Grubb & Ellis
www.grubb-ellis.com Santa Ana, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Grubb & Ellis Reviews

Updated Mar 16, 2014
Grubb & Ellis – Denver – “Denver Colorado”

Grubb & Ellis President, CEO, and Director; Chairman, Grubb & Ellis Equity Advisors Thomas P. (Tom) D'Arcy

Thomas P. (Tom) D'Arcy

Great

Building Maintenance (Former Employee)

I worked at Grubb & Ellis full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood working with people making them happy

ConsHad a hard time with management because I new more of the place and the peopla

Took a 2 Great Apartment complexes down

Gronuds Keeper, Porter (Former Employee)
Peachtree City, GA

I worked at Grubb & Ellis full-time for more than a year

Prosgood pay benefits, immediate supervisors and staff on properyies were great to work with.

Consnot enough budgeted to run maintence depts or give residents necessary appliances when they broke. divided a full time position into a part time position on 2 properties I worked each property every other day and could not keep up with both pools and groungs cleaning and my numerous other duties ,I burned outafter a year and a half .then i couldn't get full time with either property

Advice to Senior Managementget out of buying apartment complexes stick to commercial .

Commercial Real Estate

I have been working at Grubb & Ellis full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPart of large corporate company, but felt small since affiliate.

ConsCompany benefits not as great as others.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork life balance could be improved.

Former Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Grubb & Ellis

ProsNot many good things about this company as it is no longer around

ConsThe company furloughed the majority of employees and then filed bankruptcy so they would not have to pay severance.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the new owners - appreciate the employees that you have and that work the long hours.

Various commercial real estate job types

Junior Appraiser (Former Employee)
Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Grubb & Ellis full-time for less than a year

ProsGood Experience and opportunity to learn more about commercial real estate

ConsCompany had filed bankruptcy and reorganized me out of a job

Good times before it all crashed

Investment Management (Former Employee)
Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Grubb & Ellis full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAs a legacy employee from the pre-merger Triple Net Properties side of the company, the employees were treated to some decent perks up until around mid-2009. After that, the company was perpetually short of cash due to executive management (JVB, anyone?) pushing to hire and dole out large signing bonuses to investment brokers and appraisers. After awhile, it felt as if we were arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

ConsAs mentioned above, there was no cash to give out bonuses or raises for the final four years before the company went under in early 2012....however, certain members of the executive management team was treated to large bonuses running in the several hundred thousand $$$ range while the lower-level employees got nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee the cons....but it's a moot point, Triple Net Properties/Grubb & Ellis no longer exists

Best job I ever had. I loved it and would return in a heartbeat... wish i could.

Graphic Artist (Former Employee)
Armonk, NY

I worked at Grubb & Ellis full-time for more than 10 years

Prosthey trusted you to do your job with minimal supervision. Treated you as a professional, and although they couldn't afford to acknowledge you monetarily , management was fair and attentive - and appreciative of professional work. You were respected and treated as a human being. Cared about personal life and family. Many more pros than cons, just the state of the economy was really what happened here, not the fault of the company.

ConsWe were let go as a team, its possible that if there were better intervention, we could've survived. better communication as a team would've helped, we might still be there... well, maybe. the economy had a lot to do with the dissolution. The way we were let go could've been handled better. I had 28 years and was given only 2 weeks to settle out with customers, try to clean out almost 30 years of shop material. it really couldn't have hurt to give more time.

Advice to Senior Managementget together with your team and ask what you think would help , what customers want, etc, Listen to those on the lower ranks, those are the ones really doing the work.

I loved my job,the people! the company itself was great to work for! They cared about the people!

Small Parcels Crib (Former Employee)
Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at Grubb & Ellis full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI thought of grubb & ellis as a company and people, that they treated everyone the way that they would want to be treated. no one was treated greater or better.

ConsI really can't think of anything, but getting laid-off! i do understand that was not there fault. lack of needs for my job.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat everyone the same.some day you might not be where you are now and have to start all over again.

This is a great company to begin with

Property Assistant (Current Employee)
Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Grubb & Ellis full-time for more than a year

ProsThe work environment is very friendly and comfortable. A great place to begin your career and learn the ins and outs of commercial RE.

ConsThe transition to Newmark grubb knight frank has caused us to lose some of the closeness that we previously had.

Was OK while it lasted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Grubb & Ellis full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA relatively laid back, collegial work environment despite being a big commercial real estate firm

ConsBS top leadership, Doesn't exist anymore

Worked for Grubb & Ellis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Grubb & Ellis reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Grubb & Ellis CEO Thomas P. (Tom) D'Arcy. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Grubb & Ellis employees.