Guardsmark

Be The First To
Add Photos

Guardsmark Chairman and President Ira A. Lipman

Ira A. Lipman

Pros
  • No co-pay health insurance for full-time employees(in 8 reviews)

• Free Uniforms ( a lot of them were worn by other people, before you(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No direct deposit on most accounts/locations (some apparently have it now)(in 12 reviews)

• The hiring process is ridiculous(in 9 reviews)

It's alright for what it is.

Security Officer/Security Guard (Former Employee)

ProsIf you get placed at a big client site you get most of the good perks of working for the company (Better pay, better insurance deals and better hours).
    Free uniforms.
    Easy job usually.
    Good for work experience.
    The only reason I'd recommend this job to anybody is that it's really just a easy paycheck. If you can't find anything better than it's alright. Just make sure you don't let anything go wrong with the location you are working at and you can be employed until you die.

ConsExpect late checks when you start and continue to expect them if direct deposit is not available.
    Expect to have your hours cut if it will save a little bit of money.
    Don't expect a promotion.
    Don't expect a pay increase (Unless the company some how gets a pay increase and even then it's probably no going to be passed on to you.
    Crappy uniforms and long wait times to get replacement uniforms.
    Backstabbing is almost encouraged. Unless you can find a group of people who will look after each other you will basically be on your own.
    Hard work is appreciated but not acknowledged (Don't put in extra effort if you don't have to as they will both get the same outcome).
    Expect to be talked down to and sometimes berated (Whether jokingly or intentionally).

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better or at least reward those who show loyalty and go the extra mile. Get uniforms out in a timely manner, make sure paychecks arrive ON payday and are not MAILED ON PAYDAY. Train people better. Don't pinch every penny you get to the point where 20 dollars in the companies pocket is worth more than 10 dollars in the employees pocket. Create positions instead of reducing them.

Supported my living for 4.5 years

Lieutenant Security Officer (Former Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsFlexibility and the opportunity to work for multiple customers. Learning and developing various skills as job responsibilities are unique to each position assigned.

ConsUnder paid and unappreciated especially with high risk and experience necessary positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate those who work hard for and represent the company, valuing, rewarding and compensate them for their service. Promote within.

Worked here over 10 yrs and it was a perfect job for that time in my life

Security Site Supervisor (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsMany different locations so a transfer is always possible

ConsWages are sketchy, you can be quoted one wage and hire in at a different wage without being told the difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you get a great person working for the company, reward him or her!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great

Prosyou'll always have 40 hours.

Consmoving to different post and the pay will not change

It's OK work.

Site Supervisor (Current Employee) Independence, OH

ProsGreat mentoring program by management, you just have to be open and receptive to it.

ConsUnstable industry. Poor use of funds by company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNobody cares about the company newspaper, the daily bulletin, or the Christmas card...that money would be put to better use on the employees.

The most horrific experience in my life. Supervisor was incompetent. Co-workers were no call, no show.

Security Officer (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsThere were no pros with this company. They screw you out of over-time. The last supervisor was okay. I worked with him and he worked with me.

ConsThis company was the worst I ever worked. I have been working for over 40 years and I was never treated with such disrespect. Upper management has unethical practices. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect. Without them, there would be no Guardsmark.

Guardsmark is a Joke, not a professional security company.

Security Officer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou may like it or not but it's a job. Free but already used uniforms. Some sites offer direct deposit.
    You get 5 days vacation after 1 year of employment.

ConsNo room to grow. If they promise you a rewarding career, believe me it's a lie.
    A little pay and of course no pay raises for officers. Guardsmark is so desperate not to give you over time.(Lipman and his buddies must make good money not security officers).
    The hiring process is ridiculous.! Just to give you an idea: 40 pages application, 500 psychological questions, Polygraph test, Drug test, Background check, you need to get 6 references from your neighbors and then.....welcome to Guardsmark, you can enjoy a "career" for $10/hr.
    After 5 or 10 years of employment you can expect to get a pin with a letter from Lipman. (What a joke!)

Advice to Senior ManagementLipman! Maybe it's time to stop sending stupid Guardsmark newspaper, a Christmas card and instead of that...give security officers a pay raise! I have no words to describe how cheap this company is.

Great

Security Officer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsMy site is a great site with guarantied hours, and I work with people that help me out for further job opportunities.

ConsNothing particularly negative, just wish there was a better benefit package.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be a better raise system in place.

Wyorst in the Security Industry

Security Officer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsHave not seen one yet

ConsBasically the people do not have regards to floor employees. Security officers are treated like garbage. Company style of document compilation is so outdated. This company is not technology friendly. It prides itself as the finest security company within the security industry but on a more serious note it is the worst. Some of its management leaders are nothing but dictators.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe real and get rid of those dictators you have as managers.Flash them out and bring creative thinkers on board. Scrap slave drivers so as to pave way for motivators who can challenge employees to add more value

Learned in the first week of employment that management does have the capacity to lead or give correct information.

Unarmed Security Guard (Current Employee)

ProsWeekly pay and job opportunites with the client company, if you have the required skills and qualifications.

ConsManagement.
    I was lied to from the first day of the stupidly long application process. I was told there was one opening when in actuality I am the first hired in a wave of new guards to replace the current crew. The current contract ends and the new one begins March 1. I am the first armed guard to be hired but there are no others hired as of yet. If a fully armed crew is not hired in the next 2 weeks we will lose the contract. Our HR manager has been taking his time finding new people because he thought the new contract started in June. Why would the person who is in charge of the hiring process not have the correct information?
    Uniforms.
    The current unarmed security guard uniforms are outdated. The suit and tie security look does not look professional. The uniforms are cheaply made and the pants are itchy. Yes they are free but you have to have the pants altered and you might not get your size. My 1 pair of pants fit but only 1 of 3 shirts is my size. Also, if steel toe boots are required at your client site that comes out of your pocket.
    Uniform appearance is lacking. I'm former active duty Navy and current Army reserve. I iron my cheap uniform and polish my boots but I appear to be the only one. The uniform regulations are barely enforced and facial hair regulations are not enforced. Even if the uniforms are cheap and outdated the appearance is still important but no body cares except me. No one wears the tie and I don't even think anyone was issued the blazer.
    Paperwork.
    Guardsmark wants everything hand written. Nothing can be printed out or e-mailed. The company wastes way too much paper. I'm not a tree hugging hippy but this company makes me feel bad for the trees. Every guard must fill out their daily report by hand every day. Monthly training must be done by hand every month. It's all read and answer the questions. I don't think there is any actual training. With your paycheck comes the newsletter and a day to day planner/calender with more training. Your envelope will be heavy with useless crap and your paycheck. Every week you must hand write out your time sheet in a somewhat confusing way even though your supervisor, who already has all that information including changes, has to fill out a weekly time sheet for everyone. All requests for an updated system get shot down and apparently if you press to hard you get fired.
    Benefits.
     They have some benefits, but, they are expensive. If you have a higher paying position you might be alright but the lower paid employees usually go with their own medical and dental plans. If you have a family it's even more expensive. I think you can get free life insurance but you have to have been employed for a specified amount of time and work 40 hours a week. 39 hours or less and you lose the life insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet facts straight. Don't lie and if you don't know say so. Pulling answers out of you butts makes you look incompetent and untrustworthy. Make the effort to ensure the guards who work for you have proper fitting uniforms and are wearing them according to regulations. You were hired to do a job so do it correctly. Most of these reviews I have read say management is horrible.

Worked for Guardsmark? Contribute to the Community!