Guidance Software Reviews

Reset
3.5
Guidance Software President and Chief Executive Officer Patrick Dennis
Patrick Dennis

Pros
  • Great products, smart people, good work ethics, team spirit and good pay (in 6 reviews)

• Good people can be found with real skills (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management could survive without knowing the product and what it could do (in 6 reviews)

• No one should ever have to work in such a toxic environment (in 5 reviews)

1. Don't do it! Keep looking! This is a hostile work environment with no qualified thought leadership!

Former Employee - Development Manager in Athol, ID
    Former Employee - Development Manager in Athol, ID

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay
    Good opportunities for advancement due to high turnover rate

Cons

The company is not interested in making quality, relevant products - the development road map is and always has been primarily about following the whims of the founder and CTO without thought to the needs of customers or the industry in general.
    Their product used to be a leader in the security and investigative market, but has now been surpassed by nearly every other vendor in the space, due to lack of understanding of the industry, security thought leadership, and innovation.
    The work environment has been toxic for years and ruthless incompetence and bullying has always been rewarded. Hard work and innovation is punished, particularly if it is not in line with the development whims of the founder.
    Senior leadership lacks the industry foresight, business acumen, and interpersonal skills required to be successful at their jobs and those in leadership whom are not in the never-ending revolving door consist of a handful of close-knit insiders who pass blame for their failures onto new victims who consistently roll through.
    HR is oppressive and in no way supports employees, but is used as a weapon to accomplish leadership objectives. As such, turnover is extremely high and has been for years.
    High quality talent does not stick around. As such, their products suffer.
    Benefits are terrible - really, really bad
    Work-life balance is non-existent
    Work from home or remote work only possible if you are one of the original insiders

Advice to Management

Long-time senior management should step aside and be replaced by those who understand the current security and investigative industry and combating modern threats. Moreover, senior management needs to learn how to listen to smart talent they have hired instead of penalizing them for having a difference of opinion. Look at all of the quality talent you have lost in the last 10 years and think about why. Also, it would be wise to abandon the scorched earth policy for those who have left and try to regain some of the top talent that has left.

Jun 26, 2015

Thank for your review. We’re very sorry you feel this way because we really do value our employees and we take your concerns very seriously. We've recently made significant changes in our management ... More

Don

I worked at Guidance Software

Pros

The market is very interesting

Cons

Same legal strategy, same technology strategy, and same financial strategy. This is not really a tech company. It's company built and still managed by people that haven't worked in the tech sector. They either grew up at the company or came from outside of technology. Including HR who is supposed to be hiring real tech employees. All of their best employees were fired and now work at competitors who have higher marketshare and higher analyst rankings. They did a press release on a new marketing leader and she was gone within weeks. Same thing happened to their Channels guy years back. They have a revolving door of Marketing leads.

Advice to Management

Get a conscience.

Jun 12, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're very sorry you feel this way. We take your concerns very seriously and we're sharing your feedback with management so that we can strive to ... More

Recruiter review

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Guidance Software

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Management for the recruiting department was terrible. Turn over is high. As a recruiter, it's tough to get good talent because the salaries Guidance offers is low in the market.

Advice to Management

Rethink how you hire people. Treat good employees well.

Jun 9, 2015

Thank you for your review. We’re sorry you feel this way. Offering competitive salaries and attracting great people is one of Guidance Software’s top focuses. In fact, we recently put in a place a ... More

Anonymous

Current Employee - Anonymous in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software

Pros

Aside from the fact that the product is really good, there is not much else that is good lately. We get free food from time to time and we have periodic happy hour.

Cons

Slow on product releases; too much drama; and the CFO is not to be trusted.

Advice to Management

Take caution in the fact that the fox is guarding the hen-house.

Jun 3, 2015

Thank you for your feedback and review. We appreciate how you take pride in our products and we'd love to hear your thoughts about our product release process as we're always looking for ways to ... More

No words can describe how poor the experience was

I worked at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Good product and amazingly loyal customers

Cons

Working at Guidance full stop

Advice to Management

Sell the company to a Security vendor such as Intel or Symantec. Stop pretending to be an Enterprise vendor

Jun 4, 2015

We're sorry you feel this way. We've recently made significant changes in our management team and welcomed some new leaders...people with true passion about our company and product, and a real focus ... More

Some great employees and also some horrible ones that they can afford

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They got rid of a lot of the executive leadership recently and replaced it with new people. A lot of people on the old executive leadership team, particularly HR and Professional Services, were useless.

Cons

Heavy turnover. They have some great employees but a lot of their employees are underpaid and not the best in the industry. They are not getting new clients so they are operating on a poor budget, which means they can keep great talent.

Advice to Management

A culture change is heavily needed here.

Jun 3, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. We are excited about our new leadership. Our new sales and customer leadership is having a really positive impact. As you may have heard in our last earnings call ... More

Guidance Software's top management in R&D does not have ears to the ground and does not treat employees well.

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Till the time there were no micromanagement in the company, employees were taken care off, new ideas were encouraged.

Cons

Micromanagement
    Loyalty has no value
    Not much growth prospects

Jun 4, 2015

Thank you for your review and comments. We're sorry to hear about your experience. We've recently made significant changes in our management team and welcomed a team of new leaders...people with true ... More

No place for women to grow

Current Employee - Services in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Services in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work with a bunch of smart people, there was at one time a strong female presence, but now we are left with dopey women that make all women look bad.

Cons

I have worked here for nearly 5 years and have seen women and minorities just fall to the side. Now, the last female executive just left, it's back to being the boys club.

Advice to Management

Notice the strong women at guidance and promote from within!! This is looking more and more like a white boy club. It's unfortunate that the new executive team can't see that women have value. VP of PS will be missed.

Jun 3, 2015

Thank you for your feedback and review. Recently, we assembled a new HR management team. One of the team's key focuses is on building a diversity program to attract and retain more women in the ... More

10. never again

Former Employee - Sales in Sales, Galicia (Spain)
    Former Employee - Sales in Sales, Galicia (Spain)

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

a solution for digital forensic far away from an enterprise solution

Cons

no vision, no leadership, to much political from top down, no place for someone with her/his brain - ideas.

Advice to Management

it started with the change in management - look for experienced market players on c-level

Jun 4, 2015

Thank your for your review. We're very sorry you feel this way. We take your concerns very seriously. We recently made significant changes in our management team and also welcomed a team of new ... More

One of the worst companies I have ever worked. Glad I left before I was laid off as mini lay offs are very common.

Former Employee - Professional Services
    Former Employee - Professional Services

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work from home or client site in professional services

Cons

lack of vision/direction
    job stability is completely lacking
    very high turnover

Advice to Management

Have some respect for your employees. Frequent layoffs or letting go people is not good for morale. Understand what employees are contributing instead of viewing employees as replaceable cogs.

Jun 3, 2015

We're sorry you feel this way. Recently, we made significant changes in our executive team and welcomed some new leaders. One of this team's key focuses over the coming months will be to develop ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed