Grubb & Ellis
www.grubb-ellis.com Santa Ana, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Grubb & Ellis Reviews

Updated May 29, 2014
Grubb & Ellis – Denver – “Denver Colorado”

Grubb & Ellis President, CEO, and Director; Chairman, Grubb & Ellis Equity Advisors Thomas P. (Tom) D'Arcy

Thomas P. (Tom) D'Arcy

Pros:
  • "Work life balance; nice people for the most part; I think the current mgt team is pretty good and they seem to have a few"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Good benefits, good salary, people are very nice to work with"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "There seemed to be a disconnect between upper management and staff"
    in 3 reviews
  • "No support from management; it's all about the brokers"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

This is a great company to begin with

Property Assistant (Current Employee)
    Morristown, NJ

ProsThe work environment is very friendly and comfortable. A great place to begin your career and learn the ins and outs of commercial RE.

ConsThe transition to Newmark grubb knight frank has caused us to lose some of the closeness that we previously had.

Was OK while it lasted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsA relatively laid back, collegial work environment despite being a big commercial real estate firm

ConsBS top leadership, Doesn't exist anymore

Constantly Going Downhill

New York, NY

ProsFamily oriented atmosphere at local sites

Conspoor communication from exec management

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast pace, all business, not a a place to goof off

Transaction Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsGood benefits, good salary, people are very nice to work with

ConsPeople do not know how to have fun. All work and no play. Company is in bankruptcy.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to learn how to control the budgets.

I learned a lot and worked with great people, but there is little or no growth with dwindling compensation.

Senior Investor Services Representative (Current Employee)
    Santa Ana, CA

ProsGreat people to work with.

ConsHealth benefits get worse each year, never received a raise as increases have been frozen since 2008, more responsibilities and promotions given with no compensation for either, layoffs have been regular 2009-2011 so very little job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know it's difficult to manage in today's economic environment, especially in the commercial real estate industry, but it is disheartening when senior management makes sure they make as much as they can and take away the basic needs of their employees such as health coverage and no compensation for added responsibilites or promotions when cost of living rises every year. This lowers the image of the company itself and senior management as individuals.

They will burn you out and kick you to the side after they got their use out of you and then move on to the next victim.

Facilities (Current Employee)
    Santa Ana, CA

ProsIt's a job and they offer medical and dental.

The workers on your level are extremely helpful and overall work well as a team. All are extremely competent and educated.

ConsI have NEVER worked in a job where I felt so belittled by managements comments towards me and so unappreciated for my hard work.

They cut 401K's but then employees receive multiple emails every week about how wonderful the company is doing.

Managers do not give about the lower employees apart from working them to the bone and then having employee meetings on how they still aren't doing enough even though this is one of the most hard working group of people I have ever seen at any job (after the facilities has taken over roles from multiple other departments increasing the work load by 4x).

Employees are made to feel completely unappreciated and inadequate. If you go above and beyond they won't whisper a word of praise, but then when you ask about the raise or promotion you were promised if you did all the work, they're only response is, "If you don't like it, find another job."

They claim that you will only have an additional responsibility for a short period of time until they hire someone for the position, but then decide you do the job good enough and fire two more people and give you their work also. They then start complaining that you're too busy to focus on "customer service" and need to be focusing on that. I'm sorry but when I have the workload of three people that you fired and multiple deadlines from departments you told to give me their tasks also, there is a point where you are completely maxed out. Then again they don't care, bc once again the manager will tell you, "If you don't like it, get a new job."

There is absolutely no possibility of advancing through management. There are multiple highly capable employees with many years of service and they choose to DEMOTE them claiming their position has been cut or claim they can just go find a new job, and then hire a new employee for a similar position instead of hire internally or giving the previous employee the new position.

There is a huge turn around bc all the good employees leave ASAP after seeing how horrible they are treated.

There is a complete disconnect from upper to lower management, and absolutely no productive way to discuss issues with them since they will only turn things around and make you feel even more disgruntled.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Facilities Manager should NOT assume my workload and capabilities just because they were sneaking around and decided to observe me working for 15 minutes around the holidays when the majority of employees are on break and the office is quiet. If you want to make a real judgement, please sit there for a full week that is not during a major winter break.

If you want good customer service, show the employees some appreciation (when in fact the customer service level at the site is superb but senior management still acts as though we're high school kids ignoring customers and spending the whole day on Facebook).

Realize the fact that when you say you want a steak and are willing to pay $5, you will not get a filet mignon. And if you then start yelling at the waiter and belittling him you will most likely not get a steak at all.

Stop with all the sneaking around and having everything be so secretive in the workplace. It only causes more problems than being upfront with the employees on what is going on.

Stop having all these employee meetings on "Customer Service" where all management focuses on is how horrible all the employees are bc one person made a complaint even though one hundred praised us for the work we do.

Employees thrive from positive reinforcement, not from being beat down bc itt has only further lowered the morale.

If you really want decent customer service stop making the employees feel disposable bc the real change starts with a positive and supportive management team which is not anything close to what we have for our current outgoing and competent team of staff.

Great place to learn and start a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Walnut Creek, CA

ProsGreat benefits package compared to other companies. It is easy to accrue vacation days. Fairly flexible when it comes to needing time off.

ConsThere seemed to be a disconnect between upper management and staff. When I first started there was a good vibe within the office but as time went on the changed

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the happiness of employees and offer more encouragement and praise for the successes of those in the work place.

Allowed a great deal of independance

Facility Manager (Current Employee)
    Boise, ID

ProsDirect Manager was in St Louis. This gave me the opprotunity to develope solutions on my own.

ConsThey lost the contratc and I got laid off.

Great commaraderie

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Newport Beach, CA

ProsGreat commaraderie in the work place

ConsSeems to be behind on technology sometimes...

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your support staff that they are appreciated more.

It is a very negative work environment.

Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsThe pay is ok. The work is not hard for what you get paid.

ConsThe management in some departments is AWFUL.
    It is a boys club.
    Very behind on technology.
    The worst is the peoples attitude that work there. This can really make or break a company and work experience. There was no team building and positive feedback, but they sure would give feed back if they had a problem with something.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore teambuilding and positive feedback is needed for their employees. Stop putting up with the "old timers" that are here that will not learn anything new.

Worked for Grubb & Ellis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Grubb & Ellis reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Grubb & Ellis CEO Thomas P. (Tom) D'Arcy. All 51 reviews posted anonymously by Grubb & Ellis employees.