Guavus

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014

Anukool Lakhina
1 Rating

Pros
  • Work-life balance is decent, people are also very motivated to working hard as well (in 5 reviews)

• Its a job in Big Data, good place to learn it and then move on to a better company (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting a raise or promotion can only happen if you fall in line with the top management else forget it (in 4 reviews)

• A suffocating work environment only good for those who don't want to grow (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Customer support engineer

I worked at Guavus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can learn a lot in a short period of time. There are some very knowledgeable folks working at the company. In particular it's good to learn about Big Data and related technologies.

Cons

For our group, the hours were quite long and the job was very demanding.

More customers are needed. And it would be good to have more down time.

Falling knife...can they survive?

I worked at Guavus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Once was a high flying technology company
    - Used to be considered a leader in big data analytics
    - Was filled with good people that cared

Cons

- After three rounds of layoffs, the best people all founds jobs and departed
    - The company is not closing deals fast enough which calls into question the cash position and burn rate
    - Detrimental executive hires with rampant political survival behavior
    - Too many risks that will hinder survival

Change out:
    - Executive team
    - Sales team

So much wasted potential…

I worked at Guavus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the freedom to work from home and the opportunity to travel. The people I met were of generally high caliber, technically speaking. The compensation was decent, but not outstanding.

Cons

The continuous contention between US systems architects and deployment managers and the India-based engineering team made for a frustrating work environment. It constantly felt like our requests fell on deaf ears. It frequently felt like the engineering team had a thin skin, and that pointing out problem areas was interpreted as some kind of personal attack, or judgment of their competency. As a result, the work environment had an "us vs. them" feel. Over time, I felt like I was constantly pushing for changes I wanted to see, but nobody listened, or perhaps nobody cared. I felt like my energy to improve the company—which I wanted to do—was being stifled and crushed.

Please not only listen to employee concerns and complaints, but actually act on them. If you do not, sooner or later your employees will go somewhere their voices will be heard and feel like their contributions will have an impact.

Great potential, leadership with experience but not decisive enough to focus on a specific area

I worked at Guavus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good technology and built a lot of credibility in the market place as a leader and pioneer for streaming analytics

Cons

lost the plot and focus, ventured into too many areas, not successful outside Europe a major issue. Big Tier 1s have built their own big data teams so too much competition internally and also not able to innovate and keep abreast of the Hadoop distribution platform vendors.

Define the strategy and focus and stick to it. Too many chiefs and too few indians.

Burning the candle at both ends...

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Guavus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice home office. Great people and some nice technology.

Cons

They are falling behind and have not managed their money well. Recently had huge lay offs for support teams. Now people are being asked to do the work of 2 or 3 people. A lot of work and not enough man power to deliver. Slow to make changes and deliver newer cutting edge solutions and competitors are starting to out pace them.

Need less layers of management and more worker bees.

Guavus, the vision is faded

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Guavus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its a job in Big Data, good place to learn it and then move on to a better company. The field is exploding and opportunities abound, learn it here and move on to a better place.

Cons

Moribund culture in conflict with itself between management and those who perform the work as well as between their India 'brain trust' and the USA engineering and architecture groups.

You have too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Cut the management cronies instead of the engineers. Don't chase so many deals and shore up what you have already.

Great Career Opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Guavus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hot technology, Large Market share, Room for Career Growth

Cons

Hiring Managers lack of Process & motivation to get things done sometimes.

Success Starts at the top, were all following the examples your leading us by...

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Guavus

Pros

- Talented and experienced people, grateful to work among them
    - Friendly and collaborative culture
    - Flexible working environment, more than compensates for long hours
    - Exciting projects and new sales prospects
    - Challenging and interesting initiatives
    - Management very approachable
    - Efforts are recognized and rewarded
    - Great compensation and benefits

Cons

- Benefits FAR outweigh the cons
    - Growing pains are normal for rapidly growing companies

Great Vision, interesting technology

I have been working at Guavus

Pros

I've been working at Guavus for 2+ years. Company has great vision, and technology, and a solid thought leadership position in the global telco market. Flexible working environment, very smart people.

Cons

The company is growing fast, clearer product strategy would help.

Not worth it!

I have been working at Guavus

Pros

There are pros which you will find in any other company. Nothing new or overly excited so I will save some time for you.

Cons

- Throw under the bus culture by people at high level. No experienced management. Be ready to point for mistakes even though it is not your fault. Somebody has to be blame for if there is no success and it will be you. Managers will not be responsible. There are too many of these people in this company.
    - My way or highway culture. My way is good as long as it bring success but that is not the case. Management just try please their bosses and end up in failure and wait, it is not their fault, its yours
    - No proper direction by departmental management. Forwarding email culture without any guidelines, thought leadership or feedback. You are expected to assume everything and get it done.
    - Marketing has done a great job showing the difference in reality vs. perception. It is a good start up if you look from 30K feet in sky but don't dare to look inside.
    - Groupism and favor-ability at the highest levels.
    - No processes. People tend to run in all the direction and no focused work. You will be surprised to find that you are working on 5 different things at the same time given there is no product path.
    - Just keep talking about 30K feet view, be good to your boss, make them look good and you are safe.

Need some shakeup in management both in US and India. Bring people who has proven success and not just good relationships. Make some harsh decision in favor of success.