Guardian Life

Be The First To
Add Photos

Guardian Life President and CEO Deanna M. Mulligan

Deanna M. Mulligan

Pros
  • Good benefits (although they took a hit on health care recently - but so is everybody) (in 8 reviews)

• They HAD good people at one time (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • More communication between senior management and employees (in 12 reviews)

• There is currently no one in upper management that came up through the company - previously unheard of (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid company

ProsGood work/life balance, growth-oriented, safe from Wall St. Senior management understands the need for growth. Good salary and benefits in these times. For those of you who complain, we actually have it pretty good. Survey your friends/family. You'd be surprised.

ConsPeople who have been here a long time tend to be stuck in a time warp, a bit dense, afraid to try new and better things. Email chains can get a little nutty and people freak out over nonsense. Many do not understand the revenue stream, how their salaries are paid and how to put our best foot forward in the name of growth. IT needs expansion and support, not oursourcing services we can build ourselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to grow by embracing change, new solutions, stronger IT platform. All employees should share in the bonus pool.

IT Department

ProsGood salaries but very old technology.

ConsNo communication and pressure. Old technologies used

Bad experience

ProsGood temp-to-hire opportunity, great for recent college grads. Good health benefits, sick/vacation time, and you can transfer departments after one year.

ConsThe pay is too little for the amount of work that's expected. The responsibilities of the job have grown exponentially, yet the salary and daily production quotas remain the same. The turnover is now becoming ridiculous with people dropping like flies, but management is putting more on everyone else's plate instead of hiring replacements.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, and don't allow the department to become understaffed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Commission Representative

Commission Representative (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe work hours are great.

ConsNot a very friendly place to work at. It is like working for the city agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has no personality and are usually very rude to the employees. Company like to screw with employees bonus, paid and vacation time. Human resources make up rule as they go along and not very informed of the company policies.

Once upon a time

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey HAD good people at one time

ConsMost good people are being replaced by people discarded from other companies

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not allow the nepotism that follows the hiring of a senior executive. It is bad for morale.

Ok company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnot much to express that was good

Conspoor benefits, poor management, no upward mobility

Very slow and old fashioned IT environment

Process Improvement Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCompany stability. its a very large company. Little room for career advancement and no encouragement for woman leadership within IT even though CEO is a woman.

ConsCompany culture not dynamic. Routine work is dull and no change in technology/people. Not too many opportunities for growth. HR is very non responsive. Growth opportunities are very rare. Immigration process takes forever and absolute no transparency to employees regarding his immigration updates.

Advice to Senior Managementtime-off benefits very average compare to other companies;401k also not vested fully until 5 years of service which is also not good compare to other financial firms.
    CEO rolled out work place strategy however it is not rolled out in IT.

No room for growth

Coordinator (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt took Hurricane Sandy to become more flexible in work arrangments, but they now exist.

ConsI felt undervalued by my manager when I worked there. There wasn't much opportunity for growth. Loved my team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart adding cross training.

Good company to work for.

ProsVery good work life balance, very good benefits.

ConsMore communication between senior management and employees.

Great potential if you can make it.

Financial Representative (Current Employee)

ProsEarning opportunity is high. Once you are doing well, you will stop worrying about commissions and focus on helping clients, which is a great feeling.
    The executive management team is solid; the company is conservatively managed; strong dividend history.

ConsBe prepared to suffer through a period of low commissions.
    Offices are very unevenly managed. Make sure to ask rankings and just go to a top 10 office.
    The primary motivator is sales. Period.
    Some offices are less open to you using products from other companies, when appropriate, than others.

Worked for Guardian Life? Contribute to the Community!