Guggenheim Partners
www.guggenheimpartners.com Chicago, IL 1000 to 5000 Employees

Guggenheim Partners Reviews

Updated May 31, 2014
Guggenheim Partners – “330 Madison Ave. NY”

Mark Walter

Nice place

ProsIts great to work at a privately owned firm

ConsNo real cons I can think of...

Growing company in many locations

Vice President (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsLots of opportunity for career

ConsLimited training except for hands on

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication

Static Business Model

Senior Vice President (Current Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsEstablished brand name, travel encouraged, high profile clients

ConsSmaller company with substantial politics between business managers and business owners

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, a good experience but I wouldn't be interested in returning.

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThey were very clear with the process and everything. HR was really helpful throughout and made an effort to prepare you.

ConsThe interviewers were pretty narrow minded and didn't seem comfortable discussing issues outside of their comfort zone.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook outside of typical banking prerequisites. Try to encourage growth among the youngest group of analysts.

Think of Guggenheim as a 2000+ employee start-up.

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThey take care of you. Even in 2008 when other (mostly public) financial firms were massively laying off people, Guggenheim didn't lay off anyone. One of the advantages of being a private firm-- no public shareholders to pressure you... (Our bonus and salaries didn't do that well, but it was better than being unemployed that's for sure...). They try to move you around to other parts of the firm if they need to trim down your business unit, which has happened to me and many other people I know within the firm. Great perks like free Vitamin Water/Soda and food in the pantries on every floor. We moved to a new building in 2013 so the place is very clean and new and nice. (I worked here for 7 years, our old office had more personality but it was cramped and just didn't work for the growth/size of our firm). A lot of the business units work independently, which is a pro and a con: each one can be drastically different in terms of culture-- so I can't tell you about XYZ department and how it is there if I work in ABC department. For example, the Investment Banking division is a mystery to me (that's the group run by ex-Bear Stearns CEO Alan Schwartz): they are off in their own secluded world (part of that is due to the securities law ("Chinese Wall") and exists at any Wall Street firm).

ConsChaotic (typical of fast growing startups), except this "start-up" is 2000+ employees and still growing (mostly via acquisitions): This means your role will not be clearly defined, management will be chaotic and you basically have to self-manage. If you need structure and hand-holding, this is definitely NOT the place. Think: it's a huge start-up. If you like that, you'll like it here and thrive and grow with the firm.

Any financial firm has "managers" who aren't actually great managers (managing people and work)-- they just got there because they are good at what they do and/or make money for the firm. Guggenheim is no different: managers here don't know how to manage/lead. It's a bit of a mess, but some how the firm makes a lot of money and keep growing, so something *is* working but a textbook management person would say this is a disaster...

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better interaction between the different business lines.
    Need to train the managers and senior management better in how to actually MANAGE people and time (get them training or actually hire professional managers (e.g. project managers)?)
    Hold more firm-wide events to create opportunities for networking and getting to know our co-workers. (This has improved a lot in the past 1-2 years, but could use more work...)

Great people, great company that cares.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey care to develop their employees, and they pay well worth the hard work put in every day. They treat their employees very well and make sure they know that they are important to that. Scott Minerd is a strong leader and near genius.

ConsCan be long hours, but again, Guggenheim has great packages and they give back for what you put in.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow!

Guggenheim is great company.

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros- Growing so opportunities to stay and move up within the company are there... As the company grows I think they will become better and developing new hires.

Cons- I do not have to many negative things to say. I think the biggest concern is lack of exposure to the big picture.

This one time sleeper company is now on everyone's radar and will continue to grow.

Chicago, IL

ProsTremendous opportunity and now a major player with recent acquisitions but the firm is still in flux with its tremendous growth.

ConsDisorganized and a lack of 21st century technology

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees at least once a year. Most new people to the firm don't know what you look like or anything about you.

Great company

ProsGreat culture and strong work ethic

ConsLack of transparency between and within divisions

Run from the Insurance Division

Accountant (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe organization as a whole appeared to be respectful to its employees and the pay is pretty good. But the Indianapolis office is not like the rest of the organization, the only redeeming quality is pay, and that's because its directed by corporate.

ConsManagement of the Indy office have a hate, hate relationship with its employees, require 70+ hour work weeks, don't communicate, and are vindictive at best. This is by far the worst place to work. Run don't walk from this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange management of the Insurance division. When executives won't ride in an elevator with staff, or attend the company Christmas party that they were required to throw, you have a problem.

Worked for Guggenheim Partners? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Guggenheim Partners reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Guggenheim Partners CEO Mark Walter . All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Guggenheim Partners employees.