GrubHub Reviews

Updated April 19, 2015
66 reviews filtered by
3.4
Matt Maloney

Pros
  • Lots of free food and no micromanagement (in 10 reviews)

• Great people, free coffee and they feed us pretty often (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The senior management of the sales/account management department is abysmal (in 5 reviews)

• Big disparity between Customer Service and other Departments (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Awesomeness

I have been working at GrubHub

Pros

Great staff,fun atmosphere,great perks,great place to work, air hockey.

Cons

Not able to work more hours.

2. Customer Service Specialist

I have been working at GrubHub full-time

Pros

Great people, free lunches, laid back office.

Cons

Some crappy hours, work can get repetitive.

Great team in NYC, company culture a work in progress

I have been working at GrubHub

Pros

Terrific people in NYC office

Regular free food and discounts

Convenient Bryant Park location and good office within the Loop in Chicago

Everyone in New York knows Seamless

Cons

Post-IPO, still a lot of people complaining about how much better it was "in the old days".

Too many priorities

Transparency and quality of communication from exec team ranges from infrequent to disastrous

Like many places too many office politics

Advice to Management

Communicate better

Revisit compensation for technology roles

5. It's Cool...no harsh complaints at all.

I have been working at GrubHub part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great...even for us part timers. I have to say the best part about my job currently are the people I work with, never a dull day with them. I guess everyone has a different experience BUT so far I've had so much support from lead/supervisors/managers and peers around me letting me in on the things of GrubHub and what to do and with great advice on how to move up and around the company if interested. I'm thankful for that. Also it's not all that bad when you're given a certain and ample amount of Grub to use during the week(s) to be fed and not to mention the activities they plan (sometimes inconvenient for most) to keep the work culture fun and growing.

Cons

The high turnaround at GrubHub concerns me at times. They're always hiring and then when they do they look to the outside for talent when they have an abundance of talented & seasoned representatives within the company, no matter the position they hold to move up from where they began.

Also you can work afternoons one quarter and be working late late nights the next....no consistency or set schedule so be prepared for that. If change isn't your thing...then this isn't the place for you. Things change day to day and you must adjust, great quality to have but it can take a toll on the employees and their personal lives as well.

Advice to Management

Place eyes on your current staff for the talent you're looking for to fill other positions within the company and stop hiring externally so much. It discourages a lot of us when we feel there is no room for growth.

6. Great people, lots of transition.

Former Employee - Contractor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Contractor in New York, NY

I worked at GrubHub

Pros

Friendly, hardworking staff. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Lots of corporate changes since Seamless merger.

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Job

Former Employee - Sales Fulfillment Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Fulfillment Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at GrubHub (More than a year)

Pros

Nights and weekends off (unless you work in customer service, the largest dept in the company).
    Decent amount of paid time off.
    Casual dress.
    Stock Options - Only good if you were hired in 2013 or earlier. No longer a benefit.

Cons

Where to start?
    Be ready to take verbal abuse from Sales Reps and be told to break the rules and protocols for your job just to "push things through". Our main job, (we've taken on so many it's hard to keep track sometimes) is to process new restaurant sign up contracts from Sales Reps. It's a lot of virtual paperwork, editing, data entry, and customer service as we have to be a liaison between multiple depts to get these new restaurants live on the site. We also have to communicate with restaurant owners about their menu, missing information that sales people forget to gather, and setting them live on the website. Keeping all that in mind - when sales reps get angry that things aren't being done fast enough or you're not allowing a contract to be completed because vital information is missing, you will take a lot of crap from people who you don't even work for. You will tell your boss about it, and nothing will come of it because he has no power over the sales dept, and HIS boss doesn't care about your concerns, and the cycle will continue. It's not an easy job to balance everything and put up with very strong personalities to begin with, not to mention...

You will be severely underpaid and overworked. The low, non-competitive pay wouldn't be so bad if the people in charge of our dept hadn't consistently given our team more and more work without expanding the team or giving us any help. Since starting this job, responsibilities from other depts have not only been given to us but some teams have been flat out FIRED so the company can cut costs and we can take over their work. Specific example: There was a team of 5 based out of the New York office who were just let go in March so our team of 10 can take over their full time jobs in addition to the work we already do. On our team of 10 people, I believe we've lost about 7 over the last 6 months. The job has become a revolving door because of the low pay, excess work and demands, and zero appreciation or concern from the people in charge of the dept, most of whom happen to be callous and one in particular has literally referred to us as "bodies". As in, "we have enough bodies to get the work done", "A body is a body is a body", etc.

I hope you're ready for none of your valid concerns to actually be dealt with. In response to complaints, our boss flat out told a handful of us several times that Sales Fulfillment is not a career, just a job. What kind of motivator is that? His boss knows he can just replace us with newer people who aren't at the end of their rope. At the same time, I can't really fault our boss because there's virtually no career advancement in all of our dept. He's right. There's no future here for anyone. The ONLY reason people are sticking around is the company used to give a decent amount of stock options upon employment. Those stocks are now worth some money, enough to make our total compensation actually somewhat baseline competitive, so people are sticking around to ride out their accrual. The big problem is that newer people, especially the people hired to replace all of us who've left, do not get that benefit and thus have quickly discovered that there is zero reason to stick around.

If they want to solve their problems by just throwing fresh "bodies" at them, word will soon get out that this company clearly doesn't care about having a proud staff of loyal, hard working employees not to mention actually caring about them or valuing their opinions. If the company did care, SOMEONE with power in my dept would have to answer to 70% of our team leaving over the last 6 months. They would have to start changing their methods and actually fight to get us more help instead of dumping more work on our plate. At the end of the day, the company keeps doing real well because business is great, and there's an insane amount of work they get done with minimal staff and they keep getting away with it.

Advice to Management

I wish management would actually listen, because plenty of us have given our advice but they do not listen to our concerns at all, so I would start with that. Listen and show some actual empathy to people's concerns. When more than half the team is crying during a team meeting because of the stress and workload, maybe get some things done in making them feel better, instead of just waiting for them to quit and move on, which is all they did when this actually happened.

Big change

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GrubHub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

$12 in FreeGrub, good benefits, stock options if you started before the merge.

Cons

Work an 10 hour shift with one hour unpaid lunch and they will schedule your lunch 3 hours into your shift. Work the next 7 hours with just one 10 min breaks. The extra events you use to be able to do can now only be done on vto or on your off days. Customer care is becoming more micro managed and its making a lot of employees unhappy.

Advice to Management

You're going to lose a lot of good employee if you keep treating them like this. YOUR EMPLOYEES ARE UNHAPPY!

Great working experience. Great company to work for. There is always learning opportunities.

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist

I have been working at GrubHub part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good employee benefits, energetic company values.

Cons

High noise volume in the workfloor

Customer Care Specialist

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GrubHub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work. Lots of employee perks

Cons

The inability to move to other departments. If you get hired for Care, you can only move up in care. They will not consider you for other areas.

Advice to Management

Look at your talent and promote internally.

not pleasant the life at a call center

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I have been working at GrubHub part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Time flexible.Part time late at night that makes it easy for me to go to university during daytime. Casual dress code.Great concept and culture. I will myself order at GrubHub if I had the chance.

Cons

Outbound calls. They will measure your performance since the first ring. Focus is on tickets.Management sucks . Supervisor all they want is to show off and make you feel bad when you are not handling the expected amount of tickets. It is extremely unprofessional the way supervisors act, no wonder this company is always hiring. When you go to training they tell you is all about Customer Service. Once you hit the floor if you had no previous experience working at a call center you probably want to focus on Customer Service instead of tickets (Wrong).,,,all they care is about tickets and without further notice or letting you know they will pick on you in a way that makes them look better and you bad.In front of all your coworkers they will let you know why you are so low in tickets, and basically what is the problem with you.They compare you with another employee who has making a living out of a call center for an extended period of time. They not even give you the chance to improve or communicate their goals to you and then go from that. They just want to boss you and make you feel you're doing wrong. Supervisors tell you one day to do one thing and then other the next day. Lots , Lots and lots of inconsistencies. This place is hiring all year round( no wonder).

Advice to Management

If you want employees to help you meet your goals(tickets), communicate to them your expectations. Do not wait until you have some stats to show off and make employees feel bad especially if they are new hires with no previous experience at a call center. Be more professional and stop being so selfish and show off your bossy qualities.
    I had no previous experience working at a call center. I went to training and they told me is all about customer service. We want you to spend time with the customer because is about customer service. Do not waste the money of GrubHub sending people to a training that is totally inconsistent with reality. At least after training be upfront and communicate to your employees what your expectations are instead of waiting to get stats and make ridicule our of an employee. Management is extremely unprofessional.