Guardian Management

Add Photos

Thomas B. Brenneke

Good Company to work!

I have been working at Guardian Management full-time

ProsIf you do your job right and once you established that you know what you're doing, you can work independently and don't get micro managed.

ConsHigh turn over rate of Property Managers and higher ups.
An over abundance of reports the onsite managers have to produce on monthly basis.
Compliance Department is too slow in returning files that onsite has submitted and then onsite is being harassed for not submitting timely
The secret shopping reports are priced too highly by upper management and that's how they judge if onsite does their job correctly, when in reality the shopping report and the questions you have to ask are not indicative of what a subsidized manager has to do - its not a reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more interest in your onsite team. A company this big should be able to afford more then a measly $100 bonus to their onsite managers. Understand that most of your onsite managers (in particular subsidized managers) are putting in way more hours then what they are paid for

A rollercoaster of ups and downs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Guardian Management full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCo-workers, with a few exceptions, genuinely cared about the residents and their customer service was inspirational given that we worked in a fast-paced, high stress environment.

ConsWith reference to the above, we unfortunately had high turnover. And, this was embraced by management as a given. We were jacks of all trades and masters of none. Sometimes we were well-oiled but most of the time we were broken down on the freeway waiting for a tow truck. Training was on the job and with fire under foot. We leased tax credit units with complicated screening and compliance requirements. Pay and benefits were "competitive" for the foot soldier positions and on the stingy side. People often worked uncompensated overtime just with the hope that they could keep their jobs. Career track positions for licensed professionals probably fared better. People were promoted from within so it was possible for people to advance if they were resolved to do so.

Advice to Senior ManagementOur customer service always took a hit because training was on the job and in a chaotic environment. Very few people came into the leasing positions with previous experience. Excellence was always beyond our grasp because of this. I saw resident frustration generated by this shortcoming everyday and it is something which can never be captured in secret shopper reports.

Vultures, pure and simple.

Property Manager (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Guardian Management full-time for more than a year

ProsGuardian is a good place to work as a resume builder, and it's relatively easy to move up in the company because most of their employees are relatively incompetent.

ConsThis company runs a number of low/median income properties, and conveniently pay their employees so little that they barely qualify for the minimum income to live at many of these places. They don't offer free rent or even a significant rental discount, they just are willing to take rent out of your paycheck before tax - but only if you live on-site. That means that even if you live in a different property managed by the same company and sometimes work at that property, if your primary position is in another building, you receive no discount whatsoever.

This company is focused on squeezing fees out of residents; they don't care about turnover or actually letting anyone enjoy their homes, they would rather charge someone as many fees as possible and have them leave in a fury than retain a happy customer, even when it doesn't make financial sense. Very short-sighted. I resigned after new laws were passed to protect tenants in Oregon, and the company held a meeting where employees cheered as people came up with new ways to sneak in fees to charge the tenants.

You won't get healthcare in most positions, they will keep you just under the number of hours required to get it. If your managers aren't concerned with helping you move in the company, you are invisible to everyone, so your problems or ambitions will go unnoticed. On multiple occasions, long-standing employees of the company were passed over for transfers and promotions they had been promised in order to hire the friends or family members of portfolio managers and corporate staff in those positions instead (often despite their utter lack of experience). I can say quite honestly that Guardian is the most poorly run company for which I have worked. I witnessed numerous violations of fair housing that I wish I had reported (I would have lost my job, I'm sure), and I frequently saw managers overcharge for cleaning and painting fees upon move-outs. Once, a prior tenant was charged for a full painting that had never even occurred. Compliance is haphazard, and the organization utilized a screening organization owned by a family member of the company's president. I would truly recommend that you not work for this company unless you have solid evidence that they have moved to more ethical business practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the nepotism, make it easier for employees to access training. Include assistants and leasing agents in training meetings, make business practices more transparent.

Amateurish.

Leasing Agent, Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guardian Management

ProsI worked at several different properties over several years. At the community level, managers and other employees are usually very friendly and understanding-- like when you have unexpected disruptions to your schedule. Generally, the team is good and cares about the community. And if you want to move to another community, they are pretty good about letting you transfer.

ConsThey do a pretty good job in the field of property management where the bar is relatively low compared to other industries. But as a business, they are very amateurish. Nepotism is rampant and there are no checks and balances. There is nobody to turn to with your grievances. They are keen at leading you on with bigger and better opportunities that never fully manifest.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. It is a private family business and management is not going to change, even as they claim to be "changing" or "cleaning house". I've gone through many periods of "cleaning". If they really want to change, or at least make a good show of it, they should start by hiring an impartial, non-family human resources professional.

In THIS field, they are on the right track.

Property Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guardian Management

ProsDecisions are based on what's best for the owners and properties. Available management and upper management; getting an answer is never an opposition and everything is a priority. Needs are always meet. Opportunity for development and training is readily available and encouraged. Guardian is a well known company which builds the resume and breeds pride. A unique portfolio is maintained by Guardian Management which offers a variety of staffing needs and opportunities for growth. Corporate office is continually helpful and available! This is uncommon in other experiences I've had. They are responsive, professional and you feel that you are on the same team. Guardian is a ship built on a firm foundation.

ConsSenior leadership is more like dictatorship and we are only privileged with the Presidents attendance at Manager meetings a small fraction of the time. Even then it is only for a small part of the meeting. A true leader would show the interest, make the time to lead his people. Long term employees (15+ years) are giving notice or being let go in a "time of change" at a seemingly rapid pace. There is so much variety in upper management it is like working for a different company if/when a change is made as "policy" is not clear/communicated/interpreted the same way. Training is provided, but not functionally complete. Compared to similar positions, Guardian provides the least benefits, least salary and smallest on site staff coverage which is compounded with the greatest amount of responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you ask and don't listen it is worse than asking in the first place. Personality profiling/training could be beneficial to correctly train and then manage staff for long term interest. There is a fine line between micromanaging and being too laid back. This line has yet to be found across the board. On-site staff work often at 24 hour on-call basis and get very little recognition. Thank you for taking the time to ask - now we wait for proof that the answers made a difference.

High employee turnover rate, little opportunity for growth and advancement

Property Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guardian Management

ProsLarge portfolio with ample opportunity to gain property management experience. Some great leadership at the portfolio manager position, and some less than great.

ConsHigh employee turnover rate with often impossible expectations. Generally a culture of all work, no ballance with life. Limited opportunity for advancement for well qualified employees.

Worked for Guardian Management? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Guardian Management reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Guardian Management CEO Thomas B. Brenneke. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Guardian Management employees.