Guess? Reviews

Updated October 9, 2014
2.9

Guess? Vice Chairman and CEO Paul Marciano
Paul Marciano

Pros
  • Factory, you have 40% employee discount for regular price items and the markdowns are really good (in 32 reviews)

• You get a 40% discount and they are very flexible regarding a schedule (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • While most upper management was pretty fair, there was some politics that got in the way sometimes (in 17 reviews)

• They promote work life balance but don't really stand by it (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Volatile and Dramatic

I have been working at Guess? full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company has great discounts and benefits. The experience gained here is very helpful to anyone who wants to have a career in the retail industry.

Cons

Overall, working here is dominated by politics and drama. Word goes around the office like high school gossip, and everyone is scared of the CEO. Everyone has their own clique. People will only discuss certain matters depending on who you are and will put you in your place if need be. People are promoted based on favoritism and tenure.

Upper management should not have expanded to other brands if they are so concerned with product cannibalization. If the original GUESS? brand was priority, it should have been the only brand to focus on instead of hindering growth for the other brands.

What makes a great company is people.

Current Employee - Co Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Co Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Guess? part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Who does like fashion? And Guess is a great company to learn a lot more about trends, driving sales and customer service. Great discount.

Cons

Upper leaders like they like to call themselves think of themselves like aGod, so they like treating their associates with little respect ( at least in my store) there is no motivation and everyday they're are coming up with a different focus which takes away what we really need to focus which is customers and sales.

People are what make companies, the way the feel where they work is important because good vibes make anything possible. A company shouldn't be ran by who is who's favorite but by who works and shows passion and dedication. I've worked with many great leaders but the ones I have now have just pushed me away we the disrespect and mistreatment of the store manager and one of the cos. it's sad because I thought I would be able to grow old with Guess since the company is great, the people hmmm no that much.

Okay...

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Guess? full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, PTO, On-site gym, on-site cafe, on-site car wash.

Cons

No room for growth. Raises are rarely given, even when performing beyond expectations. Boring. Don't feel like you are working in fashion.

Invest in your people before everyone leaves. Change product! Workload is overwhelming. there's only a few people in each department where other companies have an entire team dedicated.

A pretty amazing place to work

Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Guess? full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall, it's the people you end up working with because no matter what, a job in corporate is a job in corporate. Guess had an amazing audit staff and everyone was always so willing to help out and answer any questions you may have had. The hours were pretty great and flexible except during the end of the month.

Cons

Difficult to move up or change positions unless someone decides to leave. Don't offer any plan or help for achieving your CPA so you're on your own for that one. Otherwise, everything was great

Consider providing more intensive training for people at lower levels

Current Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Guess? full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great management. Great opportunities. Chance for personal growth if you exceed standards.

Cons

Work life. No holidays off.

I would never go back.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Miami, FL

I worked at Guess? full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're lucky, the people you work with will be cool. The discount is nice.

Cons

Having to push people to buy was annoying. Being on top of them to make sure they don't steal is worse. Your floor sets are over night; once or twice a month and it really messes with your sleep schedule. And if you don't finish, you're expected to keep working even though you've been work since 9pm the night before and haven't had a break.
    You have to mathematically brake down your business results every night and leave a voice mail. Very antiquated system. They don't care about their people. There is no training program to help move you up. Favoritism is the name of the game.

You need to take care of your employees. Cultivate and have a consistent talent pipeline. Enforce an open door policy. Have better training. Upgrade your technology.

Good Company, Slow Growth

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Guess? full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like the people that I work with and the way they lay out everything for you. You are also able to switch a few things up when it is not working for your specific store.

Cons

Having to work weekends, but also 2 closing shifts. Whenever corporate are supposed to come visit the always bail on us. We are the factory store so we do get treated worse than all others. They do a lot for the retail stores and we just kind of hang in the background.

Bust your butt so that you can move up faster. Do not stop trying because once you do they will find a way to let you go.

its okay.

I have been working at Guess? part-time

Pros

nice people to work with. good manager.

Cons

ask you to work like a high end job with a min salary.

Flexible, but outgrew my duties.

Current Employee - Visuals in Arcadia, CA
    Current Employee - Visuals in Arcadia, CA

I have been working at Guess? part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful job when I was younger. Did not have to work weekends, I worked early in the morning and enjoyed not being a sales associate per my work personality.

Cons

More hours should be allocated to visual workers and stock associates so that they can keep par with company standard. I constantly found myself doing work and projects that would take 20 hours/week to complete yet I would only have two 4-hour shifts to complete. (8hrs). Not store management's fault, it's the district manager's.

Management is good.

Eh.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Guess? part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Big discount on merchandise, nice co workers

Cons

No incentives to sell expensive merchandise other than possibility of layoff, incompetent managers

Improve/implement incentive programs