Guardian Building Products Distribution

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014
1.7

Steven D. Ziessler

Company didn't care about its employees

Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Greenville, SC

I worked at Guardian Building Products Distribution full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Convenient to go to work, some company perks such as free tickets to go to events at St Francis Wellness Arena.

Cons

no promotion, no raises and no personal growth at this company

Upper Management didn't care about their employees. They only care about the bottom line if the company is profitable then turned around to sell the company.

Worst run and worst company to work for.

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Guardian Building Products Distribution full-time

Pros

The bottom employees are great, even though they are treated horrible.

Cons

There are constant mixed signals from corp. all the way down. The people run the place like wal mart. They are bleeding money like crazy.

treat everyone with respect. This coming from a manager.

Thank goodness they got bought.

Former Employee - District Sales Manager

Pros

Some great coworkers. Health insurance was good. I was promoted quickly, although part of that was because my previous company got bought by them.

Cons

Mercurial upper management, has changed since I worked there. It was like Office Space, I literally had 5 bosses. Someone was always ticked at me. Severance agreement sold my soul. They are famous for suing people, but apparently never won. They did it just to cause trouble. The fiberglass insulation manufacturing side got bought by Knauf Insulation recently. I was told 'we don't sell on quality, we sell on price' repeatedly when I had major quality problems. Credit department always said no, yet I was pushed for more sales. I got tired of asking. I gained a ton of weight and got depressed. Don't rush to get hired here, you can do better.

Don't micromanage. Don't make people feel like children.

Was a great company, not now

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Guardian Building Products Distribution full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Guardian still has a few very talented employees with obviously endless optimism that the ongoing attrition and unfocused leadership hasn't conquered.

Cons

management at all levels are tremendously disconnected from changing business trends and needs of customers, nor do they seem to care, the current mindset that customer relationships have no value has been devastating, at the corporate office level the old Guard silos information within their cubicles, hampering the team performance and goal attainment, salaries have been essentially flat for nearly all since 2008, a bonus system is in place with vague to nonexistent criteria shared with employees with largely nonexistent bonuses for most employees

pursue the first opportunity you have outside Guardian

Change in culture caused me to leave

Former Employee - Mid Level Manager
    Former Employee - Mid Level Manager

I worked at Guardian Building Products Distribution full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great employees, really some very talented minds in the rank and file. GBP has the potential to own the business due to vertical and horizontal integration. They have top tier products to sell on the distribution side of the business. Best thing that ever happened in my career was coming to this company, equally so in leaving.

Cons

Poor pay, reduction of benefits, arbitrary reviews, no internal growth potential, no investment in employee or customer education. The worst item is that Guardian use to have an entrepreneurial approach to business, this is not the case today. Layer after layer of management to make basic decisions. At one time I had two people between me and the president of the company. With out a demotion, at last count I had 6-7 people that were directly managing me, each one trying to justify their jobs. There is no real interest in serving the customer or the employees, this management serves themselves. They came from a variety of industries and after destroying an excellent company are moving on to other industries. Basically mercenaries.

Shut out the lights when you leave.

Dysfunctional at best

Former Employee - Mid Level Management (Corporate) in Greer, SC
    Former Employee - Mid Level Management (Corporate) in Greer, SC

I worked at Guardian Building Products Distribution full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Still a few talented folks at GBP, but most have gone by now (the ones that are left are very overworked and under appreciated).

Cons

Low pay; unrealistic expectations; disconnection between senior leadership and everyone else in the organization; leadership team intent on throwing everyone else under the bus - no accountability for the state of the business.

Wake up before it's too late (not sure it isn't already)

This company seems like they are pulling out of distriburtion

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Guardian Building Products Distribution

Pros

Used to be a good company when the housing market was strong, then as it started to slip the vp in charge of sales bailed and transferred to another division and left Faulkner holding the reins. Things have gotten much worse for anyone working there.

Cons

Duane Faulkner has no regard for his people. I was laid off this year which is fine with me, I received severance and after six months I got a better job with another company. Since then, Guardian is forcing all their employees to sign a strict non compete which prevents them from leaving Guardian( either voluntarily or if they are terminated) and working in the industry for one year. They fired a branch manager and all the salesmen from one of their top performing branches for not signing the non compete. That suggests to me they could be pulling out of distribution and that it is cheaper to dump the employees with no severance for not signing rather than laying them off.

If you are a branch manager, start looking for a job now, if you are in the head office keep playing the game that allows incompetent people to stay in positions of power. Things are going to get worse before they get better.

Slippery company to work for. Questionable ethics.

I worked at Guardian Building Products Distribution

Pros

They are very aggressive with market pricing. You won't be frustrated by not being able to compete on price.

Cons

They don't live up to promises made to employees. You aren't in control of most pricing decisions and will have to get management approval.

Live up to your commitments. Stop going back on your promises to employees. Implement a fair incentive policy with opportunity to make more money via bonus or other incentive money.

Sprint from this company

Former Employee - Corporate Manager in Greer, SC
    Former Employee - Corporate Manager in Greer, SC

I worked at Guardian Building Products Distribution

Pros

Because you simply can't find anywhere else to work. There are many better options in the Greenville metro area.

Cons

The cut rate GE philosophy used throughout the company. More than one Senior manager said they believe strongly in the GE philosophy of cutting the bottom 10% of employees every year. The veil of secrecy over all aspects of how and why decisions are made is very frustrating.

At least pretend to care about competitive pay. Honor your promises and treat people with dignity instead of ranting and yelling at those who are actually succeding and performing their best.

Guardian

I worked at Guardian Building Products Distribution

Pros

Managers had an open door policy.

Cons

To much emphasis on products

Start teaching more how to sell over the phone, rather than spending so much time on product knowledge.