Grupo Santander

Updated October 21, 2014
2.9

Grupo Santander CEO Javier Marín
Javier Marín

Pros
  • Great facilities allowing work-life balance (easy commute if you like to drive and have a parking place) (in 9 reviews)

• Get handed a lot of responsibilities and thus learn a lot (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Expected to work long hours, regardless of what's going on (in 6 reviews)

• Career development weighs heavily on political relationships rather than merit (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Allegedly a meritocracy, really mediocrity

I have been working at Grupo Santander full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Santander has sincerely made the commitment to staying in the US, and is looking to grow after turning-around a dysfunctional entity in the US (fmr Sovereign Bank). Conservative staffing policy will prevent layoffs unless the US has a severe economic relapse.

Cons

Extremely conservative philosophy in regards to expenses unfortunately extends to employee compensation. You might say the turnaround from being insolvent to several quarters of growth was made "on the employees backs". Base compensation was frozen across-the-board for several years while benefits were substantially cut, to the point that they had to give some benefits back over the past couple of years, or there would have been a massive employee exodus.

Their staffing model has been to heavily invest in young (read: cheap) talent through their their Santander Universities outreach initiative, and heavily in technology standardizing business processes. This way, when an employee leaves, they could just plug-in another fresh graduate.

Anyone looking to rise through Santander US corporate ranks could expect to do so only in Boston.

Stop making 'penny wise and pound foolish' decisions, and you might be able to develop and retain the talent that you are always talking about cultivating.

They work you like dogs and treat you even worse.

Former Employee - Contracts Manager in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Contracts Manager in Reading, PA

I worked at Grupo Santander full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Your manager may be American, but upper management is not and don't care if you like it or not.

Cons

They criticize and chastise the employees in any setting (group or private).
    They think employees should work like crazy and be happy to have a job.

I HATE MY JOB

Current Employee - Bank Manager in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Bank Manager in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Grupo Santander full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are really no pros

Cons

I have worked at a few banks, and this job is the worse I have ever had. Excessive conference calls and abusive management is all you get here. Stay away

If you really want to make this a great company, talk to the employees. Everybody hates their job

The best part of my time at Santander is being able to write this scathing review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Grupo Santander full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My paycheck was the only think to look forward to.

Cons

Where do I begin? I'll start by saying that if you are seriously considering a job at this bank, please reconsider. The management is terrible and this starts at the top. Everyone is scared of their boss and their boss is scared of upper management. There is a VERY negative culture. It is both unprofessional and demeaning. Every single employee at the company is micro managed. This isn't limited to just one position but is engrained in the company protocol. My paycheck is the only thing that kept me around for the time I was there. It is a sweatshop and you'd be best served to RUN not walk away from a job offer. There are plenty of other banks to work for. THEY 100% earned their awful glassdoor rating.

Fire the management and start over.

Frustrating middle management, tons of micromanagement, and large scale inefficiencies

Current Employee - Personal Banker in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in New York, NY

I have been working at Grupo Santander full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A decent bank with decent products but nothing earth shattering. The incentive plan is good once you start hitting 100% of goals. Competitive salary. At the lower levels of the organization there is a meritocracy. I have seen people promoted from within the organization quite a bit

Cons

Too many conference calls and reports. Some districts have 3 conference calls a day to discuss daily and future activities and those don't include regional calls to go over lending and investment pipelines. Constant nagging and constant threats. It's a brutally micromanaged commercial bank. I foresee some changes in middle management to get leaner as an organization. The turnover in the company is at insane levels. My job family has a 62% attrition rate...

Morale is very low. Enough with the pestering and threats. We get it. It's up to you to start delivering on your promises

Too political and inefficient

I worked at Grupo Santander full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are very generous with pay! Plus if you know the right people you can really go places or get a job in a totally unrelated field.

Cons

Very political - it's all about hierarchy and who you know.
    And I've never worked in such a hostile environment as this - it's all about shifting blame, bullying, backstabbing and incompetent. Most people I've worked with feel they are "entitled" to everything and if you say no to them they gang up on you.

Take a hard look at their performances - revenue vs expense and hire competent people who are real "managers" and understand how businesses operate in the real world!

It's Okay

Current Employee - Mid Range Account Manager in North Richland Hills, TX
    Current Employee - Mid Range Account Manager in North Richland Hills, TX

I have been working at Grupo Santander full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for non degree holders, good 401k and health care, promote quickly in collections only

Cons

A great collector does not make a great manager, the customers can be VERY ignorant about their loans, Be More policy will be company's undoing, coworkers are ignorant and ghetto, promotions to other departments seem raced or sexual preference based, and if you start in collections it is extremely difficult to get out unless you know someone

Get educated, managers should have to have degrees and so should AVP's and higher

Internship - Grupo Santander

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Miami, FL

I worked at Grupo Santander as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great experience, good networking, and excellent on your resume.

Cons

They use their interns, it's basically free labor for them. I was warned about them using their interns, and how people had been with them before and not offered a job, I insisted I would be better than them, but ended up like I was warned. They will promise you a job and ask you constantly if you are really going to stay at the end of the internship, but they wont keep you, it's just so you give your best.

Get organized, follow on your promises.

Worst place to work

Former Employee - Not Important in North Richland Hills, TX
    Former Employee - Not Important in North Richland Hills, TX

I worked at Grupo Santander as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The position did pay very well.

Cons

While being trained, every single employee tells you a different way to do the same process. The turnover is astronomical. Never have I seen so many people there one day and gone the next. They are dishonest about everything in trying to protect their interests. The Feds will eventually shut them down.

Get management that did not obtain their degree from University of Phoenix. They are micro-managers and sheep herders. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and vice versa. Culture and values???? They don't exist.

Sovereign Bank IT Senior Manager

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Grupo Santander full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

International experience. Focus and straight forward management.

Cons

Balance professional life vs personal life. Lack of clear professional career

Grupo Santander Photos