GrubHub

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Matt Maloney

I love my job

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe culture is very laid back. No one hovering over your shoulders micro managing. Great people, free coffee and they feed us pretty often. As long as you come to work and give quality service, your all good.

ConsThere is a shift bid every quarter. You can be ranked at #6 one week but if you call off or late , you're dropped to #35 the next day. Very frustrating when you want to have a life outside of your job. Its definitely not a 9-5. But a great work place!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementSeniority and Q/A should be a higher percentage on the shift bid.

Great company built on a great concept, but like most start-ups, struggling to handle growth.

Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat benefits
    Solid company culture
    Opportunities for advancement
    Relaxed work environment
    Lots of perks
    Very solid training program
    Very convenient work location (easily accessible)
    Very diverse group of co-workers
    Holiday and overtime pay is terrific

ConsShift bid is very erratic as metrics for determining shifts are unbalanced.
    Poor work/life balance
    Since merger, micromanagement has become more prevalent, which erodes company culture and creates an unfavorable work environment.
    Extremely unpredictable call volumes
    Poor fit for students with intensive majors due to schedules
    Favoritism among middle management
    Policies not always communicated effectively

Advice to Senior ManagementMuch better call volume forecasting is needed.
    More staff/larger office.
    Overhaul shift bid metrics
    More transparency/Better company communication
    Tuition reimbursement would help attract talent

Great Place to Work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe culture/environment within the office is great. Still has a start-up feel with an open office and lots of employee focused things (snack attacks, yoga after work, lunchtime bingo, birthday celebrations, etc). Product focused company always looking to innovate and push the envelope. Good work/life balance and opportunity for career growth.

ConsNone that I can think of!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the transparent communication and regular company updates.

GrubHub Representative responded to this review

Jun 25, 2014

Thank you for your review, we are glad to hear you enjoy working at GrubHub!
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A balance of Fun and Chaotic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros1. The people are great to work with and are very bright, from all sorts of backgrounds
    2. Opportunities to grow abound and Company has great learning culture
    3. Lots of Company Events and Food provided
    4. Great location and building

Cons1. Departments often under tug-of-war between shifting Mgmt priorities.
    2. Terrible communication.
    3. Lots of Technical Debt/long hours
    4. Big disparity between Customer Service and other Departments

Advice to Senior ManagementNo easy answers.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

GrubHub GrubHub responded to this review

Jul 3, 2014

Hi. Thank you for your review, we really appreciate your feedback and we are happy to hear your optimism for the future of the company!

A victim of its own success

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe awesome people - who are moving on
    The start-up culture - RIP
    The very cool platform and product - it is still a great service

ConsMerger - Communication from the top down, that was once very informative and personal, became so generic and then pretty much stopped altogether. After the merger many in senior management were so worried about their position the creativity and free trade of ideas was over. You would be told one thing well knowing that a few months later the exact opposite would be going into effect. The culture has changed and not for the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about your own job security and jockeying for position. Stop continuing to add hurdles to the exact things that have made GH so successful. There is a lot more a stake now but how did it get so far away from what got us to were we are today? Lastly, just be honest and transparent.

inbound calls/emails

Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgreat team, fun environment, opportunity to move up

Consrandom shifts, customers/partners calling in can be rude.

Fun, relatable, lots of opportunity

ProsThe culture is right on point

ConsNot really any cons as things that could improve are merely opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you build it they will come.

Started out so fun and then...

Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe location is downtown and is very easy to get to, you get paid very well for holiday pay. Free food and gifts sometimes.

ConsFavoritism and rules are different depending on who you talk to. Their Quality Assurance team is a bunch of losers and useless. Helping the customer and resolving the issue isn't enough, they want you to do this and that one week and change it next week. Lots of people that look like they just got off the fryer at Wendy's got hired before I quit. Very trashy and unprofessional at times. It's a great starter job, but long term it's not for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more flexibility in schedules, you just feel like a number and not a person after so many people being on the floor. It's pointless.

Grubhub Campus Brand Ambassador

Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsThey'll work around your schedule and you have the freedom to create any type of event. It was definitely a fun experience working with Grubhub because of the flexibility and interactive employees.

ConsAt times, communication with headquarters wasn't always transparent and sometimes the team will be left clueless about what to do until the day of the event. In other words, management and supervision could be better; we weren't always told what exactly to do during an event and we would get shipments of supplies late.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain the campus brand supervisor better or replace him.

Great Workplace and Employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery fun and energetic. Creative minds.

ConsBusy work. Weird Hours. Too laid back sometimes.

Worked for GrubHub? Contribute to the Community!