Guest Services

3.2

Gerard T. Gabrys

Tube park operator

I worked at Guest Services

Pros

Easy job, cool people, half off on food

Cons

pay was awful, very cold

pay more

Challenging but educational as a first foray into hospitality

Former Employee - Manager On Duty/Night Auditor in Longmire, WA
    Former Employee - Manager On Duty/Night Auditor in Longmire, WA

I worked at Guest Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The ability to serve in a national park is an honor. The company strives for low cost options and accessibility.

Cons

The systems are outdated and personnel turn over is extremely high (75% of our 25 room hotel staff in one season).

Spend the money on facilities and systems and less on branding or merchandise. It is better to have a beautiful and well run place than a showy mask thrown on a rotting corpse.

Conferencing House Keeper

I worked at Guest Services

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

Lack of training and advancement. Employee mural very low.

Lots of employee turnover, but the location made it all worth it (Mt. Rainier National Park)

Former Employee - Various Positions in Paradise Inn, WA
    Former Employee - Various Positions in Paradise Inn, WA

I worked at Guest Services as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

A great group of people to live and work with. I made some life long friends here. After work there are great opportunities to go hiking in one of the most amazing places on earth. Its all about the adventure that surrounds the job and not the job itself.

Cons

Each year and throughout the season there's a lot of employee turnover. This includes the management team. The foods also not great, which is pretty key when the closest alternative is a 45 minute drive away.

Make sure that the team is all on the same page in terms of expectations and policy. There's nothing worse than being told one thing by one manager and another by your other manager.

One of the best companies I have worked for.

I have been working at Guest Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All the people I work with are friendly, helpful. All of the upper management, including the owners, are approachable, ready to help. They create a lot of get-togethers.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons of working with this company.

Keep doing what you're doing!

The Smartest Men In The Room

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Guest Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discounts on company properties and free lunch when you visit corporate.

Cons

I am not sure they understand the way the world works. They seem oblivious to the voice of employees or even consultants they hire. There is no structure for learning your actual job or how you will be measured. The compensation is below market. It becomes a slap in the face when you realize that the corporate employees have lunch prepared everyday on site.

Wake up!

Unsafe work environment, poor policies and procedures and poor pay

Current Employee - Tennis Pro in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Tennis Pro in Washington, DC

I have been working at Guest Services part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great location with a good pool of clients as there is no other competition for tennis centres in downtown DC unless you join a private club. Lots of tennis courts and great potential to become a premier tennis centre.

Cons

East Potomac Tennis Centre (run by Guest Services) is an unsafe and neglected work environment with a total lack of training and induction procedures. I've injured myself many times and made mistakes because the management would not provide training.

The management also lied to 2 new staff (myself included) about an increase in pay after 3 months at the centre then refused to deliver and is taking advantage of staff by paying some coaches between 30% to 70% less than other staff to do the same job (with no rationale for level of experience and qualifications). In 4 months of working here my pay has been incorrect more times than it has been correct and it is difficult to get management to pay money owed.

Policies and procedures put both coaches and clients at a disadvantage but are great money makers for management. When management has been advised of procedures that are unsafe and/or illegal, it is simply ignored. I have also been pressured to sign various acknowledgements that I have been trained on safety and emergency procedures when no such training or even reading material has been provided. The rates for clients continue to rise while the centre is neglected and the courts and equipment are in extremely poor condition and no pay increase is passed on to staff.

Turnover is extremely high due to the above.

Shine a spotlight on the management at this centre and you will see some gross incompetencies, poor choice of procedures/policies and management that is greedy to the point of ignoring blatantly illegal practices and basic business sense. After doing some simple calculations myself, the amount of money the head coach is pocketing at the expense of the coaching staff, the centre, administration staff and clients is excessive and he has no accountability and is therefore getting away with it.
    ALL staff and clients at this centre have spoken to me about their dissatisfaction with almost every aspect about the centres running and management. Action must be taken as this centre will not remain without competition forever. As soon as a viable alternative is available in DC this centre will lose its clientele and staff instantly. 90% of my clients have expressed a wish to leave the centre and when I move to a new tennis centre my clients will follow me.

Unstable, feels like a sinking ship

I have been working at Guest Services

Pros

Great Coworkers, higher up corporate management actually visits the property occasionally, beautiful location, can purchase insurance through the company, holiday pay

Cons

High turnover rate especially in management. Unstable work environment. Must work on holidays with no consideration for family/work life balance. Schedule is unpredictable and often work 8-9 days in a row before getting a day off in the busy season. Little training with high expectations. Understaffed for the volume of visitors and incoming calls. Disorganized. Management is only interested in making money at the expense of their employees and continually make poor decisions that negatively affect business. "Everyone is expendable" attitude from management.

Please stop by your properties more often and unannounced so that the lower level management doesn't have time to cover up the things they don't want you to see. Don't fire your employees without warning and at the very least give them a reason so they may learn from the experience. Provide better training. Hire more employees to spread out the work. Acknowledge the hard work of your employees.

It's a fun and interesting job.

Current Employee - Assistant Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Guest Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You meet new people, your always busy, management is great. You also can grow with the company and before you know you are management. The benefit package is great too!

Cons

HHHmmmmm.....theirs not really a lot on the downside.

Get to know the employees a little better. Don't just be a vision, be a person a friend

I have worked for Guest Services for 2 1/2 years and its one of the best companies I've ever worked for.

I have been working at Guest Services full-time

Pros

Health benefits are unbelievable and everyone in the company is a pleasure to work with.

Cons

A little too much overtime with out given time off.

I think if you have to work overtime, you should be given extra time off.

Guest Services Photos

From left to right, top to bottom" Corporate Office Fletcher's Boat House Indian Craft Shop Indigo Landing Bear Mountain Inn Mount Rainier Canaan Valley Resort

+ Add Photo