Grubb & Ellis
www.grubb-ellis.com Santa Ana, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Grubb & Ellis Reviews

Updated Mar 16, 2014
Grubb & Ellis – Denver – “Denver Colorado”

Grubb & Ellis President, CEO, and Director; Chairman, Grubb & Ellis Equity Advisors Thomas P. (Tom) D'Arcy

Thomas P. (Tom) D'Arcy

Working Assistant

Associate (Former Employee)
Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Grubb & Ellis

ProsResearch and training great. I was hitched to a helpful broker that wanted to see me succeed.

ConsG&E was not really for me in the sink or swim environment. Maybe expectations as a real estate professional was delusional. After my 3 mo. stipend was up I struggled for the next 7 months and could not take the stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore incentive to get Associate Brokers a piece of commission from established brokers.

Good Company but Musical Chairs at the Corporate C-Level

Vice President, Business Services (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Grubb & Ellis

ProsGood management team right up to the SVP level

ConsCompany had more CEO's than the Yankees had managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe last three CEO's strayed from the basic core beliefs and services that made G&E a solid company.

Average considering the industry has been down.

Property Management (Current Employee)
Darien, IL

I have been working at Grubb & Ellis

ProsGood benefits, decent pay, depending on how much responsibility you have depends on how your hours are. Overall, its average. Not too bad, but not the greatest.

ConsUpper management treats subordinates like crap. Recent layoffs makes for double work, no raises, no promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive credit where credit is due.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low position, College Educated but can't seem to get a leg up.

Porter (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Grubb & Ellis

ProsProperty Management leaves lots of room to work without being micromanaged. They have lots of holidays and PTO days. Benefits kick in right away which is great.

ConsDue to economy they stopped matching 401k's. Some positions get bonus's some don't. There isn't as much room for advancement as they say. After getting a B.S in Business Management I'm still only at an entry level position at a low pay scale.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting people just because they've been there a long time. Loyalty only goes so far. Many people are incompetant as managers and have no business managing anything.

Not a horrible place, but not great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Grubb & Ellis

ProsStrong market presence. Better for more experienced level employees. If you're new to the industry, you'll learn a lot but will have a harder time growing.

ConsPoorly organized, poor communication, no employee cohesion, low morale. A lot of it could be because of the market conditions, but I still feel that it would exist otherwise.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate to employees

Well Run Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I worked at Grubb & Ellis

ProsGrubb and Ellis is a well run company that is in the top of its field in respect from peers and clients.

ConsGrubb and Ellis is much like its peers in that the only people that make decent money are 100% commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice or feedback to the leadership and Grubb & Ellis is to keep running the firm the way it was run before the merger and don't get too caught up in trying to make Grubb & Ellis something it is not.

Favortism, Unncessary Job Titles, and Good Colleagues

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Vienna, VA

I have been working at Grubb & Ellis

ProsGrubb & Ellis offers a good benefits package, a good work-life balance, and your colleagues are amazing and supportive. There are many Brokers who are respectful and acknowledge a job well done. The work can be heavy, but it is never overbearing.

ConsThere is an upper management "clique" in the main regional office that uses favortism when choosing job promotions or tasks that can help you move up in the company. There are MANY people in upper management who can be cleaned out to save company money or perhaps reward the people who are working extra hard. Don't even try complaning to management, they do not take any action. Some Brokers treat their assistants like dogs and have little respect for them. There is little to no communication between offices regarding company standards and the simplest of policies. Many times, upper management goes out of their way to ignore their employees in the office and often demeans their character, addressing them with language unfit for even a child. Moving up in the company is non-existent and there is no learning curve; you will be stuck doing the same minimal tasks year after year with little chance of promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean out the upper management clique in the regional and local office, work on employee moral, and reward hard work and a job well done, not friends. Also, if your employees are willing to take the extra mile to want to learn more, let them.

Tough Market

Research Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Grubb & Ellis

ProsThe company provides a great, relaxed work environment to complete necessary tasks and such. I also enjoy working with most of my current co-workers.

ConsOne major downside is that the abilities and opportunities to move up in the corporate ladder are in my opinion almost non-existent. I think it is very important to know that the work you complete is important and needs to be recognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the existing corporate structure and determine if the leadership and management skills are as they are supposed to be.

Be prepared for egos and some fun!

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Vienna, VA

I worked at Grubb & Ellis

ProsA lot of brokers were great to work with and were very supportive. Many made sure their assistant felt appreciated. Brokers are very social so most of them are easy to get along with and fun to hang out with.

ConsOther brokers were "divas" and had huge egos and treated you like you were stupid and their own personal assistant. These brokers were obviously not very fun to work with. I should say, though, that if you brought this to management's attention, they often did try to address the issue. Turn over in support staffers is high because no one has time to train them and there is no career path beyond assistant.

Advice to Senior ManagementOf course management caters to the brokers, but they really need to take some time and appreciate the support staff as they keep the office running.

Grubb & Ellis your average commercial real estate company

Junior Broker (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Grubb & Ellis

ProsOne of the best reasons to work at Grubb and Ellis is the atmosphere of the working environment. It can be very fast paced and can be pretty exciting. At the same time you also gain a sort of camaraderie with your fellow junior brokers, which can lead to helping each other to finish work every once in a while. The hours are very dependent on how much your senior broker works. The company though is also very willing to let you balance work and your life and you will not entirely not have a social life outside of the office.

ConsThe downsides to working at Grubb & Ellis are mainly concerned in how the field of commercial real estate is in general. There is a strong feeling of competition among all of the brokers which can lead to a lack of information sharing among your colleagues and some brokers get known for holding back information to get ahead. Some of the work of a junior broker is pretty monotonous and if the people in research or interns are too busy that work will be put on you by the more senior brokers. All of this is preet average for commercial real estate in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would encourage them to give out some more compliments for good work and also to actually remeber some of the younger broker's names.

Worked for Grubb & Ellis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Grubb & Ellis reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Grubb & Ellis CEO Thomas P. (Tom) D'Arcy. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Grubb & Ellis employees.