Guardsmark

Updated January 20, 2015
2.6

Guardsmark Chairman and President Ira A. Lipman
Ira A. Lipman

Pros
  • No co-pay health insurance for full-time employees (in 8 reviews)

• Free Uniforms ( a lot of them were worn by other people, before you (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No direct deposit on most accounts/locations (some apparently have it now) (in 13 reviews)

• A little pay and of course no pay raises for officers (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Not worth it

Current Employee - Security Officer/Security Guard in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Security Officer/Security Guard in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Guardsmark

Pros

Easy work some people are easy to get along with, Will help get you a schedule you want.

Cons

First line superiors poor and shows favorites toward others, bring a problem with things going on never gets fixed

Supervisor

Former Employee - Security Site Supervisor
    Former Employee - Security Site Supervisor

I worked at Guardsmark

Pros

Benefit package is pretty okay.

Cons

No growth opportunities whatsoever for lower level employees

Promote from within. Better manage turnover rates by incorporating mid level managers in decision making at sites managed by these managers. Incorporate technology in management as it WILL positively enhance the company's bottom line.

Expect the unexpected...

Current Employee - Security Officer in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company has a number of clients in which they provide security services too. This gives you a little more variety in choosing where you would feel comfortable working. If you perform your duties and do your job, you will be ok.

Cons

The company pays everyone something different. Some people make as low as 8.75 and some make 12.50 at the same client location. Little to no room for advancement. Uniforms are also hard to come by. There is no sick pay. The company used to provide free health insurance to its employees but that is no longer the case.

Supposed to be one of the better companies. Waiting to see if this proves to be true. Still too early to tell.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guardsmark

Pros

Good screening process, mostly good leadership in middle management ranks. They like to give some of the ne'er do wells extra chances to succeed.

Cons

Top people and their practices are living in the dark ages as far as employee benefits, antiquated paperwork and questionable training practices and documentation.

Join the twenty-first century. Electronic training modules. Check on the Checkers. I don't see my account manager unless I go track him down and he always has his undies in a bunch overereacting to something the client may have seen.

It was a professional business environment

I have been working at Guardsmark

Pros

Generous comp plan and benefits

Cons

Too archaic in business practices

Come into the 21st century

Still run by a bunch of old southern white men

Current Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you're loyal and keep your mouth shut plus wait a long time you might get promoted. But it's not very even handed. loyalty is a guaranteed steady job in this company..

Cons

Way to much burocracy and paperwork, and it's all stored in the office which results in a very cluttered appearance. The company apparently hasn't heard about scanning and storing documents electronically. Still not very many women in upper management. Most females are relegated to the administrative support/HR positions

They should try hiring another administrator for most of the offices if they insist on having their managers keeping up on the paperwork on a timely manner. This would give them more time they should be spending at the sites, without having them work 70 or 80 hours a week!

Guardsmark - a Great Company for the 1980's. Owner only wants his profits!

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you want to be micro-managed from the corporate headquarters this is your company. If you feel safe and comfortable in the 1980's pull up a stool, Guardsmark is for you.

Cons

Guardsmark is stuck in the the 1980's. It kills trees by the thousands everyday because it's owner - Ira Lipman - who is too scared to move into the 20th century (yes the 20th). His Regional Managers are too intimidated of Ira to tell him he has no clothes on - read the story. Office culture - the King is always right and you become a "Whack-a mole" target if you offer improvements.

If you insist on sending our those monthly "Insight" newsletters consider adding a Letter to the Editor or "Ask Ira" to allow the employees an opportunity to interact with Czar.

Management

Former Employee - Vice President Regional Manager in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Vice President Regional Manager in Charleston, SC

I worked at Guardsmark full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent money and upward mobility.

Cons

CEO and Senior Management very set in thier ways which it made it very difficult to change anything.

Change the old fashion way of doing business.

An average security company.

Former Employee - Security Officer in Vacaville, CA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Vacaville, CA

I worked at Guardsmark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company provided uniforms. If a client required a certain piece of equipment, the management would make sure that it was provided for their employees.

Cons

The training that they had for some of their more modern facilities were out dated.

Crazy interview process

Current Employee - Security Officer in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Are you kidding? Just sitting through the interview made me realize there was none.What is wrong with companies today?

Cons

I haven't even started work here and it concerns me because the interview process was the most intrusive I have ever seen. Not even my friends in law enforcement went through a vetting process like I did. People are on here talking about a 500 question psychological exam are wrong. Its 567 questions. I felt like walking out then. Asking for a list of what medications I take is unacceptable to me. Its no ones business.Sorry. Stay away.

Get a life.