Guardian Alarm

Add Photos

Douglas Pierce

Security Guard Receptionist

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThe pros with working with Guardian Alarm is that you get a lot of different experiences , you get to work with a lot of different people and companies and it works around anyone schedule .

ConsThe con with working with Guardian Alarm is the pay

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees more and make more improvements.

One of the poorest in my career

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsFlexible Schedule, some supervisors are helpful.

ConsHigh health care cost, poor management, no potential for promotion within the company. No merit pay increase and this company does not value its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your staff, stop telling them the company has no debt but then dont reward them for the hard work they do. (a picnic annually is not a reward, half of us cant go because of work schedules). Repair the interior of the building, and conduct reviews more often on your supervisors and managers. I have seen people work here for less than a week and QUIT, they dont take this company serious an any way! Your employees are majority unhappy, some are there just because of senority.

this company could improve on many aspects

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsI currently work in the customer service department and have been for over 2 years.
    Starting pay is great, $11+ an hour, and you get an extra $1 for working afternoons or midnight shift.
    Every year the company has a picnic for their employees and immediate family at Wiard's Orchard, free food, free drinks, and a bunch of things for the kids such as pony rides and a giant slide.

ConsFor being a security company, security for your vehicle is pretty much nonexistent unless you park in the front, and those have very limited spaces. The president of the company had all 4 of his tires stolen.
    Medical benefits are expensive, $50+ a week
    Pay raises are virtually non existance, only .25¢ a year if that, pay cap is $16+, $17+ if you're afternoons or midnights, to reach that you have to be here 20+ years. And they do not give a pay increase for advancement within the customer service area. They also don't give you any pay incentive for being bilingual.
    When it comes to trainig all they do is teach you the basics, the rest you have to learn on your own or you have to rely on the help of other reps making it very difficult to some to learn how to do things properly.
    They give you Paid Time Off and Vacation like any other job, but when it comes time to requesting a day off they make it nearly impossible for you to use due to staffing issues and the fact that they refuse to let 2 people have vacation or time off in the same day.
    In the afternoon shift they start lunches 2 hours into your shift, who wants to take lunch 2 hours into their shift? And when it comes to breaks and lunches they don't like 2 people being out at the same time, regardless of how many people we have on the floor already, even on the slow days.
    Not to sound racist but the afternoon shift also favors a certain "color" in fact if you are that color you can get away with a whole lot such as not doing your job, taking multiple breaks while others work, and not doing your job correctly.
    They are too strict when it comes to uniforms, even though they offer to sell you Guardian Alarm shirts for over $20 each but you are ONLY allowed to wear those items on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
    Depending on who the supervisor, or supervisors are, they are nowhere to be found when you need them, and 9 out of 10 times they have no idea what they're doing, the fact that they spend practically the entire shift in the manager's office doesn't help, plus they get upset if we try calling them because we need help with something. Again this is not for all the supervisors, just certain ones.
    The computers that we use are outdated, and they're constantly switching out programs for new items which they "claim" work better but in reality it's a step backwards

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company should focus on upgrading their equiptment as well as the term if it ain't broke, don't fix it when it comes to a lot of programs that we use. The company should also offer better raises and cheaper benefits to it's employees. We are the front lines when it comes to dealing with the current customers and we are the ones who put a huge impact on how others view this company, even though it may not seem so our job is very difficult and the company should do more to recognize that. The company should also offer more extensive training instead of just the basics.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Family owned and operated, but still has its flaws.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsThe atmosphere is very family oriented. You will see the owners walking around every day, and they will talk to you like you are one of the family. Benefits are not too bad either.

ConsWhen working in customer service, everything is scrutinized. When you are finally supposed to make sales, it gets even worse. You are constantly supposed to be trained in different areas, and if you do not get it , you're in for an earful. Slight revolving door when it comes to employees.

Great local mid-size company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

Pros3 divisions in one company. Company catered lunch and breakfast once per month at MI HQ. Several long term employees who have 20+ years with the company. Strong leadership and new technology. HR is very responsive to employee needs/concerns. Vacation, medical benefits and company size is just right (you're not a number but treated like a person).

ConsUniforms are required for some positions. Company is modernizing but the pace could be faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employees informed of all changes in advance.

At times management is unfair to their hourly employees

(Former Employee)

ProsThe hourly people who you work alongside.
    Paid time off and unpaid time off
    Some of the managers are kind and are willing to assist.

ConsWe had to work with no breaks.
    Manager's watch employees from home using CCTV.
    Lack security for employees, some of them had vehicles stolen from the parking lot.
    Not enough people working and high stress environment.
    Hard to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect. Hire more people.

You will be constantly reminded of the high turnover if you stick around more than a few weeks.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsDecent pay (11+/hr)
    You will understand how the alarm industry works inside and out.
    It will also help you decide if you like sitting for 8+ hours a day talking through a headset.

ConsUnorganized staff
    Poor atmosphere
    No room for advancement
    Unhappy clientele
    Cannot even read a book on absolute downtime
    Constantly reminded that you are being watched by 10+ security cameras.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize how normal it is for supervisors to tell people there is such a high turnover rate yet nothing is done to change that fact.

Worked for Guardian Alarm? Contribute to the Community!