Guardian Building Products Distribution

Reset
2.8
Steven D. Ziessler

1. What a difference!

Pros

Guardian is definitely going in the right direction with the right leadership team and vision. It is a distinct difference from the past and I'm very glad to be part of it.

Cons

I really don't see many issues going forward. All the obvious bad policies are quickly being changed for the good.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and direction.

2. About Time!

I have been working at Guardian Building Products Distribution full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The old President (Pre March 2015) was in charge for several years and destroyed a great company. He was as bad a leader as you could ever have. The good news he is gone, and back to the industry where he came from. The Pros of the new leader is he comes from this industry, understands how it works, and knows how to be successful within it. He is bringing back talent that left, as well as bringing in new talent from the industry, and is positioning this company to be an industry leading company and employer. That also means that young people will be able to learn from the best in this industry, and can become that themselves. Great industry to work in, and now a great company to work for ... again.

Cons

The fix comes with a lot of change, and that takes time. The difference from before is the changes were to force this company to be like a companies from other industries, without the systems and processes to do it ... but that did not matter to the former President. NOW the changes are fixing those issues of the recent years, setting the foundation and being able to move from there.

Advice to Management

Careful on how fast you want vs how fast you can actually have the change.

"A change for the better"

Pros

Guardian Building Product’s strengths have always been our strong leadership and our valued employees, which translated into making it a great place to work, with outstanding customer service. In recent years, however, ill-advised changes in top management and business philosophy, slowly eroded those strengths as the company became a typical “White Collar Corporation” with "Ivory Tower” leadership. It abandoned its customer base, and lost touch with its own employees. Well, I’m proud to say that is no longer the case. A positive change in senior leadership has taken place in recent months, moving back to a “Blue Collar” business acumen, and a new found appreciation of our employees. “Common Sense” business, I like to call it. (Knowing who you are and whom you are not as a company, and where you want to go, while valuing those around you, whom are steadfast in getting you there.) In just a very short time, this change has restored the faith of our employees and our loyal customer base. A fresh new business approach to our product distribution, and a recognition and enjoyment of the good qualities of our employees have now made Guardian a great place to work. A GBP employee now feels respected and valued, and a connected part of the company.

Cons

The only Con I have now is that change, even for the good, doesn’t happen overnight. We’ve lost a good bit of business under the old regime and it’s going to take time to earn customer trust and business again. I do feel fully confident that our new leadership is committed to get us back where we belong, a top company in our industry.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, avoid change for change sake, continue to rebuild confidence with our customers, and most importantly our people!

5. Don't judge from the recent past!!!

Current Employee - Senior Management in Greer, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Management in Greer, SC

Pros

Since our new CEO, Tom Highley, came on board, the company is re-energized and focused on the success of the company, its' employees and service of our customers. I am so glad I stayed.

Cons

As a company, our biggest challenge is that we didn't start this sooner.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, empowering your employees.

6. Positive Changes and Bright Future

Pros

Good company moving in a positive direction. Lots of change in the past year. Most of the leadership team is new including a new CEO in 2015. Many long term issues are being cleaned up by the current management team. I suspect that many of the negative comments on this site come from people that are being held accountable for results, or did not understand the true need for change within the company.

Cons

Its a smaller company, so there aren't as many opportunities as some of the larger companies. Technology isn't quite as far along as it needs to be, but they are working on it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue the positive changes.

They Appreciate No One

Current Employee - Procurement in Greer, SC
    Current Employee - Procurement in Greer, SC

I have been working at Guardian Building Products Distribution full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A great place to work until new president took over.

Cons

change is not always a good thing

Advice to Management

appreciate people who have been there and know the business and don't work them to death.

8. District Sales Manager

Pros

There are no positives with this company any longer.

Cons

The division of this company I was involved with was continually raided to make GBP appear more viable. Great employees began to leave shortly after the regime change to the current CEO. Very talented employees have left in droves. This was a great company to work for a few years ago. It is a dead end now.

Advice to Management

Seek employment elsewhere.

Company didn't care about its employees

Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Greenville, SC

I worked at Guardian Building Products Distribution full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Convenient to go to work, some company perks such as free tickets to go to events at St Francis Wellness Arena.

Cons

no promotion, no raises and no personal growth at this company

Advice to Management

Upper Management didn't care about their employees. They only care about the bottom line if the company is profitable then turned around to sell the company.

10. Worst run and worst company to work for.

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Guardian Building Products Distribution full-time

Pros

The bottom employees are great, even though they are treated horrible.

Cons

There are constant mixed signals from corp. all the way down. The people run the place like wal mart. They are bleeding money like crazy.

Advice to Management

treat everyone with respect. This coming from a manager.

11. Thank goodness they got bought.

Former Employee - District Sales Manager
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager

Pros

Some great coworkers. Health insurance was good. I was promoted quickly, although part of that was because my previous company got bought by them.

Cons

Mercurial upper management, has changed since I worked there. It was like Office Space, I literally had 5 bosses. Someone was always ticked at me. Severance agreement sold my soul. They are famous for suing people, but apparently never won. They did it just to cause trouble. The fiberglass insulation manufacturing side got bought by Knauf Insulation recently. I was told 'we don't sell on quality, we sell on price' repeatedly when I had major quality problems. Credit department always said no, yet I was pushed for more sales. I got tired of asking. I gained a ton of weight and got depressed. Don't rush to get hired here, you can do better.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage. Don't make people feel like children.

RSS Feed </> Embed