GuardianEdge

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at GuardianEdge

Pros

The company had an open communication style and there was real substance to the open door policy, consequently it was used regularly. The work was very challenging, yet reasonable and was well compensated with great benefits. In general it was a very high caliber team. Good work/life balance.

Cons

While feedback was always welcome, it sometimes seems as if all decistions came from the top.

Keep up the collaboration effort.

I enjoyed working at GuardianEdge, was lucrative however success can be punished if you make too much.

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GuardianEdge

Pros

Wonderful, easy to sell product; friendly atmosphere, give time off if needed.

Cons

Management was chaotic and unfocused, communication with management could have been better.

Don't punish success, allow your salespeople to make as much money as they can.

Just another day...

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at GuardianEdge

Pros

Easy access to everyone, from engineers to VPs. An open door policy made GuardianEdge a great place to learn.

Cons

The compensation is less than I expected. I believe the company made-up for it in other ways, but it is still very hard to beat a nice check.

While smaller companies have a harder time paying out top compensations, it is what retains the best work force. Improve this and there is little to stand in your way.

Wasn't a bad place to hang out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at GuardianEdge

Pros

1. Towards the end, the company culture was beginning to click. The consolidation into a single office was helping to improve the flow of communication and trust between groups.
    2. Although there were definitely politics at the executive level, the organization was remarkably free of politics at the rank and file level. In general, employees were friendly, tended to work well together, and were largely focused on achieving the same company goals (though there were notable exceptions like engineering).
    3. Light workload; managers tended to provide more than enough time to complete tasks; very 9-5 type of culture
    4. Better pay and benefits than I expected from a very small company.

Cons

While the new CEO was working hard to build a culture of employee empowerment, it just never happened. Everything was managed in a very dictatorial, top-down manner. Instead of assigning projects to teams, the managers were mostly doling out low-level tasks to individuals which started to get very boring very quickly. The worst manifestation of this was engineering where the engineering SVP was basically managing tasks for 30+ "direct" reports. But, across the company this type of management was pervasive and killed a lot of independent thinking, new ideas, and innovation.

The company was notoriously cheap (not frugal, but cheap). You could always expect one of your legitimate expenses to be questioned and thrown back. IT was challenging -- good people, but holding an outdated infrastructure together with duct tape due to lack of company investment. The company also failed to invest adequately in other areas like sales, marketing, and engineering.

Well, congratulations for selling the company to Symantec, though many folks have discovered that's not necessarily a blessing. I urge you to look after the interests of the GuardianEdge employees -- both those who will proceed to Symantec as well as those who will be let go.

not a bad place to work but more a stepping stone than a career

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer II in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GuardianEdge

Pros

They sold a decent product. The pay was good. Not much micromanagement and the support team was good to work with

Cons

There's no real advancement. Stagnant company progression

get the company public. people have been waiting for years

On balance, a good experience

I worked at GuardianEdge full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company had a very good set of products, especially in comparison with the competition. Other than the pre-boot module of the hard disk product, which was very sensitive to hardware, there were very few issues with the rest of the product suite.

In addition, the company was neither cheap nor liberal with raising and spending money.

GuardianEdge owned the federal marketplace. Kudos to the federal sales team for making that happen.

Benefits well above average

Compensation above average

Not a slave-driver environment. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Despite a good product suite sales and marketing execution was poor. The company kept a very low profile. Despite being a superior offering in comparison to PGP for instance, the company was almost apologetic in the way it went to market. With a much better marketing outfit the company could have done much better.

Start up that gives you a chance to do well

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at GuardianEdge

Pros

Small company, hot product in hot market

Cons

Not much room for advancement, decision making at highest level only.

Don't tell the whole world that you are trying to sell the company

Nice place to work for

I worked at GuardianEdge

Pros

- Good technology
    - Good execution

Cons

- Eng is the bottlenect
    - lacks strong eng leadership

Doing well recently with Symantec. Will be much better if mid level management was bit more seasoned. So far it's still one man army style for different groups. just like a typical small start up, opportunity growth is bit constrained and people (your manager) might not like it at all. Work culture can be anywhere from rush-rush to let's have a beer type, depends on the group manager.

Heartless

I worked at GuardianEdge

Pros

When I was there, we worked worked as a (occasionally disfuntional) team. Everyone knew everyone else. It wasn't so corporate.

Cons

Cronyism was pretty bad when I was there and I hear it got even worse. Loyal people who had worked there for years and made the company what it was were booted to the curb.

I think its already too late. I know I tried to say things when I was there but I was ignored. Sure, you'll do OK and make money, but you lost your heart and soul along the way.