Guess?

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

Guess? Vice Chairman and CEO Paul Marciano
Paul Marciano

Pros
  • Great fashions, excellent employee discount and good athmosphere (in 31 reviews)

• Everyday 40% discount regular priced items and 20% off sale (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No incentives if your store isn't top door, but high sales goals (in 21 reviews)

• While most upper management was pretty fair, there was some politics that got in the way sometimes (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

I learned a lot and have been able to take that with me for future employment.

Former Employee - Co-Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in New York, NY

Pros

One on one training, personal growth, benefits, seminars. Great promotions within the company. Can happen fairly quickly depending on how hard you work and understand the business.

Cons

Company values: upper management unprofessional.

Better communication. Better professionalism. Don't mix business with personal life.

Was fun at one time

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Good discount on the clothes. Employee bonus days almost once a month also good.
    Get to interact with variety of people, play with fashion and style customers.
    Learn a lot about retail/sales industry and basic inner-workings of a corporate structure and business procedures.
    Managers can be very understanding, it really all stems on communicating with them.

Cons

Little to any recognition or appreciation shown to high performing employees.
    A lot of politics come into play whether for receiving hours, getting promoted or in how one is treated by management.
    Pay is HORRIBLE with high expectations; this is NOT a high end luxury store yet, company would have you wanting to act as if it is. For barely above minimum wage, one cannot log the hours necessary to perform the way they expect individuals to perform or to have this store presented on the level that they want it to be considered.
    No commission or opportunities to receive increased pay; even if you are a top performer if you cannot log at least 30 hours weekly (which is impossible if you have bills and expenses to pay for and don't live with your parents) you become "invisible" and "ineligible" for advancement or raises.
    Managers can be highly hypocritical with "rules and regulations" and disrespectful to employees; extension of high school with the "have's" and the "have-nots"; can be a toxic environment as a result, employee morale is low.

Take more of vested interest in your employees and their needs.
    Corporate needs to be more realistic with what is ACTUALLY taking place in their stores, not just looking at numbers and statistics and putting undeserved pressure on lower management teams.
    Should be more opportunities for growth and advancement especially for those who demonstrate talent and potential.
    If no widespread commission then perhaps some sort of incentive whether it be bonuses for certain people that stay with the company for longer periods of time or some types of bonuses for top performers.

A learning experience.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Wayne, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Wayne, NJ

Pros

I learned about the ins and out of retail at GUESS. Decent discount. Great lifelong friendships were made here.

Cons

Upper Management took advantage of my flexibity, and made me feel I had to be available at all times. I was trained very poorly, and then blamed for not being trained properly.

Communicate, and follow-up.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

it was a dead end job

Current Employee - Stock Associate  in  Queens Village, NY
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in Queens Village, NY

Pros

co worker was good, play alot of truth and dare , no one had a personal issues with one another

Cons

managers was unprofessional they was sleeping with each other and outted there business in front of customers and workers

none

Pay isn't bad, management is severely lacking

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Skokie, IL

Pros

Everyone except the management in my location was really great
    Decent discount

Cons

Petty, drama-oriented management who didn't get along with each other
    Mandatory unpaid monthly meetings (makes sense for managers since they are salaried, but for assistant managers it's just unfair)
    Company promotes wearing bodycon dresses and other skimpy attire to work - very unprofessional in my opinion (upper management constantly told me I dressed "too plain" and literally made fun of me for not wanting to wear stilettos and tight dresses to work)

Great operational organization and good place to gain training...

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

Continued training and development, operational efficiency, solid work life balance, good benefits, high end retail

Cons

Constant turn over in DMs as they are promoted (a PRO for them, but not always a seamless transition), clientele can be difficult to communicate with and LP is a very real daily threat.

Remember your internal customer that you spoke about empowering and setting up for success that brought us all to your company.

Okay starter company

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Benefits: affordable medical, partial reimbursement for gym memberships and exercise equipment purchased, free on-site gym and classes, theme park and movie discounts, 50% off discount every 2-3 months and 40% all the time in between, corporate holiday party, computer training classes offered, on-site cafe

Cons

Very little growth opportunities but that seems to depend on the department, low compensation, no flex-time or telecommuting options compared to other companies, few paid holidays compared to other companies, some products are questionable

Check in with employees on personal level more than once a year during performance review. Work-life balance can be improved

Manager

Pros

Loved interacting with the customers and the close relationships with my team

Cons

District manager was a nightmare.

Be nice to the people that are killing themselves for you on a daily basis. There is a nice way to give people constructive criticism without tearing them down.

Climbing the ladder has never been harder.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

Pros

Generous discount on store clothing and accessories.
    Exposure to international fashion brand.
    Fashion forward individuals will enjoy creating new outfits and looks with Guess merchandise for customers.

Cons

Promotion process is lengthy if existent at all.
    Managers and the company do not treat associated well. If your an employee the constantly goes above and beyond for the company expect no recognition, swift pay raise, or special perks for your hard work.
    Commission has been removed from stores, so don't look forward to a boost in your minimum wage check.
    Monthly contests and associate promotions only provide more money for Guess. Instead of providing me with a check that will basically is a gift certificate for Guess why not give me that money as a bonus in my check for me to decide what to do with.
    Time-off/Sick days are non existent if YOU and I do mean if YOU, can not get suitable coverage for your shift.

Value your employees a lot more in order to keep the high performing ones around. I have seen so many amazing performing associated and even mangers quit or move on from the company in the pursuit of something better. This is a job you most certainly can not live off of. For those looking forward to living on your own and moving forward in a career in retail the climb up the ladder seems to stretch on forever.

Satisfactory

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Great management at my store. Give you product knowledge. Teach you how to be good at sales. Great team work. Flexible hours/work with school schedule and changes. You can grow with the company and ask to be promoted.

Cons

Very pushy with their numbers, like every couple of minutes they would remind us that we needed to sell sell sell. I hate that we had to work in heels. That is the worst ever. They should really change that part of the dress code

Change the heels requirement!

Worked for Guess?? Contribute to the Community!