Guess?

Updated November 23, 2014
2.9

Guess? Vice Chairman and CEO Paul Marciano
Paul Marciano

Pros
  • Factory, you have 40% employee discount for regular price items and the markdowns are really good (in 32 reviews)

• You get a 40% discount and they are very flexible regarding a schedule (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • While most upper management was pretty fair, there was some politics that got in the way sometimes (in 17 reviews)

• They promote work life balance but don't really stand by it (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

If I had done more research, I wouldn't have accepted the employment offer.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Guess? full-time

Pros

-Good place for college students or people looking for part time work and extra money, since management is really good about accommodating to availabilities. Associates get between 5-30 hours

-If management, it looks good on your resume, because once you've worked there, you can pretty much run any store and all of its areas with no difficulty

-40% discount and 50% on bonus weekends.

-Incentive cards for employees working required amount of hours, if your store makes its goals

Cons

-They'll glamorize the position and work environment and try to sell you the "Guess Lifestyle", which I still haven't fallen for. But once you get there, give it a week or two before the rude awakening. It's all a terrible attempt at brainwashing, and sadly most management eats the words right up, or pretends to just to keep their jobs.

-The rumor mill there is on HIGH, Often, and unfortunately originating from management itself. It really is like a high school environment there.

-If you're an associate, they can AND will cut your shift with as little as a 20 minute notice, or once you get there, they keep you for an hour and then send you home if you're not selling. Mind you, this is not a commission based pay, but the pressure to meet an SPH is ridiculous

-Operationally it is dosorganized, and it shows on scheduling, because payroll is so limited that you're often cutting help that you could really use

-Permanent associate pay is minimum wage, while seasonals come in at a higher rate, which is completely unfair.

-Raises are rare, although they claim to do them once a year. This is an absolute lie.

-SM and DMs ride their associates, which results in high turn around and low morale. And even if you're one of the few good managers, you often find yourself battling a losing fight, since the negativity is king here.

-They micromanage you like it's nobody's business

-No opportunity for advamcement.

-They don't follow the vacation black out dates posted on corporate calendars, and always black out additional dates that shouldn't be.

-Work-life balance is non-existent for management, and if you take their offer, you better be ready to give up your life, since their constant messages and calls borderline harassment. Days off are just a saying, as they are not respected at all. And this is all expected of you and you are frowned upon if you don't respond to them on your day off.

-if you're salaried, be prepared to stay there at least 10-12 hours a day or usually more, and asked to give up your days off due to "business needs". Isn't this illegal?

-If you're sick, you're expected to bring a Dr. note even for a simple thing such as a fever, and having to find a replacement on short notice- which just results in sick employees showing up not being able to give their 100%, and possibly resulting in more staff being out due to illness.

-if you DO have a Dr. note, SM will often try to get you in before your allowed back to work time. Again, another huge HR issue.

-you NEVER get off on time (management or associates) , and are expected to be perfectly okay with It, and this company is really good at burning out all store employees.

-Their expectations for completing
    tasks are absolutely unrealistic, as they load your lists with things that require hours to handle, and want them done in a fraction of the time using as little payroll as possible. Only the SM has an office day, while the ASMs or CMs have to figure out when to complete their task on top of being out protecting the floor

-You're not viewed as a person, but rather a retail robot that's expected to not eat or sleep, and as soon as you get in bad with the SM, they will find bogus reasons to write you up and get you out the door, just because they're in a bad mood

Change your ways and update your policies to keep your employees around. Reputation is already spreading and people no longer want to be employed by Guess or remain there. Respect managements' days off. Stop riding your people to the breaking point; and keep your word about raises, especially for loyal and reliable employees- which is a rare thing in the retail world

Too Corporate

Former Employee - Planner in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Planner in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Guess? full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had some great like-minded teammates. Our cafe was very good. Spin, Yoga, and a fitness room was added benefits.

Cons

Extremely structured. Everyone worked from 7-6pm where we had 2 scheduled breaks. I couldn't get coffee at a random time unless it was on a scheduled break. Work-Life balance was not ideal. Exec team had a few great members, but one was very intimidating and could be downright mean. It would make your job very stressful and ALWAYS doubting your work. Overall atmosphere made me very unhappy. Long hours, the room we worked in had no windows, LOTS of pressure.

Team great but felt like was in high school

I worked at Guess? full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

loved my direct manager, great team to work with

Cons

strict regulations made it feel like we were children (certain break and lunch times, had to be in seat by certain time, etc)

Fun Environment

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Guess? full-time

Pros

Good opportunity for advancement if you show potential. Fun company to work for especially during events, and long lasting friendships are made.

Cons

Work life balance was slim as sales manager. Employees were paid very poorly for the work that was expected of them, and expected to dress in GUESS clothing that was expensive even after the discount. Quality of the clothing went down and the prices went up.

Love, Respect, Integrity: GUESS values makes me excited to come to work everyday.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Guess? full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being a company that's goal-driven, invested in making employees happy, and planning with succession strategies always encourages me to be 100% all the time.

Cons

Not specifically the company at but rather very specific co-workers I've worked with (that you would find in any workplace): when people are emotional, it is difficult to stay positive.

Stay positive, keep encouraging, always use positive reinforcement, and lead by example. Doing this, and results will come.

guess

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Guess? part-time

Pros

good managers i liked them

Cons

not enough pay, sadly thats retail

Review of My Time at Guess?

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Guess? part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount on quality merchandise
    Competitive environment between co-workers
    Flexible scheduling; Since no one is full time (besides management) you can work as much or as little as you'd like between 4-39 hours weekly.

Cons

Black Friday & Holiday scheduling is demanding
    More experienced associates are usually scheduled more hours
    Not commissioned, but you still have to meet sale goals

Move to commission-based pay.

management = sales associates who never really had any other options in life but to excel at a minimum wage job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Guess? part-time (less than an year)

Pros

50% discount
    ok clothes
    so many people quit, it's easy to be promoted

Cons

horrible pay: even with 50% off, I can't afford any of this stuff.

they chastised me for not wearing Guess?

managers who are so set in their ways. they love being a big fish in a little pond.

horrible training and HR. i was basically just thrown on the floor.

hahahaha enjoy it while you can. your company isn't doing well at all.

High sales pressure, pressure to spend all your earnings on the clothes, and strict managers

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Guess? part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Discounts on clothing
    - Per hour pay was a bit higher than other retailers
    - Nice store layout
    - Sales incentive prizes

Cons

- High pressure to sell
    - Managers were strict and not very friend

Good for extra income

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Guess? part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Is nice to work in GUESS? Factory, you have 40% employee discount for regular price items and the markdowns are really good.

Cons

Depends on the store (mine is a slow-paced store) you can have from 15hrs/weekkly to maybe 20-25hrs/week (shifts are 5hrs shifts). Just for an extra income.

More incentives...