Guess?

www.guess.com

Guess? Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Guess? – Edmonton – “GUESS? Inc. West Edmonton Mall”

Guess? Vice Chairman and CEO Paul Marciano

Paul Marciano

Pros
  • Great fashions, excellent employee discount and good athmosphere(in 31 reviews)

• Everyday 40% discount regular priced items and 20% off sale(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No incentives if your store isn't top door, but high sales goals(in 21 reviews)

• While most upper management was pretty fair, there was some politics that got in the way sometimes(in 16 reviews)

Job Security? What's That?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBrand name looks good on your resume, employee discounts are nice, company throws great parties, casual office attire at the corporate offices

ConsNo job security, anyone can be fired at anytime and it happens. Don't think that just because you have been around for a long time that you are safe. There is a lack of logic in most of the decisions that come down from the top. Working here involved a lot of long hours and they expect you to come in on Saturdays at corporate, too. You basically get one day off a week, if you are lucky.

Great if you're self-motivated with an interest and passion for the Guess? brand, but definitely not for everyone.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Hollywood, CA

Pros-The employee discount is great and is a good incentive to buy the clothing to become familiar with it and have personal experiences to reference when customers have questions on quality, comfort, etc.

-As a part-time employee, our hours were based on our sales, so if you met/exceeded your sales goals, you would receive more hours.

-While the environment was competitive, the other employees cooperated well with each other to get things done when there was a lot of traffic in the store.

Cons-As stated above, hours were based on sales, so if you didn't do well with sales, you'd receive less hours.

-Although the store has individual sales goals for employees, the pay is NOT commission-based. So your base pay will stay the same regardless of meeting your goal for the day.

-Despite having fairly open schedule availability, there were certain days/times on that I specifically stated I was unavailable to work; yet the scheduling manager STILL scheduled me to work either past my available time frame or on days that I had explicitly said I was unavailable on multiple occasions.

-When I did work more hours it was usually because I was asked to come in on a scheduled call-in day. For those of you unfamiliar with call-in, you call the store two hours in advance before the clock-in time and they tell you whether they need you to work or not. Most of the days that I was scheduled as a call-in I did indeed end up working, so I would recommend avoiding making any important plans on those days for anyone interested.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupplying water machines for your employees (rather than having them as "customers only") would be great.

Great company but not much room for growth.

ProsPay
    Discount
    Work/life balance
    Great people, a lot of young talent

ConsNo growth
    Company great, depends who is your boss

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Has its advantages and disadvantages but overall i enjoy working there!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosgreat managers!
    great discount on clothes
    very easy to cancel your shift by just asking somebody else to come in.. very flexible and understanding hours !
    amazing clothes
    very organized and easy to follow how you are doing, also the managers always notice your improvements
    most of the employees are great and friendly, however some are a little crazy
    visits are not too stressful and the managers who visit are great as well

Consvery competitive environment, everybody tries to reach their target/goal and it often does not cause associates to like each other
    not for everybody, since it is very hard for some people to reach their goals
    wearing high heals for long hours can be very tiring

Advice to Senior Managementplease put some water machines

Eye Opening

Production Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsEmployee discount on clothing - if you're into this brand of clothing (pretty much copying all the competitors in the market anyway)

Cons-no room for advancement
    -pay is lousy
    -up until this last Nov it was all about who could give the most money under the table to the senior directors/VP of each division, which is how they decided who would manufacture the clothing (had a huge shake up & fired some senior employees that had been there for about 20 years, however I doubt this has changed the methods internally)
    -HR dept is a joke

Advice to Senior Managementclearly you are incapable of taking any suggestions, so there's no point in leaving suggestions. Its unfortunate this is a PUBLIC company - if only the stock holders knew what is really going on inside the walls of this "empire."

Has the potential to be a really great company but does not care about its employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome departments seem to have excitement and growth opportunities.

ConsThere needs to be more structure and a plan for every employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your employees more to determine whether they are satisfied.

Lacking more than anything

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

Prosdiscounts, work environment, fellow employees

Conslack of training, overworked, lack of communication, underpaid, lack of motivational strategies

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key!

Good company with great employee benefits and incentives.

Personal Stylist (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-Good employee benefits (starts after 6 months of working; includes health care, 401K and stock options)
    -Great employee incentives (bonuses, gift cards, 40% employee discount)
    -Store, district and regional managers support strong associates to move up within the company
    -Many internal promotions

Cons-Have to wear heels when working on the sales floor
    -The Number of hours scheduled is dependent on both individual sales and store sales (payroll)
    -High-volume stores are often very competitive

Awesome company!

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThis is a great company to work for if you're interested in moving up in the company. They definitely like to promote from within. Also, they have a way to make their employees feel special when they do a good job.

ConsRetail is general kinda sucks

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Unprofessional

Co-Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat discount, get to wear jeans to work

ConsNo structure, no corporate support, very high turnover in management

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to pay close attention to the type of managers they hire. There should be leadership and coaching skills. They also should reevaluate their training program and who does the training. Take care of your employees! When an employee gets injured on the job do not make them work or threaten their job security when they clearly can not perform their duties. Mileage was never paid until almost a year later and then it still was not right. There was no work/life balance. When scheduling was an issue (closing every fri/sat night for 4 months straight) and brought to Dms attention nothing was ever done nor talked about with SM.

Worked for Guess?? Contribute to the Community!