Guardian Industries

Updated February 21, 2015
3.1

Guardian Industries President and CEO Ron Vaupel
Ron Vaupel

Pros
  • Guardian has good benefits including health insurance and 401k matches (in 10 reviews)

• Good 401k match once vested with low expense ratio options (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance - ALL WORK (in 7 reviews)

• very political - if you are not part of the "good ol' boys club", don't expect to move up (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Undergoing Leadership & Cultural Change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Guardian Industries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

US based privately held Corporation with a Global footprint in Glass Manufacturing. Other business units include Siegel Roberts Group Global, as well as others. With the passing of the beloved Mr. D, Guardian is rediscovering their way within the context of MBM and new leadership from Koch Industries.

Cons

The cherished Guardian Way was the unwritten business philosophy of Mr. D, which was shared by all of his employees. At the core of this philosophy was abhorrence towards bureaucracy (or wasteful) business practices. With any leadership or cultural changes, there will always objectors to the change, as well as folks that may over-react (in possible a bureaucratic way) to the expressed expectations. For those folks, which need well-defined duties, Guardian will not be a good fit for them. If you're nimble and adaptable, the sky''s the limit! Pay and compensation is commensurate with other glass manufacturing businesses.

Be weary of surrounding yourself with leaders that talk, but do not walk among the troops. Think George Washington!

Do more work, make less money

I worked at Guardian Industries

Pros

Company is financially sounds. Great company for someone is a management position. Somewhat laid back atmosphere, and most employees are very friendly.

Cons

If not in a management position, your pay is less than what most other companies offer. Those who run the company will lie to the employees about changes being made. There is a lot of micromanagement in the departments. There is plenty of room for those who want to earn a paycheck and do minimal work, but those who do the work, are overloaded and not offered help or compensation. Everyone is replaceable. You are just a number

Great place to work for in IT as a developer

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Guardian Industries full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the people I work with here, they're all very nice and easy to get along with and very helpful with things. Their benefits are excellent and they seem to really care about their employees. I love that the Koch brothers have such a vested interest in the company and want us to adopt their MBM philosophy. I think MBM will really help the company do a better job in the marketplace.

I've been working here almost a year now and it has been great. Great work/life balance with my particular manager, flex time, business casual environment, get to work from home when needed (within reason of course). Many free events at the palace, too, in their suite is a nice bonus, too!

Cons

Some of the other managers don't like to give you the ability to work from home, but that's not a problem for me, just something I've heard others complain about. I'm not sure how easy it is to move up in this environment, but it seems like it's possible.

Just keep listening to your employees, keep up the good work with great benefits and everything.

Could be better

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Galax, VA
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Galax, VA

I have been working at Guardian Industries

Pros

Family type atmosphere, they are very big on culture and morals

Cons

Too many supervisors who disagree on what needs to be done leaving employees wondering who to listen to. Pay too low for the work.

Let everyone know the order of the totem pole and who they should listen to.

You know what you sign up for

Current Employee - Tagger in Carleton, MI
    Current Employee - Tagger in Carleton, MI

I have been working at Guardian Industries

Pros

Good money, mostly good people, easy work, good benefits

Cons

Swing shift, hot summers, management inner circles, only two sick days before it effects your bonus

Move to straight shifts, offer some kind of tuition assistance

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Scientist in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Scientist in Rochester, NY

I worked at Guardian Industries full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great ethics and great work

Cons

Top management was an issue

Look into your heart

Worst job ever! Don't do it!

Former Employee - Glass Packer in Carleton, MI
    Former Employee - Glass Packer in Carleton, MI

I worked at Guardian Industries full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, 401k matching, good health insurance, and short term disability. The benefits are good enough to trap you if you have a family.

Cons

As an hourly employee at Guardian Carleton you will be bullied by management, work rotating 12 hour shifts with mandatory overtime, have no chance of advancement (unless you are related to someone in management), and in general, be treated like an animal.
        You will work 12 hour shifts and rotate from nights to days every month. In addition, you will be forced to work overtime on your scheduled days off. You are given two "personal" days per year which count against you if you use them. You are also given few vacation days that they can reject as they see fit. Basically, forget about your family, and forget about attending any events that must be planned in advance. They are supposed to notify you 24hrs. In advance but that is not always the case.
        This company will destroy your work ethic. Forget about merit and seniority, they mean nothing at this place. Everyone is treated the same, good workers and lazy workers. The more skills you learn, the more management blames you for everything. Everyone gets paid the same no matter what! The only things that don't apply to all equally are the rules. Discipline is decided on a case by case basis (no rule book here). If you are part of the good ol' boys club or one of their kids, you are untouchable. If you are a regular employee and step out of line, you are scum and a horrible person.
        Guardian claims that safety is their highest priority and they brag about safety records. If you get hurt at Guardian they will blame you. When you get hurt they will fix you up on site and discourage you from getting real medical attention, even if it means locking you in an office and having several managers bully you into changing your mind. You will never receive workman's comp. It is always your fault! Even if it is caused by a previously reported issue.
        This is a nasty company to work for. By far this is the worst company I have ever worked for. I wasted 8 years of my life because I was afraid to lose my benefits.

My advice doesn't matter to management.

my review

I worked at Guardian Industries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits and working environment

Cons

not must to advancement if you want to

A company thats changing with no idea what its changing too or what it want to change into.

Former Employee - Corporate in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Corporate in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at Guardian Industries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Exposure to a decent mix of international work and potential to travel (sometimes a little too much), Salary was decent, not too much day to day bureaucracy as in expenses and approvals for small stuff ok (but this does not translate to business decisions, they are reviewed re-reviewed and then reviewed again and then parked to be decided at another time).

Some competent hard working people (new and old) but lost in a sea of dinosaurs and new people with limited or no experience in the industry or their function.

Cons

This company is in a period of transition since the Koch investment. Where they are going, I don't think even they know - there is all this talk about investment and growth, but no one seems to be able to make a decision on what is happening. It seems they are they going to continue to kick the same decisions around ask the same questions as the year before, have management change again and go through the process again?

The last year has seen sales of parts of the business and whilst this is understandable, it was very poorly communicated; fear and confusion lurk everywhere. Guardian was a little oasis detached from corporate reality for many years, now the changes are coming and I have never worked at a place with such an uneasy and unpleasant vibe compounded by total lack of clarity around what is going to happen. Half of the old timers in management are paralysed with fear that they will be next out the door and the other half is cutting people off at the knees to keep their jobs, or look like they are capable of keeping their jobs.

Because of the change in ownership or strategy there is no "Guardian Way" anymore - this is because there is no culture - its a changing beast and once which has yet to grow into its new skin.

This is raw material hungry manufacturing, as a result most of their plants are located in fairly unattractive, out of the way places, thats just the nature of the beast.

For the cut backs / reorganisations explain a little more. For growth, actually make a decision, communicate it and put it in place and be positive - there are far too many smoke and mirrors shows at the moment and no rewards coming through - People just see pain, confusion and paralysis.

just show me available jobs

I worked at Guardian Industries

Pros

I got paid every week

Cons

It was way too hot

Guardian Industries Photos