Grow Financial Credit Union

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert L Fisher

Quality Place to work / Great Employees

ProsThere's a definite relaxed work culture. When requested there's competitive pay at positions. A growing Credit Union. The humble employees are what make it. It can be a long place of employment with decent benefits. Training available on site to develop employees into tomorrows leaders.

ConsNew movement into other states are the focus rather than rewarding employees (raises/bonus). Medical benefits are fading yearly. Growth brings new challenges from new places.

Advice to Senior ManagementYearly disclose to individual employees the level of growth that can be reached with their current credentials. Need to improve on services such as checking account fees and lack of rates. Need to develop other departments such as Business lending and Mortgage lending.

Real Estate Loan Officer

Loan Officer (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits, especially 401k match and time off (if supervisor allows and approves dates good for mgmt, not employee)

ConsPoor compensation. LO's required to perform A LOT of admin, processing, closing functions, Unlike any other financial institutions. And that won't change, processors/closers at HQ have it very easy at Grow. No marketing support outside of hillsborough county. Lack of decision making abilities, and project proposals, let alone initiation...takes few years for anything, such as products that fit your market to get done. Won't help production.

Over worked

Retail Relationship Specialist III (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsPromote from within thats a plus but the cons outweigh the pluses

Consthere are lots, no overtime, bonus is pitiful, promised us a raise and only gave it to "some" employees, bunch of liars

Advice to Senior Managementstick to what you tell employees dont go back on your word

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good People, Growth is Debateable

Branch Supervisor (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGood starting salary, job security, current expansion into other states,

ConsNo performance based comission structure even though we are required to sell mutliple products

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people. Extra money makes people happier than a trip to the zoo.

It can be disheartening if you want to make things better.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsFantastic Benefits Package
    Excellent Compensation
    The organization openly accepts members of the LGBT community and offers health insurance benefits for domestic partners
    Company headquarters include a gym for employee use

ConsSenior Management seems to have a very hard time finding a real direction to take the company in. There is frequently talk about changing the way that we do business, but we're so scared to rock the boat that we eventually back off and pretty much everything stays the same. Thing is, for the most part? We're pretty good at what we do and our members are happy with the services we offer. "Pretty good" doesn't encourage growth, though, and if you're really passionate about trying to find ways to change the organization for the better be prepared to be stonewalled on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to change the culture of your organization you have to be the living embodiment of what you want that culture to be. You cannot simply decide on a direction for the organization and the employees who aren't executives to live it if they don't see you practicing what you preach.

Great place to work!

Branch Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsI think the culture is great, and employees are valued. One of the best places I've ever worked, and I've been in banking for quite a while.

ConsThe typical things you'll find anywhere else - and in this economy, i think the goals are tough but fair.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the communication lines open. The all employee meeting was great and seemed to get people pumped. Dump some of the dead weight.

Good Companies/Employers are hard to find

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGrow has invested training time and dollars to help me do my job better. They also maintain very good employee benefits, including matching 401k contributions. They frequently provide and promote recognition to employees (below management levels). These are benefits and opportunities that are disappearing in many companies - especially those that are downsizing. For people who want to work and take advantage of opportunities within the company, the environment is great. I've seen many people promoted because of their dedication to the members and the organization.

ConsEvery company has issues and challenges, Grow is no exception. Are there challenges in communicating across a 500-person organization? Of course. But, I have seen changes to know that the company is working to improve. There are also challenges when the role of certain jobs changes. Some of this is due to changes in banking, and some is due to our current economy. Change is everywhere, and Grow has to adapt like every other business.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore and more of the company's management seems to know what they're doing now than in years past. I like where the company is heading.

Poor Management and not considerate of their employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Brandon, FL

ProsSalary and benefits were okay

ConsSince the name change, Grow has tried to become a very "Utopian Organization". They became very controlling to the point of "Stepfordizing" their employees. They were to look alike, act alike, talk alike, etc., almost to the point of becoming robotic.
    In addition, besides spending an astronomical amount of money to change their name, they also made many poor financial decisions that wasted members profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should have remained MacDill Federal Credit Union. You had a good reputation and seemed to care more about your employees.
    In response to the next question, I do not think Mr. Fisher is a good CEO. Either he doesn't know what's going on or doesn't care. Maybe you should come out of your "Ivory Tower".

Chearleaders welcome; integrity and loyalty not appreciated.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsSalary and benefits package is good. Hours are reasonable. If you are looking for a JOB and not a career you should be satisfied for a while.

ConsDealing with the complete lack of communication within the organization. Knowing that no matter how well you do your job, you will recieve no recognition. Having to be careful of who you speak to and constantly monitoring yourself to be sure you can't be accused of being "negative" or "not a team player". Chearleaders are welcome. Professionals with ethics, integrity. desire to improve the work environment and actually serve the membership need not apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your secluded tower and talk to your employees. Quit relying on what the middle management tells you - they tell you what you want to hear. Go back to an open door policy. Remember how things were when you first joined MFCU. How high morale was the first few years of your "reign" - when employees mattered and gave their very best because they were proud of where they worked and knew that they were an important part of the "team".

B players talk the talk, but manage a command-and-control 20th century culture

Training (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsSecure career for those who keep quiet and do their job

ConsRigid environment. Employees disappear quicky if they disagree with policy, speak up or step outside the command-and-control culture

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. Stop playing politics and power games, and give members value for their money instead. Move into the 21st century.

Worked for Grow Financial Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!