Guardian Protection Services

www.guardianprotection.com
Profile Unclaimed

Meh...

I have been working at Guardian Protection Services full-time

Pros

Steady pay check, that's about it.

Cons

I have been held back from advancement because I chose not to be part of the clique rumor mill.
    There is lots of clowning around everywhere. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I believe work is about working and not socializing.

Pay attention to what's going on in your departments.

Builder Sales Rep

Current Employee - Builder Sales in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Builder Sales in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Guardian Protection Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people in the office, and excellent technicians performing the work. Even the sub contractors used are outstanding. This is a tough industry to please every customer, but Guardian does its best.

Cons

Pay plan was changed last year and still not convinced it is better than the old one.

The only advice I would have is to make sure the customer service reps. at corporate know how to handle customer questions in regards to the technology we sell, and not just the alarm systems.

Great Potential Just not in this City

Former Employee - Sales and Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales and Technician in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Guardian Protection Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Autonomy, great commission, great support system, warm leads

Cons

Upper management (as with all sales jobs) is driven by numbers. Expectations unreasonable in certain low income Texas cities in the South.

A master salesman isn't made overnight

Fantastic company

Former Employee - Life Safety Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Life Safety Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Guardian Protection Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Incredible support for sales people, amazing training, great management structure, lots of autonomy.

Cons

Commission plan was kind of convoluted, hard to understand at first. A little harder to sell because they don't have the name recognition in most parts of the country that some companies like ADT have.

Nothing comes to mind. My entire experience with this company was top notch

Guardian was an excellent Alarm Company to work for.

Former Employee - Alarm Technician in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Alarm Technician in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Guardian Protection Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Loved their package systems which used top of the line Ademco Vista 20.

Cons

Corporate to Branch level seemed a bit detached or distant.

Conference calls, employee webinars/training, or other ways to get branches to feel connected.

Decent work environment, good pay and benefits.

Current Employee - Service Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

I'm awesome and make the company awesome by being a part of it.

Cons

GPS in vans, communication within the company is lacking.

Focus more on the customer, give service techs time and materials to complete the job, dump the gps, micro managing kills motivation. We don't work in cubicles so stop acting like we do, most of us got into service for the on the road freedom, we do not want the stress of an office environment.

Be prepared to left to your own devices almost completely. The "warm" leads mostly come from paying off installers.

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Guardian Protection Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is energetic and supportive. Solid training.

Cons

Go-Ol-Boys set in their ways who show favoritism to other Go-Ol-Boys.

Working here was competitive and highly self-taught.

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Warrendale, PA
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Warrendale, PA

I worked at Guardian Protection Services as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Some positives of working at Guardian Protection Services were the management, the hours, the ability to openly communicate with the management, and the high amount of leads that were received. It was also nice to have facilities like a full cafeteria and gym available.

Cons

The negatives of working at Guardian Protection Services consist of the systems being out of date and difficult / time consuming to learn.

Pound Pavement or Else...

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Guardian Protection Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

initial compensation fair... not great
    solid company
    state of the art technologies

Cons

payment structure
    no advertising... we are part of Armstrong group of Companies

welcome to the 21st Century... Advertise!!!

A real disappointment!

Former Employee - Life Safety Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Life Safety Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Guardian Protection Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Medical benefits on first day of employment. Their monitoring center is first rate.

Cons

Management is very misleading about the amount of company leads available and the compensation plan which changes frequently. More disturbing is that certain employees are definitely favored and given more leads, and not because they are better closers! Guardian expects you to find most of your own business and yet they have no brand recognition in the market place. They are over-priced and they don't offer much in the range of security products, only G.E. wireless unless they are taking over an existing wired system. You receive training pay for the first six months which starts at $1500 monthly for the first two months, $1000 monthly for the third and fourth months and $500 monthly for the fifth and sixth month. Starting with month seven, you are on straight commission along with a monthly performance salary if you make your self-generated numbers. Even if you hit the lowest tier of four, the performance salary is so small for the following month; it is hardly worth the effort. It is a convoluted plan with so many variables. Management will micromanage your time and yet there is no base salary. It is a high stress environment with the bullying, harassment and insults about performance and sales numbers. To add insult to injury, receiving your pay check is upsetting enough. The bottom line is very little compensation for the amount of prospecting, cold-calling and running all over for the few company leads that you do receive. You will get a lead that is over an hour away instead of one that is only 20 or 30 minutes from your home because they over-hire in certain areas of the three state territory of PA, DE and N.J. Anyone who is a good prospector with a large network of people will not work here because the incentive pay is so minimal.

Invest more in your employees with a better compensation plan. Give them reasons to want to stay. Be realistic about the market place that you are in - each one has different dynamics. You can't compare Pittsburgh with Orlando or any other area. With so much competition than five years ago including the DIY companies, Xfinity, ATT, ADT dealers as well as ADT corporate and so many others that Guardian is not remaining competitive. Guardian has now fallen to number 10 and will continue to fall in the ratings because you are failing to address the internal problems that exist.