Groupon

Updated December 17, 2014
3.1

Groupon CEO Eric Lefkofsky
Eric Lefkofsky

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and no dress code- not just the title of it, people really don't care (in 62 reviews)

• Work from home, the compensation use to be great, but that's been gone for some time (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management constantly changes requirements in order to keep your job (in 36 reviews)

• Hardly much work life balance and you feel guilty if you're not on-site (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Visual Designer

Current Employee - Visual Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Visual Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

unlimited vacation time, work from home, anyperks.com access,

Cons

—Despite being the company headquarters, Chicago employees don't receive as many benefits as San Francisco or Palo Alto employees ie., free lunch, pets in office, expensive team outings
    —Extremely unorganized lower management.
    —Very little conception and planning behind expensive projects, this makes us waste time and money.

Design and plan for the future instead of easy, quick solves that aren't sustainable.

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere, easy sales, great name recognition.

Cons

Bad previous deals make it hard to do business with other merchants. Constantly changing programs.

Be consistent in direction of sales. Don't constantly change commission program.

Great perks, but low pay and poor management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits, flexible hours that you decide, essentially unlimited paid vacation, relaxed work environment, often promote from within

Cons

Disconnect between upper management and middle management, poor communication between departments, pay is incredibly sub-par (what is insisted is due to the other perks), still runs many day-to-day operations like they are a startup when they are a $2 billion publicly traded company, poor transparency

Pay people what they deserve, comparative with similar jobs at companies with a similar net worth. Have reasonable expectations from the CEO and other top level management, which would come if there were any type of connection from the top to all departments, you get the feeling they aren't sure what some incredibly important departments even do.

Fun place to work, good looking people- it's still a sales gig

I have been working at Groupon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent base pay
    Good benefits
    Attractive people

Cons

Goals keep getting bumped up
    VERY high attrition rate
    Senior mgmt doesn't know what to do
    Market is completely aturated

Get rid of the 6 month transfer policy

take offer w caution

Current Employee - Strategic Account Representative
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Representative

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, Casual Dress Code, Free Drinks

Cons

Constantly changing sales metrics, in experienced upper management, no vacation policy

Don't do it

Current Employee - General Labor in Hebron, CT
    Current Employee - General Labor in Hebron, CT

I have been working at Groupon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There at none. It sucks

Cons

Harrasment, they don't care about yoy

High attrition, long hours and frustrating management, but big upside for those who succeed.

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture isn't as strong as it was when I started, but they've made some progress. Sales training is great, but largely out of touch with the realities of the job. Managers are, on the whole, great to work for.

Cons

The money isn't great until you've been on the phones for at least a year. Management isn't in touch with the realities of the job, or the customers we talk to on a daily basis. Back-end sales support is lacking. Management likes to motivate through offering happy hours and contests, but not through increased incentives and bonuses.

Get your compensation in line with competitors. We're about 25% lower on the base. Also, spend a week on the phones and base your management decisions off that experience.

Horrible mismanagement, difficult product to sell, lack of flexibility

Current Employee - Inside Account Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Account Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Young work environment with some smart colleagues
    -Good training programs - learning to sell in a consultative way
    -A few fun company events throughout the year

Cons

-Complete lack of empathy on sales reps from upper management - for example, the CEO has requested multiple times to have sales teams sit in his desk to increase the "pressure cooker"/boiler room effect, causing undue stress on sales teams.
    -Fear based environment - fear of not hitting your "number", everyday, fear of repercussions for this and of course, fear of ultimately losing one's job (even for strong performers, which I was). This fear certainly harmed productivity.
    -Product is very difficult to sell (hurts a lot of businesses - why they would ever do Groupon I don't know) and lack of flexibility from management for these constraints to work through challenging situations
    -Transactional sale more than long-term sell (always focused on short term)
    -Call center mentality with unrealistic daily expectations and emphasis on daily activity - talk time, dials, etc.

It's hopeless..

Inbound Sales Representative experience

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative

I worked at Groupon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really loved how helpful and open the managers were when training their new people at becoming better sales reps. Management was totally open to helping me grow as a rep and I feel like I did learn a lot from them. I also liked that I was able to help out the new people later in my time so they felt welcome and less scared of the sales environment if they were totally new to this field. Sales is tough and you need all the training and support you can get. You've just gotta be open to it and gotta work hard at it.

Cons

It obviously can be a tough environment when you're new to sales. You've gotta be able to take rejection and still get back on the phone. That can get a little tiring. The real cons of sales here, was that things would change really quickly and we'd have to tell merchants without much notice. I wish we'd have more notice when it comes to things that effect the merchants we work with, especially if it can negatively effect our relationship with them.

I think it would still be great if they could streamline the training programs from Inbound to that second level. I've seen people really struggle when they get to that next part and I think that having a more structured transition could only help with retention.

Company struggling to reach maturity

Current Employee - Team Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work/Life - very manageable for support functionalists

Cons

Values - 2/5 core values are jokes (nothing is built for long term, most things medicore)
    Low-performance culture - many people here just trying to skate by and make OK money (or very good money if they have long-standing client relationships)
    Development Experience - Some departments (sales, Customer Service) have very robust training and growth programs. Support professionals do not.
    Compensation for functionalists - well below market value

Figure out a strategy and commit to it beyond the quarter. Definitely went public too soon and is living quarter to quarter, making it way too hard to commit to strategy and implement positive changes to the business.