Grunley Construction Reviews

Accountant, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable

Current Employee - Accounts Payable  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Grunley Construction full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

excellent place to work, and green friendly

Cons

none every thing for the company is great

April 24th Review is correct!

I have been working at Grunley Construction full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company has great benefits and pay. Informative company meetings are held twice a year.

Cons

There is no work-life balance. If you work here, you will work so many hours and at such a pace that your mental and physical well being will eventually become compromised. This company has a high turnover rate and some of the executives manage by way of bullying and intimidation. The employee morale is very low. It's not uncommon for the Salaried Field and Office staff to work 7 days a week.

None...they won't listen anyway.

Grunley Construction is a great place to learn, grow, and thrive.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Grunley Construction full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked on 4 different projects in my 11 year tenure at Grunley. All of which have been prominent, prestigious Landmark Buildings I would have only hoped to have access to before joining Grunley. I believe I am part of one of the best Project Teams in Construction. The support from my team, the involvement of executives in my career planning, and the personal touch of the Grunley Family, make it very hard to even think about working anywhere else.

Cons

It's days like today where I can't come up with a long list of cons. Out here on site - project cruising - it's hard to complain. The mandatory procedures and requirements for project management / reporting / etc... are a bit cumbersome and kind of boring. That's honestly the worst thing I can come up with.

An opportunity to telework 1-2 days per month would be great (I speak on behalf of alot of people I know in the company here). Other-than-that, my only advice to management is, "Don't stop doing what you are doing!"

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Grunley Construction is a Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Grunley Construction

Pros

Grunley has a very good reputation and is able to secure some of the most unique projects in Washington, DC. They are very fair to the subcontractors (very fair!) and are respectful of the clients. It is a fun place to work - upper management is involved on a project level (which is refreshing) and I am lucky to be part of an especially great project team.

Cons

There are some periods of time where we do work alot of hours (that is just the nature of the construction industry though).

Continue to keep Grunley at the forefront with regards to emerging technologies (such as building information modelling) as I personally think this is very important. Also, less mandatory meetings would be nice!!

Lessons Learned

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Grunley Construction

Pros

Many of the people who work there are great and the projects are interesting.

Cons

Also a quick ‘Lessons Learned’ for all of you who may become former employees of the company either by your or the company’s design: If you have Voluntary Life Insurance coverage through UNUM (if you do it will show up as a VLife payroll deduction 12 times during the year) then you need to know that the coverage is both ‘portable’ and ‘convertible’. Portable means the premiums will likely be the same and it is a term insurance policy. Converting your policy means that you want to turn it into a whole life policy which is going to be a higher premium amount that varies depending upon your specific circumstances.

Regardless you should determine which you will want to do and request the appropriate form or form(s) from Grunley right away. Note that Grunley has to fill out a portion of the form first and provide it to you so that you can fill out the rest and send the completed form along with your premium payment to UNUM. There is a limited window of opportunity within which to request, receive, complete, and submit your application form and premium to UNUM after your employment and group coverage comes to an end.

Unless things are different for you than they were for me, don’t expect clarity regarding this matter from your employer/former employer nor that the form(s) will be provided to you without making an explicit request to Grunley that they provide these important form(s) that you require which will either be the Portability form or the Conversion form(s).

You may also have an AD&D policy – but I did not and so have no experiences to share.

Best of luck to you in all your future endeavors

Treat your employees with respect, value them, and understand that without them you are nothing.

Good, but you can get stuck doing the same thing over and over

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Rockville, MD

I worked at Grunley Construction

Pros

Projects are usually great, Benefits are great, and generally speaking, most of the people working there are good people to be around.

Cons

Advancement comes slowly, but can come if you work hard.
    If you are looking to advance into the upper echelons of the company, this would be difficult.

Profit sharing for all employees, especially field staff.

OK

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Grunley Construction

Pros

Get a bonus every year. Get to work on good just sites. Management is generally fair. Decent salary and good benefits.

Cons

Management often has no idea what is actually going on. Promotions are at random and not even promotions at times.

Pay more attention to what is actually going on. Realize when you have given someone a promotion. Talk to your employees more.

Work people into the ground is Grunley's philosophy

I have been working at Grunley Construction full-time

Pros

There aren't any pros at all.

Cons

No work-life balance. They expect you (at least the people in the field -- maybe Quinot in the office) to work 7 days a week; they don't care if you don't have a life -- as long as you work non-stop to get the work done and make them look good, that's what matters to them. You could have a coronary from the non-stop stress, but hey, what's a little bit of physical illness in trying to make them look good. An employee can be an honest, hard working person but Grunley will take advantage of that so watch out. If you want to be worked into the ground and become totally burned out, then Grunley is for you. And salary -- doesn't matter how much you make a year -- when you calculate it by how many hours you work, you're lucky if you are making minimum wage. But again, if you're unlucky enough to be on salary -- they will make you work endless hours. Trust me Grunley, these positive reviews that are on Glassdoor are bogus -- the real story is what I've written. Employees morale is scraping the ground.

Quit worrying about making tons of money and trying to buy a second or third home. Think about the employees who are working themselves into the ground and literally have no life outside of Grunley.

awesome company

I have been working at Grunley Construction

Pros

everything fine! i do not have any suggestions. They take care of their employees and I am very happy to be here. Anyone planning to work here will be very happy :)

Cons

there is not really a con. Again a very good company to work for. they treat their employees with respect. I am very happy to be part of the team.

Worked for Grunley Construction? Contribute to the Community!