Guaranteed Rate

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
3.7

Victor F. Ciardelli III

Pros
  • The technology is very good, allowing work from home as an option (in 11 reviews)

• Loan officer is able to sell instead of "babysitting" file through close (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • On weekly calls he rants about how loan officers should know guidelines better than underwriters (in 23 reviews)

• Upper management needs to look at what those numbers actually stand for (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great tech; Comfortable atmosphere

Current Employee - On-boarding Support Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - On-boarding Support Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guaranteed Rate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The biggest pro is the large group of like-minded, hard-working individuals that make up the company. Having a solid group of peers makes coming to work enjoyable. There is great technology at this company. The business thrives on it. Loan Officers especially have an advantage with it all. There is an extraordinary wealth of resources that are available within an internal site and a support center. These two things are invaluable and really help to advance the knowledge of the employee base as a whole. No matter what position you have, you can further your knowledge with this site or with the incredible training department. It’s a great way to make progress in your own career.

Cons

Benefits are incredibly expensive. A number of options, but even the poorest coverage will dent your paycheck. I also think the 401k match is low for a company of this size. If you are not at the corporate office or within the Chicago area, the support can also seem lacking. A major disconnect from company culture that way.

Make sure that regional support is clarified and strongly built up to fit the same standards as corporate/Chicago area. Try to find a way to improve benefits packages or company contribution.

Dec 23, 2014VP - Client Satisfaction

Guaranteed Rate is filled with motivated people looking to make a difference in the mortgage industry regardless of the department they work in. With top notch technology, the Loan officers are set ... More

Workplace where one can learn so much

Current Employee - Loan Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Loan Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guaranteed Rate

Pros

A fast paced and very dynamic environment to work in. It’s always a great company to work for. You learn a lot and you learn a lot about the industry.

Cons

We don’t get a lot of sick time or personal days.

We don’t get a lot of feedback because everyone is very busy. So we do not know if we are doing a good job or not.

Dec 8, 2014VP - Client Satisfaction

Thanks for the review and recommendation! The mortgage industry is a nonstop train of hard work, fast paced environments, and constant change. We are glad you're enjoying your time and will look into ... More

Company Built for its Customers AND Employees

Current Employee - Vice President of Business Development in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President of Business Development in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guaranteed Rate

Pros

- Laid back and non-militant organizational environment.
    - Entrepreneurial production environment and self-controlled growth opportunity.
    - Private entity, absent of structural restrictions on individual growth and promotion, often seen in publicly
            traded firms, due to extreme compensation policies and shareholder interest.
    - Organizational environment serves both customer and employee satisfaction equally; satisfied employees
            naturally attribute to consumer and business partner satisfaction.

Guaranteed Rate is a company built not only for the consumer, but equally beneficial to the employee. One’s success is self-controlled and those whom are self-motivated, with a high work ethic, have endless opportunity.

Cons

Employee benefits are less attainable and significantly more expensive than larger and/or public organizations, however expected. The workdays can often be demanding and require 24/7 attention, which can be a difficult initial adjustment if one is use to structured operations.

Dec 5, 2014VP - Client Satisfaction

In order for our customers to be happy, the employees have to be happy and want to produce. GR does this just right and it shows with the laid back environment, perks and resources available for LOs ... More

I have been working at Guaranteed Rate

Pros

very good company with good support

Cons

cant think of any right now.

Used to be a really great company

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Guaranteed Rate

Pros

GReat culture for LO's provided you can do 5 or more loans per month. If not, you may want to look elsewhere

Cons

Operations are minimum staffed at times and can create late closings due to turn times. Seems like operations doesn't bother to look at contingency and coe dates...

Challenging work, strong culture, and amazing people!

I have been working at Guaranteed Rate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked at companies ranging from massive Fortune 50 corporations down to tiny internet startups, and both ends of the spectrum have their pros and cons. Guaranteed Rate, however, is in the perfect sweet spot by being both a sizable company with the resources and stability that brings and also being a nimble and entrepreneurial organization that is truly revolutionizing an industry. The work I do is fast-paced and challenging, and I look forward to the new experiences I face each day. I have never worked with a better group of employees that simultaneously push and support each other for the very best results. There is a strong emphasis on overcoming obstacles to get things done…and then celebrating those wins together with the GR family.

Cons

I just wish some of the remote locations had access to amazing perks available at GR corporate HQ. The rooftop deck, the professional chefs, the gym, the nurse, the massage therapist, etc... Sounds more like a luxury resort than an office!

As the company grows like crazy, please stay close to the needs and feedback of employees. If you do so, I see big things in store for GR for many years to come.

Nov 24, 2014VP - Client Satisfaction

GR is filled with great resources and people who are always looking to push to the next level. We are glad you are enjoying your time with us and look forward to the future. Thanks for the ... More

Open company that gives you a great system to work in with great support

Current Employee - Mortgage Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Mortgage Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Guaranteed Rate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like the commitment to systems and support. I really like the level of transparences. For example everyone’s numbers are broadcasted. So you can see how everyone is doing. In the past I have worked for a major bank, brokerages and mid-sized bank. It’s usually standard practice where managers hold you up to an unrealistic expectation. If you’re good you know what your abilities are and what your output potential is. Here I know what the Top LO, MC and LCs are doing. So I know who and where to compare myself too. It makes me push myself so I can continue to produce over $30MM a year. I really appreciate that, everyone one knows what everyone’s doing.

Cons

Really the only thing is what I noticed is that in regards to policies, it’s a big cumbersome animal. Most of our policies make sense, but occasionally we see one implicated that doesn’t make sense. Because this is a company that is geared out around LOs, they usually get hammered out. We don’t really know about the decision making process. The closing process is so slow while everything else is really fast. We need to figure out a way to improve that.

Stremline the closing process. For a company that is SO good at everything else, it doesn't make sense as to why it takes 2-3 full business days to get a file from CTC to docs at title and HUD approval.

Dec 3, 2014VP - Client Satisfaction

We couldn't agree more about the support and commitment that GR provides to their employees. The mortgage business is a competitive field and we are pleased that seeing others excel in the field ... More

Business that continues to provide

Current Employee - Senior Loan Officer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Loan Officer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Guaranteed Rate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My team of 6 and I heard that GR was looking for Loan Officers in the east coast and we interviewed in Chicago and got the job. One thing that is pretty amazing about GR, when we came into the business we didn’t know much and overnight pricing improved as well as technology. When I was in the Presidents Club, Victor made it a point that VPs are important, which I respect and agree with him completely. It’s been a great run so far with GR and out of everything that looks like GR but none compare to it.

Cons

Condo is difficult to deal with, but GR is doing great to improve. It’s more positive than a negative overall to be honest.

Nov 24, 2014VP - Client Satisfaction

Always great to hear stories of GR bringing in people and making them feel right at home. We hope you're enjoying your time with us! Thanks for the review and recommendation.

A business model that works!

Current Employee - Vice President Mortgage Lending
    Current Employee - Vice President Mortgage Lending

I have been working at Guaranteed Rate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The resources are terrific. There is so much content and there are always answers for just about anything on the intranet. The sales coaching and marketing is great, I can have so much more time to sell. I am thoroughly impressed with the POD team members and how much they really know. My team are all very motivated to put the customers first whether it means coming in early or staying late or answering emails after hours. The culture is inspiring that rewards good smart work.

Cons

As with any large organization, there can be layers of approval. This has not held anything up as turn times are terrific, however, we could be even faster if some of the redundant work was consolidated.

Nov 26, 2014VP - Client Satisfaction

The amount or resources and content that we provide our employee and specifically loan officers is astounding. We set them up for success and can tell you have taken full advantage of it thus far ... More

GRate

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guaranteed Rate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility in schedule, able to work from home if needed. Fun events and nice perks for employees.

Cons

Pay is below average. Not a lot of hands on training available, unless you have a co-worker who is willing to help.

Better pay=better employees.