Guardsmark Reviews

Reset
2.7
Guardsmark Chairman and President Ira A. Lipman
Ira A. Lipman

Pros
  • If you like working a lot of hours this company is for you, Free health insurance at the time was fair (in 8 reviews)

• They give you free uniforms, offer free health insurance, offer direct deposit (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect late checks when you start and continue to expect them if direct deposit is not available (in 13 reviews)

• Oh, and did I tell you there's no pay raises (in 6 reviews)

1. Office environment

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing people to work with ! Love helping people and feeling appreciated .

Cons

Very few pay raises

2. Account Manager/Facility Account Manager/National Accounts Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager/Facility Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager/Facility Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Guardsmark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I didn't appreciate it while I was employed with Guardsmark, however looking back, the greatest pro was the flexibility that the position(s) allowed. The company pays well versus the industry standard and the firm does have a strong name & presence in the field.

Cons

Upward mobility is stagnant unless you have a military and/or federal law enforcement pedigree. INCREDIBLY difficult to get any definitive answers/direction without first obtaining the blessings from the owner which you could understand if it were a smaller company.

Advice to Management

It wouldn't help, they would not listen to anything we had to say while we were employed.

Shut up and go away.

Former Employee - Security Officer/Security Guard in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Security Officer/Security Guard in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Guardsmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really liked Guardsmark. I liked my assignment, I like my fellow employees. The pay was fair and the hours good.

Cons

We all had to sign an agreement that we could be fired for any reason and not question it. I tripped and fell on the stairs leading up to the guard desk. I went to the doctor the next day and was told I tore my rotator cuff and I'd need an immediate operation. This was around November 20th. I told the doctor I couldn't leave my work because they had no one trained to take my place. I work under extreme pain until the client closed for the Xmas holiday on December 21st. I had my operation December 22nd. I was really hurting. The doctor told me to keep my arm in a sling for three weeks. I couldn't. The client opened again for business on January 2nd. I tried to keep my arm elevated to ease the pain. We worked shifts on the reception desk and patrol on gold carts. I could keep my arm up a bit on the desk and not so much so on the cart. I put up with the pain because the company needed my services and I was loyal to them. I even told the insurance company that I fell at home so the client and Guardsmark wouldn't have to get involved. I finally healed sometime in March. When I ended a shift patrolling outside on the golf cart, I went into the building to relieve my partner who was also my immediate supervisor. He was asleep at the desk. I quietly awoke him. He was very shaken at what he did. He picked up the phone and call our area supervisor and asked what the penalty was for sleeping on duty. He was told termination. That really shook him. Nothing more was said about it. I received a phone call from the area supervisor in June and he told me not to go to work the next day because I was fired. When I asked why, he told me I was caught sleeping on duty. I knew I never did that and could only wonder why my immediate supervisor would turn the tables on me and throw a 77 year old man under the bus. Loyalty sure backfired on me.

Advice to Management

Give your employees a hearing when terminating them. I sure hated to lose my job because I really did like Guardsmark. I would have enjoyed executing my constitutional rights and face my accuser. I didn't know you could sign away your rights and get a 12 hour notice that you were fired. First time in my life I ever got fired, and for what. For a liar to protect himself when the incident was all but forgotten and we were really good friends. Shame on you Guardsmark. Shame.

5. Manager

Former Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Guardsmark (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not stuck behind a desk; meeting and managing security officers; fair amount of schedule flexibility; provides exposure to major companies in the area

Cons

required to be available 24/7; difficult to plan to take classes or vacation; no exposure to upper management of major local companies; integration of technology into Guardsmark processes could be much better

Advice to Management

Use technology to simplify the job of the Unit Manager / Manager / and Manager In Charge. Reduce the intensive use of paper.

6. Review Title

Pros

has a lot of potential

Cons

Invest in your employees please

7. Human Resources Specialist

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Parkville, MD
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Parkville, MD

I have been working at Guardsmark (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with good office crew. Flexible scheduling.

Cons

No pay raises. Benefits could be a lot better. Limited room for advancement.

8. L&D Specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Customer is the first priority.

Cons

There was not enough technology.

9. OKAY

Current Employee - Security Officer in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay in my area. Very laid back and relaxed.

Cons

Lack of communication between officers and supervisors so as an officer it will leave you clueless. Unable to view your paystub online. Unorganized scheduling.

Advice to Management

Increase communication and pass down more information.

10. Security Officer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company really stands by its mission.

Cons

There is no room to grow within the company

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees

11. Not too bad.

Pros

Supplies uniforms and outer wear (coats, jackets, hats).

Cons

Work a whole year before having any vacation time to use. Needs to fight harder for employees with the clients. (raises versus duties)

RSS Feed </> Embed