Guardian Protection Services

Guardian Protection Services CEO Russell L. Cersosimo
Russell L. Cersosimo

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Warrendale, PA

I worked at Guardian Protection Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment. Happy and nice TL & Supervisors. benefits. some room for growth. Great training. They start you at $11/hr and after training it goes higher based on previous experience & benefits. You also get a 3% raise every year & at 5 years you get an extra week of time off.

Cons

Though they train you to do your job very well, if you are new to the corporate world, they do not fully explain benefits or rules about tardiness. There are resources on their knowledge base, but you have to be proactive & know where to find them and what questions to ask.

Please explain all of your expectations upfront, and not only what they are, but why. I really enjoyed working there, but I was unaware of some policies that turned out to be very important to my continued employment.

A Paycheck and little else

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Warrendale, PA

I worked at Guardian Protection Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They have pretty good health insurance. The are pretty easy to get a job with because they are ALWAYS hiring, the turnover rate is the highest I have seen anywhere. If you can last a year in customer service you can move to other departments. They train you for 3 months and if you work in customer service you have the help desk to call get easy access to help.

Cons

They put too much work on a person during a call. If you are on a call for too long, they hold it against you, if you don't pitch their latest unnecessary product they hold that against you. If you transfer a customer to another department sometimes other employees are rude to you. The shifts are bid for and are all over the place so you need to have flexibility. They pay is not on par with the stress level. Call volume is very high on a consistent basis.

Don't hold it against people if they are late for their break because they were on a call helping a customer. Monitor how other employees treat other employees on the phones during transfers.

Management Needs to Know

I have been working at Guardian Protection Services full-time

Pros

Work hours are relatively great.

Cons

Too departemental. Sales people need to learn how the operation works, before just collecting their commission.

Management needs to understand that the salespeople need to understand how central station operations works and the proper procedures, so they can tell their customers what to expect.

nothing

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Guardian Protection Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexibility in your own schedule

Cons

delay in paying reps until after sale in completed

The company is going to have to improve upon certain things if they want to be on the cover of SDM Magazine again

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Guardian Protection Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paid training, good food, friendly/resourceful people, decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Guardian Protection Services needs to make some major leaps and bounds if they want to stay in the competition and back on the front cover of SDM Magazine.

I would advise the company to conduct better research upon the products that they're selling to their customers. I understand from a business stand point of view that they want to sell all the bells and whistles and providing their customers with a "piece of mind". However a lot of the newer GE & Honeywell security systems (ex. touchscreens) still have some technical bugs that need to be fixed and worked out and therefore leading me into my next point which is a definite must. I would strongly advise that the onsite sales reps. always encourage the prosperous customers to get the "Extended Repair Agreement" and explain what it is to the customer so they are not having to pay an unreasonably high amount of money (Time & Material rates) to have work done if something is to go wrong with their security system. This isn't just going to be helpful for the customer and saving them money but the business as well in generating higher profits & revenue. The cost of some certain extra added devices are a bit unreasonably high as well and should be lowered to a much more reasonable and affordable cost. Also from another business stand point of view, the company should invest a lot more time and energy researching these 3rd party dealers that they collaborate with and the technicians that they're bringing on-board as well.

There is a lot of miscommunication on the customer service floor and other departments all around too. My advice to management is to clean up this circle of confusion & misinformation. I can't begin to even tell you how many times that I had customers call in and complain saying to me that this rep. told him/her that but another rep. said something or offered something entirely different and I would check the system notes/comments but nothing was ever noted or specified. Please and I cannot emphasize this enough when I say this but they need to train their employees to leave more detailed notes. It will expedite the reps. call and leaving the rep. with a good call handle time. Another topic I would like to discuss and share is the Quality Assurance grading (which I found to be helpful and ridiculous). One day of every week all the customer service reps. would meet with their Supervisor/Team Leader individually in a room and listen to one or two of your call(s) and review how you had done in the past week. Your supervisor/team leader grades your call(s) based upon what's called a Quality Assurance sheet. Which is a grading sheet that's listed with all the "professional requirements" of things you have to say to the customer from saying "Please and Thank You" to "Offering additional assistance" and the list goes on from there. If you had missed anything on the list of those things to say or ask, or if your TL didn't like what you had said to the customer whether it was good or bad based upon their own individual opinion then you would get docked points which would effect your QA score and your QA scores would later on effect your rank/position for the shift bid which I found to be highly ridiculous. Management needs to look more into this. I think it's a terrible business tactic/idea when scheduling employees. I would like to address and shed some light on the amount of micro-management that goes on within the company. When employees are having conversations, whether it would be in the smoking area outside, the cafeteria, neighboring cubicles or even on the phone with the customers. If it's not negatively effecting the customers, other employees around them or their ability to work then I would strongly advise that certain TL's/Supervisors and managers to back off and to stop confronting their employee(s) and talking down to them. I know that some certain TL's and managers tend to get on these power rants because of their superiority within the company but I would advise them to be a lot more respectful towards the other reps.

Last but not least. This place can be a "rumor mill" as someone else stated in a previous comment. Use your best judgement and cover yourself because certain employees in this workplace do like to stir up drama, rumors, and gossip about other employees. Which does occur in a lot of workplaces. However this should not be tolerated in a "professional working environment". I would strongly encourage management to look into this as well and take the proper disciplinary action(s) necessary.

I was a business major and graduated with a bachelors degree in business administration so my advice to management is to be more understanding and caring of your employees within the company. Micromanagement is highly unnecessary.

customer service Rep.

I worked at Guardian Protection Services full-time

Pros

Decent pay for bilingual reps. full pay training for 3 months.

Cons

Everything, policies and processes are horrendous and extremely unrealistic, you are expected to meet certain criteria on each call you take. I feel sorry for Guardian customers; The customer service experience is your typical call center BS, you can call 10 times in one day and you'll think your talking to a futuristic ROBOT with their stupid key words you have to say as a rep. "because they think it makes a difference" and they'll nail you for it each week on your "weekly" review if you don't say certain things...Really!? No customer wants to hear the same repetitive BS when they call. They say they care about their customers but hold customers very strictly to their contract and don't give an inch...they mask helping a customer for example: if a customer wants to lower their rates to the lowest possible in the market, they will based on the type of service package you have but that comes with an extension of your contract or signing a new contract if your past your initial term. The giving free equipment and or months free they sometimes do depending on circumstances are all figured into the numbers, they are financially rapping customers compared to other companies...oh and God forbid you just want to cancel your account, you have to go through a long process and of course they will ask you those robotic questions to try and keep you. So as a rep. although they have sort of simplified this process for the CSR the poor customer still has to go through all the BS. It's exhausting trying to keep your cool with irate customers which is 95% of them due to many reasons including equipment always faulting which I think is the main reason customers want to leave. As a CSR you have to put up with all this and try to explain to the customer why their equipment doesn't really suck when every other call you take that is the case. So no I will not work for a company who has so many issues from an employee and customer point of view. They shouldn't be in business period. I can go on and on in detail but I don't have that kind of time neither do readers. The schedule structure is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in my life. there should be 3 shifts ONLY not 20. This was by far the worst work experience I have ever encountered to date.

Simplify!!! you don't need to have 500 actions for your reps to complete to help a customer and document the call, customer service doesn't require you to have to say certain words throughout a call to make it a successful call. Customer service should be custom to each call. Every department should be doing what their expertise requires depending on the call, CSRs shouldn't have to do anything but take payments and maybe basic troubleshooting. I can re write the way your whole company runs and I guarantee a better company. I personally have customer service awards and tons of management experience, with Guardian I felt I was drowning because how strict your unrealistic processes are. Lower and have a flat rate, all you are doing is monitoring, it doesn't matter whether it's interactive or not but if you must, have a flat rate for basic and for interactive. Contracts should be no more than 2 years and you should offer a month to month package like cell phone companies do, after all customers buy the equipment outright anyway. Trust me I could keep going.

The scheduling system is unbearable but the people are nice.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Guardian Protection Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are nice, helpful, always doing collections and group activities. Management is good, they are all enthusiastic about the company and know what it's like to actually deal with customers. Training is 3 months now, very thorough.

Cons

Morale is low due to the weird scheduling system they use for the customer service staff. Every minute of your life is micro-managed with an insane color-coded computer-phone time-tracking system which is inconvenient and kind of insulting. Every 3 months everyone bids for their shifts for the next 3 months and if you don't take their time-tracking system seriously enough, or are just new, you end up working weird shifts, like having Tuesday and Thursday off instead of a weekend...for 3 months.

Meh...

I have been working at Guardian Protection Services full-time

Pros

Steady pay check, that's about it.

Cons

I have been held back from advancement because I chose not to be part of the clique rumor mill.
    There is lots of clowning around everywhere. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I believe work is about working and not socializing.

Pay attention to what's going on in your departments.

Builder Sales Rep

Current Employee - Builder Sales in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Builder Sales in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Guardian Protection Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people in the office, and excellent technicians performing the work. Even the sub contractors used are outstanding. This is a tough industry to please every customer, but Guardian does its best.

Cons

Pay plan was changed last year and still not convinced it is better than the old one.

The only advice I would have is to make sure the customer service reps. at corporate know how to handle customer questions in regards to the technology we sell, and not just the alarm systems.

Great Potential Just not in this City

Former Employee - Sales and Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales and Technician in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Guardian Protection Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Autonomy, great commission, great support system, warm leads

Cons

Upper management (as with all sales jobs) is driven by numbers. Expectations unreasonable in certain low income Texas cities in the South.

A master salesman isn't made overnight