Guardsmark

Be The First To
Add Photos

Guardsmark Chairman and President Ira A. Lipman

Ira A. Lipman

Pros:
  • "No co-pay health insurance for full-time employees"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Free Uniforms ( a lot of them were worn by other people, before you"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "No direct deposit on most accounts/locations (some apparently have it now)"
    in 12 reviews
  • "So that means, no pay raises or cost of living increases"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It's OK work.

Site Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Independence, OH

ProsGreat mentoring program by management, you just have to be open and receptive to it.

ConsUnstable industry. Poor use of funds by company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNobody cares about the company newspaper, the daily bulletin, or the Christmas card...that money would be put to better use on the employees.

The most horrific experience in my life. Supervisor was incompetent. Co-workers were no call, no show.

Jacksonville, FL

ProsThere were no pros with this company. They screw you out of over-time. The last supervisor was okay. I worked with him and he worked with me.

ConsThis company was the worst I ever worked. I have been working for over 40 years and I was never treated with such disrespect. Upper management has unethical practices. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect. Without them, there would be no Guardsmark.

Guardsmark is a Joke, not a professional security company.

New York, NY

ProsYou may like it or not but it's a job. Free but already used uniforms. Some sites offer direct deposit.
    You get 5 days vacation after 1 year of employment.

ConsNo room to grow. If they promise you a rewarding career, believe me it's a lie.
    A little pay and of course no pay raises for officers. Guardsmark is so desperate not to give you over time.(Lipman and his buddies must make good money not security officers).
    The hiring process is ridiculous.! Just to give you an idea: 40 pages application, 500 psychological questions, Polygraph test, Drug test, Background check, you need to get 6 references from your neighbors and then.....welcome to Guardsmark, you can enjoy a "career" for $10/hr.
    After 5 or 10 years of employment you can expect to get a pin with a letter from Lipman. (What a joke!)

Advice to Senior ManagementLipman! Maybe it's time to stop sending stupid Guardsmark newspaper, a Christmas card and instead of that...give security officers a pay raise! I have no words to describe how cheap this company is.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learned in the first week of employment that management does have the capacity to lead or give correct information.

Unarmed Security Guard (Current Employee)

ProsWeekly pay and job opportunites with the client company, if you have the required skills and qualifications.

ConsManagement.
    I was lied to from the first day of the stupidly long application process. I was told there was one opening when in actuality I am the first hired in a wave of new guards to replace the current crew. The current contract ends and the new one begins March 1. I am the first armed guard to be hired but there are no others hired as of yet. If a fully armed crew is not hired in the next 2 weeks we will lose the contract. Our HR manager has been taking his time finding new people because he thought the new contract started in June. Why would the person who is in charge of the hiring process not have the correct information?
    Uniforms.
    The current unarmed security guard uniforms are outdated. The suit and tie security look does not look professional. The uniforms are cheaply made and the pants are itchy. Yes they are free but you have to have the pants altered and you might not get your size. My 1 pair of pants fit but only 1 of 3 shirts is my size. Also, if steel toe boots are required at your client site that comes out of your pocket.
    Uniform appearance is lacking. I'm former active duty Navy and current Army reserve. I iron my cheap uniform and polish my boots but I appear to be the only one. The uniform regulations are barely enforced and facial hair regulations are not enforced. Even if the uniforms are cheap and outdated the appearance is still important but no body cares except me. No one wears the tie and I don't even think anyone was issued the blazer.
    Paperwork.
    Guardsmark wants everything hand written. Nothing can be printed out or e-mailed. The company wastes way too much paper. I'm not a tree hugging hippy but this company makes me feel bad for the trees. Every guard must fill out their daily report by hand every day. Monthly training must be done by hand every month. It's all read and answer the questions. I don't think there is any actual training. With your paycheck comes the newsletter and a day to day planner/calender with more training. Your envelope will be heavy with useless crap and your paycheck. Every week you must hand write out your time sheet in a somewhat confusing way even though your supervisor, who already has all that information including changes, has to fill out a weekly time sheet for everyone. All requests for an updated system get shot down and apparently if you press to hard you get fired.
    Benefits.
     They have some benefits, but, they are expensive. If you have a higher paying position you might be alright but the lower paid employees usually go with their own medical and dental plans. If you have a family it's even more expensive. I think you can get free life insurance but you have to have been employed for a specified amount of time and work 40 hours a week. 39 hours or less and you lose the life insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet facts straight. Don't lie and if you don't know say so. Pulling answers out of you butts makes you look incompetent and untrustworthy. Make the effort to ensure the guards who work for you have proper fitting uniforms and are wearing them according to regulations. You were hired to do a job so do it correctly. Most of these reviews I have read say management is horrible.

Great

New York, NY

ProsMy site is a great site with guarantied hours, and I work with people that help me out for further job opportunities.

ConsNothing particularly negative, just wish there was a better benefit package.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be a better raise system in place.

Wyorst in the Security Industry

New York, NY

ProsHave not seen one yet

ConsBasically the people do not have regards to floor employees. Security officers are treated like garbage. Company style of document compilation is so outdated. This company is not technology friendly. It prides itself as the finest security company within the security industry but on a more serious note it is the worst. Some of its management leaders are nothing but dictators.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe real and get rid of those dictators you have as managers.Flash them out and bring creative thinkers on board. Scrap slave drivers so as to pave way for motivators who can challenge employees to add more value

Find another company to work for

Lead Security Officer (Current Employee)

ProsThere aren't any great pros about this company. Although working at the site I'm at is awesome. The people here are great.

ConsTraining is minimal, Lack of communication with the Supervisor, Pay sucks, The company doesn't follow their own guidelines but expects others to. Corp. sugar coats everything. I was a Supervisor for 6 months then was demoted to a Lead for absolutely no reason. I was told i didn't receive the proper training, go figure. My replacement is supposed to mentor and train me so i can move back up but that isn't happening. I've spoken with managers all that does is go through one ear and out the other. My advice to those people that are considering to work for this company is find a place that actually appreciates their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to make sure that all Officers are properly trained and valued. Also if an employee gets promoted and there are still some things that that employee needs training on don't demote them, have someone come in and properly train them. Unless losing employees is the goal and if that's the case keep doing what you're doing cause it looks like it's working.

Alright, it would have been better had I been trained correctly

Graniteville, SC

ProsKnowing your schedule in advance. Health Insurance for full time employees.

ConsSchedule can change at anytime, without your approval. Insurance is for full time employees. You must work at least 34 hours every week or you will lose your insurance.

Decent place to work if you're just needing a job that almost anyone can do.

Charlotte, NC

Pros-Great for retiree's. Great for students. Flexible hours. Light work load.

Cons-The site you work at determines your pay, which never increases unless the company renegotiates with the customer.

Advice to Senior Management-Try to focus on future technologies and processes. Guardsmark is just like most other private security companies out there, they are still living in the 80's. Setting themselves apart from the rest will help to negotiate higher salaries for your employees.

Excellent Training and Support

Rochester, NY

ProsOpportunities for Officers to be cross trained for different shifts and job descriptions, safe driver awards, officer of the month awards.

ConsPay scale is limited by the contract on the sited employed.

Worked for Guardsmark? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Guardsmark reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Guardsmark CEO Ira A. Lipman. All 114 reviews posted anonymously by Guardsmark employees.