Guess?

Updated January 24, 2015
2.8

Guess? Vice Chairman and CEO Paul Marciano
Paul Marciano

Pros
  • Factory, you have 40% employee discount for regular price items and the markdowns are really good (in 32 reviews)

• You get a 40% discount and they are very flexible regarding a schedule (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • They promote work life balance but don't really stand by it (in 12 reviews)

• While most upper management was pretty fair, there was some politics that got in the way sometimes (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible company, little to know hours and very little hourly pay

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redondo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Guess? part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meet new people and dress up everyday

Cons

Hours are solely based on how much you sell, and even then hardly an hours are given. If your not working during the holiday time especially you can forget about recieving good hours. 4.5-9 hours a week is all, and the most thats typically given is 13.5 which is still ridiculous. They make you work like crazy for very little pay. Trust, this company is NOT worth your time.

Give better hours, and don't hire a ton if people if you can't give good hours to begin with.

Great Company to work for

I worked at Guess?

Pros

Fun working environment! Great employee discount. Developed life long relationships with clients and coworkers. Paul Marciano left great voicemails for the entire staff to listen too!

Cons

You have to buy your own clothes (at a discount of course) but with low pay. At times it didn't seem worth it. Wish we made commission.

More development that leads to actual promotions.

Plenty of Growth within Company.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Guess? part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Clear company vision, promotions within company, career development, motivation, inspirational international brand, amazing discounts

Cons

Only the fact that they try to underpay

It used to be FUN! Until all the Politics....

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Guess?

Pros

When the company was making enough money to keep the executives happy the company was FUN!!! They cared about their retail field employees, there was so much tenure on a corporate and field level. We got annual reviews with raisies, great allotment on clothes and managers cared about their teams. Sales associates all had a part in the store and worked as a team.

Cons

There is no room for growth, your pay will be based on how good you look instead of your sales experience. And then told you can not discuss your pay. Upper management is not shy on having those discussions with you on how you look and what your wearing. And if your lucky, you won't be asked to sign a bogus write up for not wearing the product. Also that is if it's not current product that your wearing to your scheduled shift don't plan on getting hours and don't plan on being there for any executive visits you might cause a sore eye and have waisted your paycheck. You will consistently miss your 15 minute breaks due to being on two part coverage. (meaning only two people on the floor) Two employees must be in the store at all times for smaller stores, bigger store get more coverage. On a corporate level HR will not be attentive to internal complaints they will only interview you enough to see if you will have a case to sue the company. There are annual reviews that will lead to no raises. (3 yrs going) Please dont think of it as anything else but a job. The expectations that are put on you and stress to make your sales goal is not worth the nine dollars an hour. This is just a small token on what to be aware of when joining a store team. The company is struggling to stay relevant.

Care about your field teams. Please have a skilled buyer for product, two many head buyers with no direction for trends/style. (hence the yearly turnover) When you visit stores introduce yourselves, take a step in our shoes and wear that dress and heels that is demanded for your visits. And try to sell a bulk of 100 all same ill fitted dresses in 5 colors and see how that works. To stay relevant means to have to change with current times of fashion and what the customer wants. Not all jeans have to be highwaisted, your target audience can't afford it. Make your shareholders some money and take the company in an innovative direction.

Sales Specialist

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Guess?

Pros

Cool environment to work if in high school or college

Cons

Horrible pay, long hours, bad management

Allow opportunity for growth

Team great but felt like was in high school

I worked at Guess? full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

loved my direct manager, great team to work with

Cons

strict regulations made it feel like we were children (certain break and lunch times, had to be in seat by certain time, etc)

Horrible

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Elmhurst, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Elmhurst, NY

I worked at Guess? part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discount, Monthly employee appreciation, Contests (rigged) , I can't think of anything else

Cons

Management, Management, MANAGEMENT!!! Low pay, no commission . Terrible work environment.

You should hire more professional managers. Send district managers and the Director of Retail stores out more often to observe manager procedures and how managers work with their associates.
    I only lasted at this job for 3 weeks because they wanted me to have an SPH of $200/hr (which is perfectly fine with me) but they would not let me sell a thing, as i was stuck inside the fitting room helping other peoples sales FOR THE ENTIRE SHIFT. As a result, i was given 4 hours each week, which was not even enough to afford the metro card needed to commute to work.
    They also gossiped to much. Gossiped with associates and other store managers about customers and OTHER ASSOCIATES (queens location if you must know! - You're welcome;] ).

Fun Environment

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Guess? full-time

Pros

Good opportunity for advancement if you show potential. Fun company to work for especially during events, and long lasting friendships are made.

Cons

Work life balance was slim as sales manager. Employees were paid very poorly for the work that was expected of them, and expected to dress in GUESS clothing that was expensive even after the discount. Quality of the clothing went down and the prices went up.

Review of My Time at Guess?

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Guess? part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount on quality merchandise
    Competitive environment between co-workers
    Flexible scheduling; Since no one is full time (besides management) you can work as much or as little as you'd like between 4-39 hours weekly.

Cons

Black Friday & Holiday scheduling is demanding
    More experienced associates are usually scheduled more hours
    Not commissioned, but you still have to meet sale goals

Move to commission-based pay.

How unprofessional.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Guess?

Pros

Nothing whatsoever. Totally unprofessional.

Cons

Laid off 11 people, including me, after one day of work which was on Black Friday. We were seasonal hires but we were said to of worked till January. So, apparently, they only hired us for Black Friday (busiest time of the year). On top of that, I had to call them if I had a schedule, but instead they told me "sorry unfortunately...blah blah". Then they told me I got to wait two weeks till I get my pay check. Seriously!? Never going to shop here or apply to work here ever again.

Hire better management at the Las Vegas South Outlet Mall Guess? Store.

Guess? Photos

GUESS? Inc. West Edmonton Mall
Outside of guess, window display, flagship store

+ Add Photo