying to mold all reps into one style -I think- is ruining Groupon. I was always "slow and steady wins the race" and did very well. No phone. Only in person. But the standards of contact go so high that I was unable to effectively sell like I used to. I felt as though I was being converted into an Inside Sales rep who was outside sometimes. I had a very high close rate this way. Then, I made a LOT of contacts but didn't close as much. Seems to me that the wrong things are being measured (contacts instead of contracts). Consistently closing contracts is no fluke (thanks for that comment Darren) even if the activity doesn't match your model. You people (most of Groupon) may need the contact standards. I just wanted to close business.

There came a time where I was TRIPLE LOGGING ACTIVITY so that the right things showed up on the right reports.

No more human intuition. QL rules the day. As outside reps, we know the market. We know a good restaurant from a bad one. But convincing people in Chicago of this proved problematic. There were sandwich shacks that were qualified to run with us, and high-end restaurants that were not. Yes, we could feature the non-qualified high-end ones, but it won't go to many people so won't sell well. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Company ran by a bunch of young twenty-somethings and some older people trying to be cool twenty-somethings. Expect all meetings to be the most unprofessional that you have ever been in. From the first meeting on my first day until the very end; cussing in meetings is the norm. But it's above conversational...it's as if they were trying to make a point. Kids just out of college don't generally make good managers.

It may be too late, I don't know. But remember what got you to where you are. Not computers, but people decided what a good deal at a good merchant was. Instead of hammering merchants with too many phone calls and emails, spend some time with them; create loyalty.

Thank you for two years! I do appreciate it.

Solid Company, Lots of Changes, Stressed due to speed

Pros

Amazing culture and group of people to work with. You work next to your drinking buddy.

Cons

Cons, too many what ifs and answers needed to do your daily job without resolve.

Worked for Groupon? Contribute to the Community!